BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

metallic "ringing" noise on acceleration

Tags
525i e34 noise
21K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  kjmil920 
#1 ·
93 525i, 5 spd, on acceleration and deceleration there is a loud metallic ringing sound from underneath. Don't hear it when revving in neutral. Any ideas?

#2 ·
a tranny squeeling sound or a catalytic converter coming apart sound?

#8 ·
+1

Does it make a similar noise when you shut off the engine?
My next question was similar. is it ONLY while accelerating or decelerating?

#12 ·
See if there is a way to take an audio or video recording of it. You will most likely get an answer then.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer

#14 ·
ringing sound problem on E34

I have experienced a similar sound initially when I bought My E34 that was unused for almost 6 yrs but kept in running condition. Have run pillar to post including the Exhaust repairers where finally the sound was rectified to be from Brake Disk and pad on the front right wheel. There are 2 shims on either ends of the pad to have a snug fit within the caliper, but somehow one of them was found missing which was allowing the pad to rattle and give this kind of a ringing sound on revving the vehicle to get in motion from stop. I am sure that this is your problem 99%.

#20 ·
This may be "pinging" under acceleration in ahigher gear with a load. Can happen if low octane or substandard fuel is used. This is also known as spark knock. Just guessing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.