BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E36 Tattoos-In Memory of Amber

88K views 299 replies 78 participants last post by  bboyvek 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Preface/intro:

This thread was posted by Amber back in September of 2009. She was a fascinating person and an artist. She was much like an adopted daughter to me, so when she took her own life in August of 2017 the entire E36 community (especially me) here was shocked and saddened. It was decided to sticky her thread (permanently keep it at the top of the forum) as a tribute to her memory. Rest in peace my child. We all miss you.

Ken, E36 forum moderator

After waiting forever on the project that never wants to end, and alluding to it a few times, I'll show you guys my newest "mod". I'm aware the vast majority of you will say sand it off and go back in the traditional E36 box.... But, I'm very proud of it and love the way it turned out. The car isn't finished by any means, but this is pretty much the centerpiece so I'll share it as it is. More components are on their way, and hopefully the weather will cooperate this tiMe and allow it all to be clearcoated in a more timely manner.

A little about the designs. Yes, its Sharpie. Was inspired by the Sharpie Lambo and a fellow BMW owner on here; the difference is in the method I used as well as the artwork itself. It took over 30 hours total to do it, including the wetsanding. After my part was completed, it sat around and waited for my painter to clear coat it, then sat around after that waiting to be put back on the car. Thunderstorms every day that the hood was scheduled to be painted and then again for the install... It's taken about 3 months to get the hood back on the car.

Here's the BMW that inspired me to use my car as a canvas:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356162&highlight=

And the Lambo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vodcars/1981244224/in/set-72157603104900070/

And now for mine!

Pictures of the hood off the car first to see the details and designs better (pre-clear coat):

And on the car:

See less See more
Reactions: iB22
#99 ·
Another part of my tattoos are done... This time my door panels, and embroidered with two of my designs.

And the pretty stitching on the pockets:

Will have more when the rest of the interior is completed.

#101 ·
Thank you! I'm so glad to have them back in the car, I'd gotten so used to having no door panels it was almost strange driving with an armrest available. :lmao: And the second phase of the interior projects should be done end of this week, depending on if the embroiderer is back from vacation. Thats super secret though, so will have to stay tuned to see what it is. :D

#104 ·
You ought to see Ashlyn in person! Pictures really don't capture how good the graphics on the hood look. They're incredible.

I know a *pewpew* secret about Ashlyn, but I'm not talking. :thumbup: :angel:

#112 ·
:) These pew pew secrets won't take that long to do. A hint is I'm waiting on my ZHP shift knob to get here... so maybe a little over a week?

Ahhh I see. And :rofl: He was probably like :embarrasment: lol
Yup more than likely. :lmao:

#114 ·
My ultimate goals? Well you guys know I'm serious about my car shows, so she's not going on the circuit until she's ready to bring home some trophies; and ultimately I'd like her to grab some magazine coverage, but idk maybe it'll happen. Right now I'm just trying to get her where everything is installed, paint is done, wheels on, stance I want done... you get the idea. She's getting there though, now with the interior done she definitely don't feel so incomplete. My fingers are really itchy to finish the tattoos though, just waiting on the weather and my painter still.

#118 ·
Aaaahhhhhhh. Nope, this phase was all about fixing everything that needed fixing and essentially making her a new car. Performance will come later, I'm at a good point for me to enjoy driving her as she is now. No point in having a super fast modded car that is broken down constantly because the basics were neglected.

#122 ·
:eeps: I need to catch up on a few little things when the weather gets warmer.

Amber, you'd better treat us to a real photoshoot soon, I'm seeing some wallpaper potential.

#120 ·
Don't get me wrong, I upgraded what needed replacing, and didn't neglect overall performance. My brakes and suspension are some of my favorite mods to date, and have my TMS chip on the way right now. But I'm waiting on intense performance modding for later on.

#128 ·
Can we say FI?

:eeps: I need to catch up on a few little things when the weather gets warmer.

Amber, you'd better treat us to a real photoshoot soon, I'm seeing some wallpaper potential.
:D I'm just waiting on my wheels to get here to a seriously awesome one. The 16s on the back kind of doom any photoshoot now to failure.

:eeps:

Like complete.... COMPLETE suspension overhaul. consisting of shocks, sways, control arms, tie rods. Ive replaced a few of those, but not all around.

Brake overhaul

Motor is falling apart.... well not really, but I just want a bigger one under the hood :lmao:

Interior is gawd awful

And it needs a new paint job....

But I shall not trash Ambers thread.. sorry.
It's ok, it's kind of relevant anyway. :thumbup:

That's it? :confused:

pew pew fail Amber :rofl:

So what's first?

I need mo money.
You probably wouldn't guess it anyway, cause I've never actually seen it done. No worries though, it won't be anywhere near the wait my door panels and wheels have taken. :bustingup

On a new note, I need a europlate for at shows. I've narrowed it down to two options:

http://www.customeuropeanplates.com/eec-german-license-plate-p-1.html?letters=t%C4tde36

or

http://www.customeuropeanplates.com/eec-german-license-plate-p-1.html?letters=Spidey36

Any opinions or other ideas?

#126 ·
:eeps:

Like complete.... COMPLETE suspension overhaul. consisting of shocks, sways, control arms, tie rods. Ive replaced a few of those, but not all around.

Brake overhaul

Motor is falling apart.... well not really, but I just want a bigger one under the hood :lmao:

Interior is gawd awful

And it needs a new paint job....

But I shall not trash Ambers thread.. sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.