BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Akebono Euro review

23K views 103 replies 28 participants last post by  540 M-Sport 
#1 ·
So it's almost 1 month I mounted the Akebono pads together with Zimmermann cross-drilled rotors.
Impressions:
If the bite of the OEM Jurid on a scale from 1 to 10 is 10, then the Akebono Euro are probably 8.
On a scale from 1 to 10 concerning dust brake, Jurid are probably 4 or 5.
Akebono 9 or 10.
For the last 2 weeks we had only rain. And usually, the OEM combined with wetness will deposit not only the filthy black dust, but also a nast film like a slime (also black).
Well, surprise-surprise. My wheels were almost clean after this said month.
I washed the car & wheels today, so the observation I made, was that actually I had a whiteish powder on the wheels. This was noted only when I hosed off the wheels - that's when I noted they were a bit dull on the not wetted part. The white dust washes off sooooo easy!!! I was impressed. I can remember all the elbow grease every 2 weeks or so, and did I mention elbow grease?
It's a snap now. Sure, the initial bite is less than the Jurid (remember i believe it's 8), but once the brakes are warmed up, they feel almost like the OEM.
Now I will see how they will hold up. I know the Jurids didn't have a long life.
Now, here are some pics of the wheels after a spirited drive with lots of aggressive braking:

Front:

Rear:

My car - I tinted the windows and a slight tint on the headlights:

See less See more
#2 ·
Good succinct review. Thank you!

Are the Akebonos quiet? Do you find it easy to compensate for the reduced bite by increasing the pressure?

#4 ·
They are quiet, no problems. initial bite is a bit less than the OEM, so you would compensate by increasing the pedal pressue. Once the pads warm up, they feel almost like the OEM's. Easy to modulate. The loss of brake dust is stunning. usually I would start to see the black stuff in 2-3 days after a wash. If it rains, sometimes you would see it the same day. Not so with these.

#3 ·
I've been running the Akebono's now for about a month and I really didn't know what to think about them. I did notice the bite wasn't quite the same as the OEM pads but I have now gotten use to it and the stop just as well if not better. No dust to speak of on the wheels.

#5 ·
Cool, nice review. I have the Axxis Deluxe pads and those bad boys are noisy. But I drive like grandma, slow and steady, so I know that contributes to the noise. I've been thinking of trying these next. Let us know if they develop any noise or problems. Thanks again.

#32 ·
I have the Axxis Deluxe pads and those bad boys are noisy.
Interesting noise observation.

As per recommendations, I originally put on Jurid/Textar pads & Brembo rotors, then a month or so ago I put PBR Deluxe Advanced pads on the front (I used PBR because Axxis, I am told, is no longer is sold in the USA), and my next set will be the Akebono EUR### Ultra-Premium Ceramic pads.

As for noise, my PBR Deluxe Advanced pads (I'm told the PBR pads are the same as the Axxis Deluxe Advanced) have no noise to speak of. And, I also drive like a little old lady.

Interesting how we differ in noise experience given we have the same friction material.

#6 ·
I put Axxis Deluxe pads on about 6 months ago. Virtually no dust, only a slightly less braking power and quiet until they get wet. I can't complain, I hated the black film within 2 days from the OEM pads.

#7 ·
I put Axxis Deluxe pads on about 6 months ago. Virtually no dust, only a slightly less braking power and quiet until they get wet. I can't complain, I hated the black film within 2 days from the OEM pads.
As I mentioned, I drove through steady rain for the last 2 weeks and there was no noise and absolutely no reduction in braking power compared to dry conditions. - the Ake's Euro's. Again rain in the forecast.. :mad:

#12 ·
Akebono rep told me no bedding needed. I replaced my OEM pads 1.5 years ago. The OEM pads were like new at the time. Less than 10K miles. I could not take the brake dust anymore. Akebono Euro will be used again when these are shot. 40K miles later though, less than 1/2 worn.

#13 ·
i put my akebonos on about 3 weeks ago. i also had the jurid pads b4 the akebonos and brake dust was such a difference. i remember how much time i spent cleaning my rims every week. now its been about 3 and theres nothing there. But instead of the zimmeran cross drilled i just got the balo rotors

#15 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Akebono's are definitely top notch. They are, by far, the top selling pad. I bet over 90% of customers ask for them.

