BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M Sport Performance RFT's

4K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  ND40oz 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anyone has the M Sport model with the performance tires vs. the cookie cutter all seasons.

If so, how is tread wear and stopping distance? Road noise and cornering improvements?

#2 · (Edited)
nospam said:
I have my 2013 M Sport now, ordered at the end of November.

I ended up with the All-Season tires option (which supposedly wasn't a choice yet): 18" Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Run Flat (different tire than the Summer Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flat).

The wheels are non-staggered, so 225/45 all around (just like on the F30 M-Sport all-seasons). This likely means I don't have the increased top speed limiter (not a big deal as I should never be driving this baby hauler that fast).

Ride is very comfortable (especially for run-flats), but grip is a lacking a bit compared to the performance summer tires I'm used to.
nospam said:
I was so unsatisfied with the P7 All-Seasons that I headed back to the dealer Monday. They corrected the problem and replaced the wheels and tires with the proper staggered wheels and Summer P7s. Oh, what a difference...night and day!

The confidence in cornering I had when test driving has returned. I've also noticed an improvement in braking (as suspected). Understeer has not been a problem. I don't plan to test the handling limits any more extremely than I have so far, so understeer is no longer a concern of mine.

....In my opinion, it is better to run Summer tires and get a separate set of winter tires if your climate dictates it. The all-seasons are a compromise in every sense of the word.
Motor Trend review - Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Runflats: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1210_2013_bmw_x1_first_test/viewall.html#ixzz2DlJSc3wB
Though the brakes felt solid in normal use, their performance in testing wasn't as impressive. The lighter xDrive28i required 134 feet to come to a stop from 60 mph, while the xDrive35i needed 126 feet. A 3839-pound 2013 Acura RDX we recently tested needed a good deal less room to stop, at 117 feet.
nospam said:
Finally, a track test using the xDrive M Sport (x28i in this case) wearing 18" staggered Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flats. Highlights:

0 to 60: 6.4 sec
1/4 mile: 14.9 sec @ 91 MPH
60 to 0: 120 ft AVG

Reports are that newer M Sports with the summer tire option are being delivered with Pirelli P Zero Neros which should outperform the summer Cinturato P7s.

#5 ·
This was one thing I'm still unsure if I made the right choice... went with the 18" All-seasons for my M-sport. Figured for now it'd keep me from having to deal with getting something for next winter. Plus I'd rather get better summer tires that aren't expensive run flats.

When I try to search for Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat, I can't find it in the 255/40 size for the Rear. They only have the 255/40 for the Summer Performance version of that tire.

Anyone know what All Season tire comes with the 2014 M-sport? They just added the All-Season option for M-sport package wheels. I forgot to ask my dealer. Sending email now.

#6 ·
Details are unclear for now as the 2014 ordering guide implies you get 255/40 on the rear with the all-season option but the 2013 M Sports with all seasons get the 225/45 square setup. I suspect you will get the 225/45 square setup.

It also appears that BMW is moving away from the Pirelli all-seasons to Continentals which are a bit better.

#7 ·
Just looked at the pricing guide for the 2014. It is pretty specific in the 2MY option for the M Sport Line. It gives front and rear wheel and tire sizes and they are different. It is pretty specific and cannot believe someone would miss that big of a error on a pricing sheet. Also, for the Sport Line, the option of 2A2 shows all tires the same size. I would definitely expect the staggered setup on the M Sport.

#9 ·
I believe the lack of paddle shifters was really a dealer order mistake or just that the customer assumed the M Sport would default to paddle shifters. I copied the section from the 2013 X1 M Sport pricing guide below. The 7XA was a no cost option but had to be specified on the order. The pricing guide was correct but the option had to be ordered.

710 M steering wheel
or 7XA M Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters

#10 ·
Customers assumed they were included because the literature said they were included. Period. They were also specified on the order build sheets even if the dealer didn't order them. BMW screwed up and many dealers screwed up. The only people that can't take any blame are the customers, and yet we're the ones that took it up the arse. And yes, this is a very touchy subject with me.

#12 ·
Apolgies

I stand corrected. I very much like the look of the staggered setup and was glad to see in two pricing guides for the 2014 X1 M Sport that the staggered setup with available with either the performance tires or the all season tires, I went with the all season. Today I received an email from BMW stating that the guide was printed in error and they are making corrections. At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed. The car is at the German port awaiting a vessel but it is not what I ordered. I hate to start over but really do not see an alternative.

