BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 rear window regulator repair kit available (E39 up to 6/99)

200K views 385 replies 178 participants last post by  WhoFlungPoo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK,
Since my post about my repair of the rear window regulator over at bimmerforums it was suggested that I post here so that inexpensive fix could be spread across the E39 community.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=860874

I've been asked if I could produce the parts to make the repair. I've torn apart my good door to get measurements and have everything ready to go to make repair kits available for those of you that are interested. These parts will be nice, not like what are pictured in my original repair.

The repair kit will include parts to repair 2 rear window regulators for the typical broken slider problem. The kit will include the repair parts, nuts, bolts, proper drill bit, hex key, and instructions with pictures. All you will need are basic hand tools and a drill. To keep from having to print a lot of stuff I plan to send the instructions by email so be aware.

I'm not planning on getting rich here just helping other E39 owners with what is a common and expensive repair. Oh yeah, the price is $15 shipped in the US. I know sticker shock.... and I can take PayPal if it makes things easier.

These parts will only fit the rear regulators not the front.

If you are interested send me a PM and I'll hook you up, if this post breaks the rules delete it and you have my apology.

Thanks,
Lance

http://www.bmwrepairkit.com/

See less See more
#39 ·
Will this kit help me?

Drivers side rear window failed to go up or down - pressing the swtich activates the motor which remains on until the opposite direction on the switch is chosen.
Took the door panel off and the glass was wedged in the shut position with a piece of wood!!!!!
:mad:
If this kit will solve the problem then please put me down for 1 set.

#40 ·
Drivers side rear window failed to go up or down - pressing the swtich activates the motor which remains on until the opposite direction on the switch is chosen.
Took the door panel off and the glass was wedged in the shut position with a piece of wood!!!!!
:mad:
If this kit will solve the problem then please put me down for 1 set.
I'm afraid that you may be past fixing that regulator, look and see if the cable is still there. I think that with the motor running until the other direction is selected means that the cable is broken, if it is broken this repair kit won't fix it. :(

Lance

#53 ·
Lance - You Rock! It took me roughly 4 hours to complete both windows. There was a little sanding and quite a bit of adjusting due to the metal getting tweeked, but the end result was perfect. Seriously, every E39 owner should know about this, because its a matter of when, not if!

Thanks!

Best $15 dollars I've spend in a while!

#57 ·
Hey Lance,
I never got your mail about how to get a repair kit. Could you please try again?
jayse88@hotmail.com or
jsaesaue@stanford.edu

thanks again. From what I hear you are reaching super hero status.

j.
Email sent to both addresses, one should get through! Don't know about that super hero stuff but I think I've been able make some people happy, and that's all good!

Lance

#58 ·
please let me know how to purchase

lol, I have had my car for a week the guy said there was a fix out there... i was giving a ride to my girlfriends nephew and the first things he did was roll the window down!! anyways my window is stuck down, I hope this $15 fix can save me big bucks. please e-mail me on how to order one of these.

greg dot lobato at gmail dot com

thank you!!

#59 ·
lol, I have had my car for a week the guy said there was a fix out there... i was giving a ride to my girlfriends nephew and the first things he did was roll the window down!! anyways my window is stuck down, I hope this $15 fix can save me big bucks. please e-mail me on how to order one of these.

greg dot lobato at gmail dot com

thank you!!
Done

#60 ·
What is up with E39's?
Sunroof won't pop up and only slide...
2 front has problem... started to hear click sound than stop working few days later...
2 rear windows...one day these SOB stop working...

Can't wait till someone comes up with front repair kit.... I was able to fix my two rear with something similar as your LanceM.
Ugggg hot weather here in Denver sucks when your windows doesn't work... and wait till AC kicks-in... ;)

#68 ·
No go for 2001-2003 E39's (or cars with regulators that were replaced since 2001)

I have no idea of the exact cut off when the rear window regulators were improved, but my car was built in May 2001, and had one rear window regulator replaced in 2002 or 2003. This kit will NOT fit the rear window regulators on my car. I should have taken a picture, but the area where it would go has been redesigned to eliminate the weak point (now made from aluminum, not plastic, and designed differently). I had a BMW tech attempt to install them today and he showed me the difference, and we compared with the photos in the installation instructions, they are very different!

So I asked him why I had one fail anyway, and he said there are still plenty of other plastic parts in there that crack and fail, including the spool the cable winds on. Oh well. I gave the kits to my tech, as he owns a 99 540, so they should fit on his car, and he has a broken one right now. ;) He said even with his discount, those rear regulators are about $150 to $170 each. He said the normal customer price is over $300!

#69 ·
Thanks for the info! I did some looking on realoem and it appears that 3/99 may be the change over to a new regulator. This was the first that I've heard of a difference, wish you would have taken a pic so we could see the difference. I'll make a note that this kit only works on pre 3/99 vehicles.

Lance