BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Codes: 2883, 2882

20K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  jdeday 
#1 ·
SES light comes on my X3 2005, 3.0 and codes 2883, 2882 (mixture preparation Bank1 and Bank2) pops up after scanning for error.
Engine sometimes runs slightly rough when in parking or neutral position. Also codes 2746, 2747 and 274E, which means cylinder #2, cylinder #4 and all cylinders misfire showed up several times.
I've changed all spark plugs, oxygen sensors 1 & 2, air intake boot, air filter, gas cap and inspected DISA valve. Also did reset SES light, but it's coming back after about 50 miles of driving.
Any suggestion?

#2 ·
How many miles on it? Crankcase ventilation parts been replaced yet? May not be related to the misfires, but maybe the mixture prep codes. I'm struggling with a similar issue but without the misfire codes, just a bad loping idle. trying to figure out how to measure fuel flow,not just pressure on mine to eliminate that.

#4 ·
yeah, good thread under x3 forum titled "ccv and oh disa" or something like that, i searched ccv i think. quite a pain, i got everything taken apart last night and am getting ready to put the new hoses and oil seperator on. it's so buried that it makes you wanna take the whole intake manifold off but i don't think you have to and then you'd really be in deep.

#5 ·
at 95k I would almost bet your CCV is toast, what are the generic OBD codes? my CCV failed (hole in a hose and broken valve) and threw a lean bank code on both banks, I had a severe loping idle when cold and a slightly loping idle when warm, felt like it was missing. the shop I took it to removed the intake manifold to do the job, but you CAN do it without doing that, its just more difficult. I also replaced my intake boot at the same time, it was ripped on the small bellows.

#7 ·
I never pulled the BMW codes, all I know is when mine failed it threw lean bank on both banks and it ran exactly like you are describing AND thats the only thing you have not changed...kinda narrows it down
do a search on the E46 side, those guys get all kinds of crazy codes when the CCV fails

#14 ·
codes 2883 2882

hey .. i have a 2006 x3, has tsb for these faults for no oe filter , have replaced the filter and the ccv , then smoke tested intake no leaks, no one has ever replaced a mafs for this problem, i am a technician, why the idle air control valve ? what does it stick open for a second and let too much air in for a second, and send the vehicle into somekind of limp home mode? just curious before i throw a part at it,it just slides into intake next to t body right?

#15 ·
if it wont idle and you have the same codes, i strongly suggest putting in the iac. it is not easy or fun but not terrible and its the most likely cause. not sure what happens to it. good idea to have a new air intake boot if there is any wear on the original.

#17 ·
damn 2883 2882

i was so excited to hear of the iac repair i went straight to work the next day and replaced it, i didnt have an idle issue but thought maybe it was sticking or not moving quickly enough, replaced valve reset codes, reset monitors, vehicle drove completely different more responsive and shifted like it did when i got it , then two days later call from wife , cel back on again, same faults.. i have a freind at the local bmw dealership and will be taking it in on monday, to see if it just needs updates or possibly i have the only x3 that actually needs a mafs, cant wait to get this figured out . will be in touch with the actual repair.

#18 ·
i was so excited to hear of the iac repair i went straight to work the next day and replaced it, i didnt have an idle issue but thought maybe it was sticking or not moving quickly enough, replaced valve reset codes, reset monitors, vehicle drove completely different more responsive and shifted like it did when i got it , then two days later call from wife , cel back on again, same faults.. i have a freind at the local bmw dealership and will be taking it in on monday, to see if it just needs updates or possibly i have the only x3 that actually needs a mafs, cant wait to get this figured out . will be in touch with the actual repair.
I am having similar issues. What was the conclusion?

#19 ·
from super course ....don't know if he's around but has loads of great inputs

2882 and 2883 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
View My Garage
If the 2882 and 2883 codes were obtained with a Peake scan tool,
you might find that with a standard OBDII scanner you get the more common P0171 and P0174 codes

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540526

#20 ·
2883, 2882 solved

Hello. An update to my issue. My error was solved by replacing both the fuel pump and fuel filter. This was a relativity easy DIY that anyone could do. My X3 has 205K miles on the clock, if you are approaching this type of mileage I would suggest replacing these items as a preventative.

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.