BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

You have $2000 and a 2007 e90 335i w/ sport pkg!! What do you do??

12K views 78 replies 22 participants last post by  ModBargains III 
#1 ·
I recently bought an 07 e90 335i equipped with the sport package. The paint is "Crimson Red" i believe.

I am looking to dump around 2 grand into a couple mods, possibly more if someone here can convince me its worth it =D.

Here is a rough guideline of what I would like:

-Good sounding mufflers (your opinion obviously) (do not want a full exhaust)(not too loud, i like just a healthy athletic sounding purr)

-18 inch rims, (What width would fit well front and back? and i need some help with the offset.) (Id like them to be black, i like the look) (They must not be too expensive and i would like to be able to fit the stock 225/40/18 Front and 255/40/18 Rear tires on it, but still go as wide as those tires would allow)

-I dont know much about the different tunes for the 335, i know cobb is one of the good ones. Please give me a bit of info on pricing and ballpark power gains.

Also, feel free to throw in ANY little less noticable tasteful modifications you like on a e90!

Use your imagination, what you got for 2 grand?? (about):dunno:

Not my car, but looks exactly like this:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I recently bought an 07 e90 335i equipped with the sport package. The paint is "Crimson Red" i believe.

I am looking to dump around 2 grand into a couple mods, possibly more if someone here can convince me its worth it =D.

Here is a rough guideline of what I would like:

-Good sounding mufflers (your opinion obviously) (do not want a full exhaust)(not too loud, i like just a healthy athletic sounding purr)

Not a performance priority.

-18 inch rims, (What width would fit well front and back? and i need some help with the offset.) (Id like them to be black, i like the look) (They must not be too expensive and i would like to be able to fit the stock 225/40/18 Front and 255/40/18 Rear tires on it, but still go as wide as those tires would allow)

What, you have a sport pkg w/o 18" rims?

-I dont know much about the different tunes for the 335, i know cobb is one of the good ones. Please give me a bit of info on pricing and ballpark power gains.

JB4 - read all about it but do suspension mods first.
Also, feel free to throw in ANY little less noticable tasteful modifications you like on a e90!

Your suspension is, put mildly, weak. Start with a Limited Slip Differential ~1K + install.

Move to matched shocks & springs. $1k gets you FSD's for use with stock springs.

Oh dear, out o'cash! Start savin' for those M parts....

And prepare for repairs.

#3 ·

Your suspension is, put mildly, weak. Start with a Limited Slip Differential ~1K + install.

Move to matched shocks & springs. $1k gets you FSD's for use with stock springs.

Oh dear, out o'cash! Start savin' for those M parts...
I'm not looking for on track performance. I'm looking for a cruiser that sounds nice and looks nice and has a bit extra power on the highway.

Don't need suspension or an LSD for that. I do have 18 inch rims I just do not like how those 18s look. As I said.. I want a set of black ones unless I can get a good deal on some real rims like bbs's or something.

I really appreciate your input and will absolutely look into that tune. Thanks :D

#6 ·
Congratulations on your new car! I just picked up my 335i a few weeks ago and have been thinking about a few mods as well, but don't want to spend too much.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Wheels: (about $1000)

VMR V710 in black staggered 19x9 front and 19x10 rear

There are some other wheels on eBay that look the same, but I am not sure of the quality. They are priced around $595 for a staggered set of four.

2. Tires: ( guessing $650-$1000 check tire rack)

Budget: Hankook V12: very nice tire, good grip, somewhat harsh ride. Will most likely put these on the 335i this summer.
Best: Michelin Pilot Super Sport: superb grip, quiet, firm ride. Have them on The M6.

3. Performance: JB4 and DCI. I will be ordering this soon. Seems to be the best bang for the buck performance wise. ($600)

4. Cosmetic: I don't like much chrome on my BMWs, but if you are running black wheels it has to go.

-black and white roundels ($60)
-paint grill surround black and leave vertical slats chrome - see my signature and paint 335i badge black ($5)
-vinyl wrap chrome window trim and chrome on front bumper ($40)
-tint side markers and orange in headlamps ($20)

Of course if you go with 18's you will use existing tires a d save on wheels. I will let other members comment on exhausts as I do not plan on adding one and have not researched one. Not sure how a muffler delete sounds on this car, but you will be limited on both wheels and exhaust with a $2000 budget.

