BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Valve stem seals done for $2500!

226K views 692 replies 276 participants last post by  BabyUnicornTaco 
#1 · (Edited)
For those who don't know me.... I'm a BMW master tech located in Long Island, NY who has helped out many forum members here in the past (just do a search and you'll find me). I've been seeing many posts about the common valve stem seal issue with the N62 and N62TU engine. Symptoms include excessive oil consumption and severe smoking from the tail pipe. I'm offering to complete the repair for $2500 total (parts and labor). This includes both bank valve cover gasket sets and the updated valve stem seals of course. I would need 2 full days to complete the repair, I'm available on weekends (I work at the dealer during the week). Most dealers charge anywhere from $8,000 to $12,000 to have this done, so here's your chance to save a ton of cash! I've had someone drive over 12 hrs to meet me and to have the repair done, it was well worth it for that customer. You guys can post here or PM me. I'm also a forum regional sponsor, so my contact info is located in the section of the forum. Thanks!

#144 ·
For those who don't know me.... I'm a BMW master tech located in Long Island, NY who has helped out many forum members here in the past (just do a search and you'll find me). I've been seeing many posts about the common valve stem seal issue with the N62 and N62TU engine. Symptoms include excessive oil consumption and severe smoking from the tail pipe. I'm offering to complete the repair for $2500 total (parts and labor). This includes new valve cover gaskets, new upper timing case cover gaskets and valve stem seals of course. I would need 2 full days to complete the repair, I'm available on weekends (I work at the dealer during the week). Most dealers charge anywhere from $8,000 to $12,000 to have this done, so here's your chance to save a ton of cash! I've had someone drive over 12 hrs to meet me and to have the repair done, it was well worth it for that customer. You guys can post here or PM me. I'm also a forum regional sponsor, so my contact info is located in the section of the forum. Thanks!
Can you come to Brooklyn?

#146 ·
Tomorrow I'm gonna take my car to the shop . They will do basic diagnostic on engine , that way I know what I need to get fixed . In the morning when I turn engine ON blue smoke comes out from exhaust pipe and it last for few seconds so most likely it's oil leaking . I just wanna make sure 100% .

#147 · (Edited)
Think I am finally starting to understand this problem a little more clearly.

You can see in the provided pics that the seals have been wallowed out & when multiplied by 32 can allow plenty of oil to bypass upwards into the intake.

I gather that the Valve guides are on the piston side of this equation and machine recessed into the cylinder head itself , & non-accessible without removing the cylinder heads & being drilled or punched out.

Finally on the street the going rate for cylinder head removal, heads rebuilt & refreshed is $5K & north and if you are lucky enough to live close to a shop or Tech willing & clever enough to address your main issue and replace just the seals on the top side of the cylinder heads
you can hopefully save some serious cash and continue on down the road.

Good pic of seals & guides:

http://www.achillesmotorsports.com/category-s/1943.htm

#148 · (Edited)
bmwoem1 offers a great price on a tedious & time consuming service of a known problem with the N-62.

There is also the known issue of Carbon buildup in the Secondary Air Pump pipe.

These are 2 seperate problems. Look at the pics of the valve seals side by side with new & the issue is clear.

My problem is that I am never going to be anywhere close to NJ so for me the search goes on to find someone in my region to perform this service in my area.

Towards this end I had a nice email exchange with Christen of All German Auto. He has done Cylinder head on valve seal replacement with some success & is aware of the need. They have plans to mfgr. & sell some parts to help in this process but it will take time. It will still be a tedious technical & time consuming service & very much in line with the pricing our East Coast friend suggest.

Here is a link to a kit AGA has available for the issue HerbP keeps mentioning.

https://www.agacoolantpipe.com/product/n62-secondary-air-cleaner

#149 ·
A. B. Able Truck,
Your contribution is not lost on me & I presume others as well.

If your method fixes the problem for enthusiast here then we should count our blessings & our saved dollars. That is clearly what makes sense to attempt first.

Sooner or later however an N62 requires Valve Seals.

#153 · (Edited)
A. B. Able Truck,
Your contribution is not lost on me & I presume others as well.
If your method fixes the problem for enthusiast here then we should count our blessings & our saved dollars. That is clearly what makes sense to attempt first.
Sooner or later however an N62 requires Valve Seals.
The fact that valve stem seals are being diagnosed as defective without consideration for the BMW documented cause for oil comsumption or the obvious signs that it is being sucked thru the cranckcase vent system is disturbing. Yes, eventually every engine reguardless of make or model will need valve stem seals. This is an illustration of the matural deformity a valve stem seal encounters when stretched over a valve stem.
Text Net Font

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10119

Yes, after thousands of miles while exposed to high temperatures a used seal will tend to keep the expanded shape encountered while stretched over the stem as photographed on the previous post. I'll bet if you were to measure the valve stem and the used seal in the photo - the seal inside diameter would be smaller then the stem.

#151 ·
In my opinion "All German Auto" are over kill on their parts.. I think any fabricator can sell it half price less.. Aside that stuff, BIG THANKS TO "bmwoem1" FOR SHARING THIS THREAD..