Personally, I still like to bed them. I like to get my pad seated to their rotors. A lot of manufacturers state their pads don't need bedded, but it usually seems to help establish a good wear pattern.

#78 ·
A lot of manufacturers state their pads don't need bedding
Hi Jared,
The "science" of bedding, as I understand it (which may be the problem), actually "requires" bedding at the friction temperature of the pads so that a layer or three of pad material will evenly deposit itself for adherent friction onto the rotors.

If a manufacturer says the pads don't need bedding, how do they propose that layer of friction material is deposited?

Presumably the answer is "normal driving" but the heat of normal driving is not the same as 10 sequential 60-to-10mph stops ... so ... um ... do they "explain" how 'normal driving' achieves the necessary heat?

BB

#22 ·
Late to the thread but I am curious what Part # you are all running for your Akebonos? Looking at ECS tuning site and there are dozens of different options all for the 540i

#24 ·
Great thread! Ceramics are just awesome awesome! I could not get the stock $hitty, black dusty pads off my car fast enough when I bought it. Great info Doru and those reps are lookin' good!! :thumbup: Mark I'll be coming to you soon for some new pads. At 60k+ on my posi-quiets I'm sure I'll be due.

#28 ·
Disturbing news

So yesterday morning it was quite on the cool side. 7°C or for you US folks, about 44° F. It was morning, and not too much traffic (sighs with relief). The car is garaged every day, so the temperature is much higher than that outside. That being said, there was no braking issue. So here I go, cruising between 50-70 Km/hr (30-43 mph), speed limits permitting. Because there wasn't much traffic, I believe them pads cooled down really good. Point is, the speedo went up, so I said, lets slow down a bit and hit the brakes. Well, surprise: do you guys remeber the cars that had no ABS? Now imagine you are in one of those cars and now you drive on ice. Suddenly you brake. What is the feeling? I tell you: nothing . You're just gliding. That's exactly how the Akes reacted. I was lucky there was no traffic, or I didn't need to do an emergency brake. It was like if someone poured oil on them brakes. Eventually they warmed up and started to bite again.

Well, winter is coming and we have waaaay colder days than that. This being said, the FINAL WORD on the Akebono (if you live in a cold climate zone) - they're utterly junk. They are probably OK if you live somwhere where you don't have winter, or maybe if you plug the brake ducts? I certainly love the dustless braking, but suddenly I just fell in love with the black sh*t

Anyways, after I got home, I ordered some Jurids.

#29 ·
So yesterday morning it was quite on the cool side. 7°C or for you US folks, about 44° F. It was morning, and not too much traffic (sighs with relief). The car is garaged every day, so the temperature is much higher than that outside. That being said, there was no braking issue. So here I go, cruising between 50-70 Km/hr (30-43 mph), speed limits permitting. Because there wasn't much traffic, I believe them pads cooled down really good. Point is, the speedo went up, so I said, lets slow down a bit and hit the brakes. Well, surprise: do you guys remeber the cars that had no ABS? Now imagine you are in one of those cars and now you drive on ice. Suddenly you brake. What is the feeling? I tell you: nothing . You're just gliding. That's exactly how the Akes reacted. I was lucky there was no traffic, or I didn't need to do an emergency brake. It was like if someone poured oil on them brakes. Eventually they warmed up and started to bite again.

Well, winter is coming and we have waaaay colder days than that. This being said, the FINAL WORD on the Akebono (if you live in a cold climate zone) - they're utterly junk. They are probably OK if you live somwhere where you don't have winter, or maybe if you plug the brake ducts? I certainly love the dustless braking, but suddenly I just fell in love with the black sh*t

Anyways, after I got home, I ordered some Jurids.
Thanks for the confession. Took some courage, perhaps. I'm shocked, they're junk? What about warming up the pads right after you start driving? 44F is not very cold....

