Votes: 74 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 66 47.1%

DRL Poll

3K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  bechego 
#1 ·
Do you use Daytime Running Lights?

#27 ·
I sure hope yall not running your drls use the headlights in bad weather or when it's cloudy out. I almost cut off a bimmer last week during our week of down-pours due to not having the headlights on. Not only is it safe for others it's safe for you.

#28 ·
Had 'em turned off on my E46; they look geeky and I'm not convinced the 1999 Chevrolet Malibu next to me is going to get seen earlier than me.

But YMMV.

I thought the insurance remark was interesting, no discount eh? Seems they would have some NSA-level of actuarial data on safety; I would conclude on a $$$ basis that they've decided they don't help.

#29 ·
SmellyGas said:
Next time you go out driving, look in your rearview, especially in the late afternoon -- which cars tend to stand out more, and which ones blend in with the background? You might surprise yourself to realize that it's the cars with DRL's that are easy to see.

SmellyGas
No, its the hopped-up Civic weaving in traffic behind me that attracts my attention. :rofl:

The oversized SUVs and GM-product cars are pretty much as visible as anything else on the road, sorry.

And yes, I was trained to turn on my lights (FRONT AND BACK) in poor visibility.

WARNING: ATTEMPTED THREAD HIJACK IN PROGRESS

So, unrelated (sort of) why don't we have freaking rear fog-lights on these cars?

END OF ATTEMPTED THREAD HIJACK

#31 ·
SmellyGas said:
...DRL's are meant for daytime use under conditions where you wouldn't ordinarly need headlights...SmellyGas
Yeah, like in bright sun light. :rofl: :thumbdwn:

#32 ·
SmellyGas said:
Agreed. www.lightout.org basically argues against the abundance of evidence supporting the safety benefit of DRL's...
SmellyGas
Yeah, and so do half the people here. :rofl: :thumbup:

#33 ·
wingspan said:
No, its the hopped-up Civic weaving in traffic behind me that attracts my attention. :rofl:

The oversized SUVs and GM-product cars are pretty much as visible as anything else on the road, sorry.
All else being equal, I would argue that the hopped-up Civic or oversized SUV's WITH DRL's turned on would be more visible than the same vehicle with DRL's turned off. We're trained to identify objects that have contrast with respect to their environments, and DRL's add additional contrast.

SmellyGas

#34 ·
I use them because my car is the basic color of asphalt and the coffee drinking, cell phone chatting, yelling at kids in the back seat SUV drivers around here need all the help they can get.

#37 ·
I don't use them. Being a control freak, I am happier deciding myself when to turn on my lights. And the xenons look better than the halogens.
Speaking of GM and DRL's, if there are any GM drivers reading this, PLEASE replace your burned out bulbs. You all look like complete idiots driving around with one light on and one burned out.

#38 ·
I have not seen the 330 with the lights on yet...Do they have the "angel eyes" that you find on the 5-series? Does anyone have any fotos of the DRLs on on the 330? I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

#41 ·
MysticBlue said:
I don't use them. Being a control freak, I am happier deciding myself when to turn on my lights. And the xenons look better than the halogens.
Speaking of GM and DRL's, if there are any GM drivers reading this, PLEASE replace your burned out bulbs. You all look like complete idiots driving around with one light on and one burned out.
I agree. My dad had them turned on and I insisted on turning them off at the next service visit. Looks too much like a GM or Toyota. I hate it when people rely on DRLs when it's too dark outside because it provides some people with a false sense of security since they think "oh my lights are on so its enough". I almost ran into some Toyota SUV a month or so ago at dusk because I barely saw anything but tiny DRLs on at 10pm at night.

#42 ·
Does anyone here know if it will be possible for me to turn on the fog lights on their own (without having the headlights on)? Is this a setting the dealer can re-program?
Thanks.

#43 ·
bechego said:
Does anyone here know if it will be possible for me to turn on the fog lights on their own (without having the headlights on)? Is this a setting the dealer can re-program?
Thanks.
Closest you can do is parking lamps/halos + foglights. Turn the switch to the parking light setting, and hit the foglight button.

#44 ·
headlights or parking lights?

AzNMpower32 said:
Closest you can do is parking lamps/halos + foglights. Turn the switch to the parking light setting, and hit the foglight button.
AzNMpower32:

As far as you can tell, is that what this guy here has done or has this guy turn the headlights on and just not the Xenons?

Thanks!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147112

#45 ·
#46 ·
AzNMpower32 said:
That's what I mentioned above: parking lights + foglights, and he has the DRLs activated. No headlights.
Cool. That clears it up.
Thanks a lot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.