BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I'm new and need some help.

2K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  fritzpaul 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted a 228i or a M335i, but a 2 door car is not just practical. Thus, just yesterday I test drove a 328i manual and I loved the way it drove/shifted. So I came home and created my ideal build and then went to TRUEcar to see what they could do for me.

I just tried to attach my ideal build - I'm not sure if I did it correctly. By the way TRUEcar offered me a guaranteed savings certificate of $5140 for a MSRP of $5430. Please let me know if you think this is a good deal or not? THANKS for your time/input!

BMW 328i build sheet

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I wanted a 228i or a M335i, but a 2 door car is not just practical. Thus, just yesterday I test drove a 328i manual and I loved the way it drove/shifted. So I came home and created my ideal build and then went to TRUEcar to see what they could do for me.

I just tried to attach my ideal build - I'm not sure if I did it correctly. By the way TRUEcar offered me a guaranteed savings certificate of $5140 for a MSRP of $5430. Please let me know if you think this is a good deal or not? THANKS for your time/input!
Error? BMW for $5,430?

#4 ·

Maybe $54,300?

#12 ·
You are taking a base car and adding 17k in options. If you buy this car and plan on keeping it a long time I am sure you will enjoy it. If your a person who gets rid of it every 3 years or so go for a lease. If you try to trade or sell this car after three years you will get destroyed, and not get back anywhere near what you should. In this case a lease makes more sense. When you lease with say a 63% residual you are only paying for 37% of the car and all the options you are getting. I have found when trading or selling outright you get very little if anything for those options so they really cost you 100%

#21 · (Edited)
I currently drive a 2011 Audi A4 Prestige and it cost $45,000. So I'm thinking that for $49,000, just $4000 more, I can get a lot more car for my money...is my thinking wrong?
Again, thanks for taking the time to help this BMW novice out!
1) You are driving an Audi, so you've already answered your "is my thinking wrong" question. In case you missed the answer, it's "Yes"
2) "Audi A4 Prestige" - nothing prestigious about an Audi

Run along now.:p

EDIT: Just saw your post about the 4-5 years...maybe consider a lease for 3 years? Also, You should be targeting this number: Invoice + Options - BMW incentives + $500-1000 dealer profit

#11 ·
54k for a 328i sounds like a lot, even if loaded to the max. I just picked up a 335i loaded at that price point. Sorry, I'm not downloading or opening a PDF file posted on an open forum. If you want more specific help, you'll need to post your build without an attachment that can carry viruses.

#13 ·
When I went through the process, most people on this blog were happy when they got about 7% off of list price, and most dealers will do that for you without your going through True Value. At least one of the bloggers put money down on a car that appears not to have been ordered--so be careful with your choice of dealer. When you order, you should get an order number at that time and a way to track your build on BMW USA. The dealers are rationed ordering slots, so yours may not have a slot for months, but may try to sell you a car anyway in the hopes that once he has your down payment he will find a car somewhere. If he is honest and can place the order he will have the number at the time of your down payment.

I am sure that you know the game with your trade in--the dealer gives you an unbelievably good deal on your new car, and it is only later that you realize that you were given an unbelievably bad deal on your trade in. One way to avoid this trap is to focus on the difference between the two cars. The dealers that I have dealt with will give me the price quoted on the Kelly Blue Book site for my new car but always come in lower than the KBB price for the trade in. Their prices for the trade ins have matched those on Galves, which requires a fee for joining, but they have a low rate for a day or so.

Good luck!

#22 · (Edited)
When I went through the process, most people on this blog were happy when they got about 7% off of list price, and most dealers will do that for you without your going through True Value. At least on
Hm. 7% is an interesting number and I think you may be confused. 7% is the discount you get for doing Euro Delivery. It's a fixed discount that reduce the Invoice and MSRP of the BASE portion of the car. Meaning if you do ED, your base model will be cheaper by 7% on invoice and msrp. You will still have to negotiate the range of invoice to msrp (like a normal sale).

Most people on this board are happy to pay Invoice + Options - BMW discounts + (500 to 1000) dealer profit. Often times, with BMW discounts, you end up paying under invoice (even with dealer profit).

Order Number -> You may not get this instantly. Sometimes it takes a few days

Ordering Slots -> If you do Euro Delivery than it does not take the car out of the dealer allocation UNLESS it's an M car (e.g., M3, M5) or it's a brand new car that is still in a limited production run (e.g., when the z first came out, or the special limited edition M3 they had a few years back).

#14 ·
54300 is his build msrp. It seems truecar is showing a 5140 discount for a sales price of 49160.
Thst is almost 10% off msrp which would actually be rather good IMO.