#13 · (Edited)
I stand corrected. I very much like the look of the staggered setup and was glad to see in two pricing guides for the 2014 X1 M Sport that the staggered setup with available with either the performance tires or the all season tires, I went with the all season. Today I received an email from BMW stating that the guide was printed in error and they are making corrections. At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed. The car is at the German port awaiting a vessel but it is not what I ordered. I hate to start over but really do not see an alternative.
At least you found out before the car was delivered. Imagine showing up at the dealership to find the error, then being told that getting the car you ordered in the first place - the car you paid for and thought you were getting - would cost you an additional $1,000 because a rebate would expire before you could take delivery of the correctly-optioned car. So you take delivery of a car less than what you expected on the promise it will "be made right". Fast forward a few weeks and imagine discovering that other customers in similar situations get cash refunds from BMW ranging from $500 to $1,500, and the best you could manage was three years of concierge service that you'll probably never use. That my friend is why this X1 owner is so bitter.

#17 ·
Bottom line, at least from the email from BMW, the pricing guides were misprinted. The all season option on the M Sport, I think it was called MY option, will be four tires all the same size. What surprises me a little is that the description is in at least two places in the pricing guide. I think that the person putting together the guide just didn't get the whole story or misunderstood what he or she was told. Really wanted the staggered layout even if it meant selecting the performance tires if the all season option was not available at the time of order. The thing that is really nice about the staggered layout is that the rear wheels are 9" wide. I replied to the email and expect to hear back with options whether it be starting over with a new order or if something can be done to swap out the wheels and tires once they arrive at the Performance Center in SC. It is not the dealer's fault at all. I certainly do not want them to be penalized.

#18 ·
hey mickkassem, I ordered the exact same for my M-sport, but I didn't get any email. How does BMW have your contact? Was it the dealer?

I started to become suspicious of the tire setup when I couldn't find the Pirelli all-seasons in a runflat for that Rear size.

Part of me actually wanted the squared setup so it isn't such a hassle and expense to find tires in the bigger size (although bigger rears are always nice... I'm being economical).

When I asked my dealer if I could get one of the other Sportline option 18" wheels, he told me that their technician said they won't fit (which I believe is bull). And they wouldn't entertain the option to swap them out from another car anyways.

#31 ·
Top Speed Limiter

You have the all season tires, same size all around. Can you tell me how the 840 Top Speed Limiter is listed when you input your VIN number. I printed out the sheet from BMWVIN and do not see 840 option listed but I do see it on Vehicle Inquiry order sheet for my car.

#32 ·
You have the all season tires, same size all around. Can you tell me how the 840 Top Speed Limiter is listed when you input your VIN number. I printed out the sheet from BMWVIN and do not see 840 option listed but I do see it on Vehicle Inquiry order sheet for my car.
You should see the following on BMWVin.com:

Code: S840A
Description (interface): HOCHGESCHWINDIGKEITSABSTIMMUNG
Description (EPC): High speed synchronisation

#33 ·
Thanks so much. Found it. You are right it is there. My dealer is working with me to see if we can get staggered all seasons installed when the car arrives. I believe, at least from some of the messages online, that it will be coming with the Pirelli P7 AS tires all around. I called Pirelli and it appears they do not have a 255/40 Pirelli P7 AS available as was noted in one of the treads. The dealer seems to doing all that he can to make it right. So far, everyone associated with BMW has been accommodating. Don't think mixing performance with all season would be the right way to go. They do have the wider wheels in stock so we are only talking about tires.

#34 ·
Glad to hear your dealer is working with you. Keep us posted - I'm curious to see what they come up with.

When I ordered my 2013, I had no idea I was also sacrificing tire size by specifying the all-season option. Incorrect or otherwise, there was virtually no documentation on the option; I had no reason to believe I would be getting anything other than a staggered setup. My dealer did absolutely nothing to correct the situation.

#36 ·
They are replacing the all seasons with staggered performance tires at the port.Had to put wider wheels on the back also. Hope it doesn't delay delivery too long. Sounds like the BMW guys at their port facilities can do a lot and will save it being done at the performance center or the dealer.

#40 ·
My impression it will be the fix for you also. Our dealer left it up to customer service. I told them that there were several of us in the same boat with the non staggered tires. Tell your dealer that the customer service group is located in the DC area in case there is more than one. Just beware you will get the performance tires which actually cost more but will not wear as well. I just hope there will be the larger all season rear tire size down the road. Personally love the look of the larger rear tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.