#13 ·
For your stated goals, you definitely don't need sways or LSD. I would agree with Cal that you should still consider the Koni FSDs though. By all anecdotal evidence, they will deliver a better ride over cracked pavement, even if you don't care about the improved cornering.

I'll read between the lines: you listed more power as last, and said you just wanted a "little." Given that it's a low priority for you, and your low budget, I'd say forget about tuning the engine. Your money would be better spent on good rims and cosmetics, the stuff you'll really use and notice every day.

#15 ·
The first thing I would advise you to purchase is a new steering wheel. I purchased one for my '09 328i; the M sports steering wheel is amazing. It is the only part in the car that you are in almost constant contact with (besides the seat). Tischer has them for $425 right now. Trust me...make this upgrade

#17 ·
This is a great suggestion!

#26 ·
Update to my previous post, with some photos:

Used Cobb and a set of Apex EC-7s. Apex wheels are very lightweight (some under 19 pounds each), rotary forged (strong), well made, and not priced out of this world. Arc-8s are even lighter than the EC-7s.

Both setups below are aggressive but require no modifications (fender rolling, etc). Apex is great at helping you do anythign from direct bolt-on fitment to very aggressive track setups. I've never heard anythign but good things about them, and know a few folks that run them on track for both HPDE/DE and SCCA racing.

I'm deciding between the two setups below for spring.

EC-7s on an E92:

Arc-8s on an E92:

#39 ·
Replace all fluids and filters (DIY) and save the money for repairs

Check prices of replacement tires before committing to new wheels

Aftermarket exhaust are great, but think twice if it's a daily drive. Same with super-stuff non adjustable suspension

The turbo boost modules seem great value for the money on 335i engines, was almost tempted myself but don't need any more power

#40 ·
Realistically for the first couple months of having the car i am going to ONLY POSSIBLY do the jb4. And i was looking for wheels that will fit stock tires because i know thats quite an added expense.

I want to get used to the cars smoothness and stock power first though. only when i need more power will i modify. it just seemed inevitable.

#43 ·
Use your imagination, what you got for 2 grand?? (about):dunno:
Do you have winter tires?

If not, I'd buy a set on dedicated wheels with TPMs. With any change left from the $2k after that, I'd look at....

...alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
After that, I might think about performance modifications.

#45 ·
I looked it up -- the snow tires, BMW wheels and TPMS were about $2k. For the parts.

I'll guess that I've dropped about $2k on other small stuff for the wagon. Floor mats, etc. ECS sells the autodim Euro split-view mirrors for $598.95/set.

$0 was spent on aftermarket performance modifications, which are pretty much a waste on a 328i anyway.

#46 · (Edited)
Just for the record, my recent purchase of the OZ Racing Ultraleggera (18x8 all-round) + 4 Pirelli Sottozero Serie IIs (225VR18) cost just over $2200.
And each wheel was 18.3 pounds. That combined with the lighter Pirellis vs the Summer Michelin Pilot Super Sports, means my winter setup nets me over 50 pounds of savings in unsprung weight.

#66 · (Edited)
They look too big to me. You 35 sections barely clear the wheel well right.. these are 60 section albeit a bit narrower at 225

Tire rack has 17" Winter Packages for the 335i. Gets pricey with TPMS sensors, shipping and tax though.

#73 ·
Quick update, I picked up my 335i this past monday and i must say, i love it. It is damn fast and i havent been in any other car that gets you to 120 so quick AND makes it seem like youre only going 80.

I did order BMS DCI and they will be on soon.

Snow tires were picked up yesterday, got some blizzaks.

So far i am very satisfied with the car. great purchase!

#74 ·
Quick update, I picked up my 335i this past monday and i must say, i love it. It is damn fast and i havent been in any other car that gets you to 120 so quick AND makes it seem like youre only going 80.

I did order BMS DCI and they will be on soon.

Snow tires were picked up yesterday, got some blizzaks.

So far i am very satisfied with the car. great purchase!
Congrats, what wheels did you opt for with the Blizzaks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.