Problem is to find a car close to his build jn stock and would have to place a custom order, which would likely raise the price...

#15 ·
54300 is his build msrp. It seems truecar is showing a 5140 discount for a sales price of 49160.
Thst is almost 10% off msrp which would actually be rather good IMO.

Problem is to find a car close to his build jn stock and would have to place a custom order, which would likely raise the price...
I don't agree that a special order necessarily raises the price. I got one and paid 10+% under MSRP.

#24 ·
I agree, my 335i was about that price. The only major difference is that I skipped nav/tech.

OP, you're taking a 37k car and adding 17 worth of options, or almost 50% of the base price. If you're only keeping the car 4-5 years you should probably lease as you'll take a bath on resale.

#18 ·
I'm really sorry in that I did not know about attachments = possible virus.

Here's my ideal build written out: Estoril Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Trim, Driver Assistance Pkg, Driver Assistance Plus, Lighting Pkg, M Sport, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, M Sport Brakes, Manual Transmission, Heated Front Seats, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound.

MSRP: $54300
Offered Cost: $49,160

I'm new to this forum and I just want to say how appreciate I am of the time that each member who replies takes to really give you honest feedback/insights - thank you for being so helpful!

A little about myself: I'm 65 and nearing retirement. I like a peppy car and do not necessary need all the power of a 6 cylinder. I like the safety features of driver side assist, HUD, lane departure warnings, etc. I will probably keep this car 4-5 years.

So with all this in mind, this this a good deal? a good build?

I steered away from the 228i or M235i (that's the car I really wanted) because I/my friends are getting up there in age and a 2 door coupe just does seem practical at this time in my life.

One last thing, what do you think of the Estoril Blue interior "stuff" (do not know what you really call it) versus the black? Does anyone have that combo? Does it look cool or too cheap?

THANKS again for all of your help.

#20 ·
I'm really sorry in that I did not know about attachments = possible virus.

Here's my ideal build written out: Estoril Blue, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Trim, Driver Assistance Pkg, Driver Assistance Plus, Lighting Pkg, M Sport, Premium Pkg, Technology Pkg, M Sport Brakes, Manual Transmission, Heated Front Seats, Harmon Kardon Surround Sound.

I'm new to this forum and I just want to say how appreciate I am of the time that each member who replies takes to really give you honest feedback/insights - thank you for being so helpful!

A little about myself: I'm 65 and nearing retirement. I like a peppy car and do not necessary need all the power of a 6 cylinder. I like the safety features of driver side assist, HUD, lane departure warnings, etc. I will probably keep this car 4-5 years.

I steered away from the 228i or M235i (that's the car I really wanted) because I/my friends are getting up there in age and a 2 door coupe just does seem practical at this time in my life.

One last thing, what do you think of the Estoril Blue interior "stuff" (do not know what you really call it) versus the black? Does anyone have that combo? Does it look cool or too cheap?

Get what you really want, the M235! Age is just a number, you'll be the coolest guy in your coffee group!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#19 ·
New to this thread and needing help - with no attachments

I'm reposting my thread - this time ignorant of any attachment. I'm really sorry in that I did not know about attachments = possible virus.

I'm new to this forum and I just want to say how appreciate I am of the time that each member who already replied to my initial post took to give their honest feedback/insights - thank you for being so helpful!

#34 ·

Seems high, I bought a 2013 335i for less than $51k, including
- Dynamic Handling
- Dakota Leather
- HK Sound system
- Variable sport steering
- 19" performance wheels/tires
- Navigation
- 8 speed AT

#25 ·
On that particular build, a lease would probably be better suited as it is a unique color, and a manual transmission. That really limits the market for resale. I can offer you an excellent deal on a Performance Center Delivery on that particular vehicle. Contact me and I will be happy to give you some quotes.

#26 ·
I am in your age range, and I too chose a four-door over a two-door, but I was tempted by the two door because the longer doors made it easier for me to get in and out. In other words, why not get the M235? For me the larger car is for our two dogs and for our friends who occasionally ride with us, but if you have a second car for practical matters, why not get the coupe that you want?

#30 ·
Did anyone get this combo or if not could you please share what you think of it:

Exterior: Estoril Blue
Interior: Dakota Black Leather
Trim: Aluminum Hexagon interior trim
Accent: Highlight trim finishes Estoril Blue matte (look cool? look cheap?) Would the Black high gloss be a better choice here?

THANKS!

#31 ·
I don't have the EB exterior but I have the interior combo that you listed.
See attached. I'm ok with it, doesn't look cheap but note that the aluminum gets quite warm during summer temps.
Good luck.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.