#30 ·
Graham, I was lucky because there was no traffic. I just wanted to slow down a tad, and hitting the brakes without any reaction is very disturbing. Probably in heavy traffic, one has the foot on the brakes every now and then so they stay warm. Yesterday morning was the 1st time ever I drove quite a stretch without needing the brakes. Imagine it's colder, you're on the Hwy, and you need to stop. What's next?
It's true, the last time I washd the rims was in May, and my rims still look good. It's true the pads worked great the whole summer, no complaints, just a slight lesser bite compared to OEM. But what I experienced yesterday morning was a wakeup call. What if the light would have turned red and I had stop, and there was traffic going through? And if also had my kids in the back seat?
I made up my mind. Jurids.

#31 ·
I went from jurids to comparable to akebonos pad (axiss deluxe) all around for 2 yrs, and then this summer swapped the front for jurids. Ceramic pads are far from junk and I've autocrossed on them plenty, when they're warm they bite harder than jurids (they're hard on ur rotors too btw). So with that said, they're good pads, you just need to change your driving style (like pump the brake once, and on second pump they frigging bite. As for emergency situation, just slam on brakes and you'll hang on your seatbelt... literally 2 secs later.

As with anything it's a compromise, but don't badmouth it because it's far from junk :)

#33 · (Edited)
I went from jurids to comparable to akebonos pad (axiss deluxe) all around for 2 yrs, and then this summer swapped the front for jurids. Ceramic pads are far from junk and I've autocrossed on them plenty, when they're warm they bite harder than jurids (they're hard on ur rotors too btw). So with that said, they're good pads, you just need to change your driving style (like pump the brake once, and on second pump they frigging bite. As for emergency situation, just slam on brakes and you'll hang on your seatbelt... literally 2 secs later.

As with anything it's a compromise, but don't badmouth it because it's far from junk :)
That's hard to say...
How many regular standard drivers will actually warm up the brakes before stopping...?
Is it really worth it for a daily driver...???
Especially if the driver has kids in the back seat...?
I know, because I have kids, and would I like it not being able to stop while they are in the back seat...?
Um, no.
Is it worth risking...?
Um, no.

#34 · (Edited)
I've locked up my brakes with axiss pads at speeds well over the limit - all just slamming on the brakes on the highway, which proves the point the pads are GOOD for what they are (low dusting quiet pad) read description befoe buying :)

if u cant lockup the ceramic brakes with one pump, hit the gym and do some squats :D

It's like saying 525 is less performance oriented than m5 so therefore it's junk. Bad logic

P.S. I've yet to see someone get in an accident bc of axiss or akebono pads so the risk level is no more than walking outside

#35 ·
I've locked up my brakes with axiss pads at speeds well over the limit - all just slamming on the brakes on the highway, which proves the point the pads are GOOD for what they are (low dusting quiet pad) read description befoe buying :)

if u cant lockup the ceramic brakes with one pump, hit the gym and do some squats :D

It's like saying 525 is less performance oriented than m5 so therefore it's junk. Bad logic

P.S. I've yet to see someone get in an accident bc of axiss or akebono pads so the risk level is no more than walking outside
This doesn't make sense to me.
It's like saying, here, I can stop flintstone style with stone blocks as pads - just as long as I can panic stop - it doesn't matter...
Why bother looking at any type or brand of pad in the first place?
Just as long as you can panic stop, you can have any junk pad, it doesn't matter...?

#36 · (Edited)
panic stop is what was blown out of proportion in the first place :confused:

"what if I had kids? what if there were pedestrians? blah blah blah..." SLAM ON THE BRAKES! Does it stop? GOOD! Still feel @ risk? Yes?? Whoa, you must've been driving a Bugatti all of your life :dunno: Oh boy, welcome to our (e39) world...

I hate to be beating a dead horse, but other folks that read this thread need to understand that ITS A CERAMIC PAD and it needs SOME HEAT to bite. In return you get a QUIET LOW DUSTING PAD that WILL impress even your auto-X instructor if need be. The downside is that they're VERY HARSH on your rotors (1 set of pads = 1 set of rotors), but they DO last longer than oem compound pad so there's a little give there.

and before we all go blaming the pads, check the rest of your braking system first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.