BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

6WA retrofit KOMBI

668K views 2K replies 202 participants last post by  TheNine90 
#1 ·
Hello I'm going to buy a extended information cluster for a good price. 6WA option

The seller told me that the mileage is not stored in the kombi, and he tell me that this data is taken from the car.

This KOMBI has 13k Kilometers and mine has 38k.

Could I retrofit it without the help of the dealer? Only with my enet cable.

Where is the immobility device? Inside cluster like VAG's?

Shawn any advice?

My car has actuality the daten 47,5 and I have in the HUD the multimedia and telephone information.
Could I upgrade this KOMBI once installed to enable this features?
Any time I will go to the dealer I will need to instal my old Kombi and after change again?

Thanks in advance to all for the help.

Regards.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
#6 · (Edited)
Hello I'm going to buy a extended information cluster for a good price. 6WA option

The seller told me that the mileage is not stored in the kombi, and he tell me that this data is taken from the car.

This KOMBI has 13k Kilometers and mine has 38k.

Could I retrofit it without the help of the dealer? Only with my enet cable.

Where is the immobility device? Inside cluster like VAG's?

Shawn any advice?

My car has actuality the daten 47,5 and I have in the HUD the multimedia and telephone information.
Could I upgrade this KOMBI once installed to enable this features?
Any time I will go to the dealer I will need to instal my old Kombi and after change again?

Thanks in advance to all for the help.

Regards.
Yes, my advice is that if you can get a 6WA Instrument Cluster cheap, do it. If you have to pay full price, go with 6WB.

Based on what I know about BimmerTech's 6WB Retrofit, which I am pretty sure the same also applies to going from the Basic Instrument Cluster to 6WA:

* It would need some coding (Presumably 6WA in VO, and VO Code KOMBI and HU_CIC - If Pre 03/2011 build, the Production Date would need to be changed) - E-Sys and ENET Cable is all that is needed.
* If you car currently does not have Eco PRO or Sport Modes, those displays will not appear
* The mileage will be identical to the your original unit
* You can swap units and the units will always show the correct mileage
* You need to swap the units before you go to your dealer for a service that requires a software update
* It is a 5 min job to change Instrument Clusters

As for the Entertainment List, Incoming and Outgoing Calls, Recent Call List, and Voice Recognition, if you have 6WA KOMBI with 47.x or higher firmware on it, you should get those features in your HUD after coding them.

NOTE: This assumes a Brand New never used KOMBI. A used KOMBI will have original car's VIN programmed in it, and I do not know how to change it, so this will be a problem and the mileage will not update.

#13 ·
Shawn i just email you.

Fitted, correct mileage, but can´t code... error in E-sys.

Thanks
Yes, I replied.

Yes, you can't code it because it does not recognize the VIN. That is why it is showing yyyyyyy as the VIN.

The EEPROM needs your VIN written to it.

#16 ·
So what happens when you try this:

Connect => Read FA => Activate FA => Read VCM => Left-Click on KOMBI => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD matching your I-Level => Select OK => Right-Click on KOMBI (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

To determine your I-Level, go to VCM Module => VCM Master Tab => click Read under I-Steps. The I-Step (current) is the one you want to match when you select the CAFD from the "Detect CAF for SWE" options (e.g. F001-08-09-550).

#23 ·
Shawn the speedometer is from a F01?

is possible that i only have the cafd for f10?

Regards
If you do what I suggested, it will be the right CAFD for that KOMBI Hardware.

I am afraid though hamfei, who is an expert at this, is correct, and the EEPROM will need programming.

#21 ·
It's impossible to reprogram a KOMBI which was used on other cars without cracking works. This is because the EEPROM stores VIN of the car. If the VIN does not match the information stored in CAS, you will see a white dot on the meter. Also, the device would not be working properly.

I've found the way to reprogram a used KOMBI. See
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?5401-Changing-VIN-KOMBI-080D0WQ-M35080-E8x-E9x
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?5398-6WA-retrofit-KOMBI-BMW-F10/page2

#22 ·
He suspects the seller erased the EEPROM.

On new KOMBI's, with a virgin EEPROM, supposedly it will automatically sync with CAS.

So, will a Used KOMBI do the same if it has been erased, or must the KM and VIN be changed?

#24 ·
This won't help solving the actual problem, but maybe for later:
In KOMBI/300A/FAHRGESTELL_NR_RDA, the short VIN is stored and may be altered. The comment says "Here to write the VIN that will be used to do the comparings with CAS. This VIN has nothing to do with the VIN that's written while flashing."

#33 ·
The R270 comes with the software to correct KM, and a HEX Editor to blank out the VIN, or you can use your own HEX editor.

The EEPROM program will be the one for M35160 EEPROM.

#37 · (Edited)
Ok. Well you definitely have to reprgram the EEPROM. At least you do not have to desolder it, and the R270 is cheap. I saw a couple last night and they were around $80 USD, and the SOP 8 test clip I think is only around $10.

#38 ·
Not without a matching VIN they can't. When they tried to program my car with "magic VIN" in my Combox, ISTA/P refused to recognize that my car had a Combox, even though it was installed, coded, and working properly.

#39 ·
What I don't understand is Bimmerretrofit saying that if 6WB is retroffited, the original cluster has to be reinstalled whenever a software update has to be made. Bimmerretrofit only supplies brand new 6WB's, so the correct VIN will be written during the first coding. Why then swap the original unit back on when upgrading?

#40 · (Edited)
If 6WB is not a valid Option Code for your vehicle based on it's production date, ISTA/P will not recognize it. So, in order to have your car dealer programmed, you have to return the original one.

So, in the case of new 6WB, it is not a VIN issue, rather it is an Option Code issue.

#46 ·
I just swap with old cluster and all woks fine.

But now I have a slightly problem.
I can see in head up vision three dots like defective pixels in orange.

They are perfect alienated at the right of the screen, tomorrow I will try to recode it.

Any idea?
I have no idea. Can you post a picture of the dots?

#49 ·
Yes, for new virgin KOMBI, you should just need to write VIN / Code it.

For Fxx chassis though, I do not know if KOMBI_87.prg will work to write the VIN, or if any of the other numerous KOMBIxx.prg's will work either. I don't even have KOMBI_87.prg in my EDIABAS install.

It is possible though that just coding KOMBI with E-Sys will also write the VIN to it at the same time.