#152 ·
Couple quick points Carrazco650i,

I am more impressed with the fact that AGA identified the Valley Pipe leak issue & made the first work around product than I am that somebody who was not involved in the development can produce a cheaper knock off.

In the case of their secondary air cleaning kit, all the parts are broken out for purchase separately. If your a gun owner, your cleaning kit may already have a bunch of the brushes, etc.

#154 ·
No point in arguing with him. I agree hearing about valve stem seals failing in this day and age is unheard off... But these engines run way hotter then any other engine.... Which = cooked seals... I think I just put him in the iggy list :)

When he ends up having his changed out we can feel bad for him too...

(I had 2 independent master bmw techs diagnose the same issue, valve seals, without bringing it up... So it is a well know problem across the N62 platform...)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#156 ·
I agree hearing about valve stem seals failing in this day and age is unheard off... But these engines run way hotter then any other engine.... Which = cooked seals...
As far back as I can remember - you had the option of thermostats that opened somewhere between 170 > 195 degrees. Most clean systems ran 190 to 195 because of the circulation (cooling) time in the radiator. If you had a older (dirty) cooling system, we would drop to a 170 > 175 degree. Some would pull the thermostat out - but then you ran the risk that the coolant didn't spend enough time in the radiator to transfer heat. Then came emission systems and output readings were affected by engine temperature. Many gauge systems may read 210 but it's normally due to the sensors proximity to the exhaust port. My N62TU has 2 cooling systems - a hot and a cold - yes this was new to me. These engines may run a little hotter - but our coolants, oils and rubber compounds are much better today. Remember they also use plastic valve covers and intake manifolds today.

#155 ·
Yes all engines will need valve seals at some point.Just strange the behavior of these n62 smoking after idle.Most cars only do it on start up when valve seals are worn.This problem must be magnified on this valve train design.If I'm not mistaken it is the first of its kind.I had a 1973 Pontiac 455 that had no valve seals left AT ALL when I rebuilt and it didnt smoke like this after idle take off.

#162 ·
$2,500 seems like a bargain for valve stem seals on a 4 cam engine. Just looking at the photos of the 7 he posted made me lightheaded, and I've done this repair on a few Hondas in my 20's.

You need to take deposits from customers and go on a small world-tour. Depending on overhead, a unique and in-demand skill like this would make for a profitable and memorable journey. It's more doable than you'd think.

#178 ·
$2,500 seems like a bargain for valve stem seals on a 4 cam engine. Just looking at the photos of the 7 he posted made me lightheaded, and I've done this repair on a few Hondas in my 20's.

You need to take deposits from customers and go on a small world-tour. Depending on overhead, a unique and in-demand skill like this would make for a profitable and memorable journey. It's more doable than you'd think.
What a great idea... bmwoem- come on down to Nashville ! :)

#163 ·
BMWOEM1 did a great job on my '06 x5 this past weekend. He replaced the valve stem seals among other gaskets and seals.

He was honest, professional, and transparent.

The smoke is gone. Car doesn't feel more powerful or anything, but it is getting improved MPG.

I did a 160 mile highway run (to/from work) before the job and averaged 16.4 MPG. After the job on the same drive I averaged 19.2.

Great job by BMWOEM1. I highly recommend.

#165 ·
BMWOEM1 did a great job on my '06 x5 this past weekend. He replaced the valve stem seals among other gaskets and seals.
That's Great - Sounds like a good deal as long as it wasn't the "other gaskets and seals" replaced that were causing your initial smoke problem. It would be interesting if you kept us updated on your oil consumption.

#166 ·
The other gaskets and seals were fine, but given the fact they needed to be removed to perform the repair it was wise to replace them - as well as the spark plugs.

BMWOEM1 showed me the old valve stem seals...and they were visually finished - even to my untrained eye.

#167 ·
The other gaskets and seals were fine, but given the fact they needed to be removed to perform the repair it was wise to replace them - as well as the spark plugs.

BMWOEM1 showed me the old valve stem seals...and they were visually finished - even to my untrained eye.
Please keep us informed on oil consumption

#169 ·
How long does the valve seal job last? Do the new seals last for the remaining life of the engine like other vehicles? What about the other associated gaskets, vanos seals, etc? After a valve seal job at ~80-100k miles, should we expect another round of upper engine seal/gasket replacement at 150k miles (the work that A B Able Truck recommends)?

I am wondering whether the valve seal replacement work (and all other associated gaskets, etc) improves the reliability/maintenance of the N62 engine to a level of low worry (aside from the usual cooling system woes). And if so, for how long? I know "low worry" is a relative term, but hopefully you get the point of the question.

Maybe long enough until the transmission fails?

Thanks

#170 · (Edited)
#175 ·
I don't see any reason why the news seals shouldn't last another 100k miles. It's hard to say for sure because most of the cars I have done this repair on, already have 100k+ miles on them. The new seals in these heads will probably outlast the engine/ transmission.