BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X3 performance exhaust

21K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  jdauria 
#1 ·
Did a quick search and didn't find anything for aftermarket exhaust. I have an 07 and would like to see if there are any exhaust mods available for this car. i would love to let it breath and hear it grunt when I step on it.

Also, anyone use the K&N Filter? Did you notice a difference is performance, sound, gas milage, etc.?
:dunno:

#8 ·
I had SuperSprint on my 2.8 Z3 and LOVED the sound. That plus Dinan cold air intake, performance chip, Eibach springs, anti-roll kit, etc. Great punch and acceleration!

#17 ·
Thanks! I may have to scoop one up now.
Good luck sneaking it onto the 530 without her noticing... However tread softly, women can be crafty, ruthless, and unforgiving... That's why I love 'em!:D
It sounds nice, but did it actually make a difference in response time?

#20 ·
It sounds nice, but did it actually make a difference in response time?
My Z3 experience was the exhaust did not add a whole lot to the engine's power. The sound difference was incredible.

The main power benefits I found were the Dinan software upgrades which increased redline cutoff and altered the fuel curve. This, coupled with the cold air intake for more air flow, gave quite a boost to my Z3.

As far as the 2007 and up X3's, I suspect BMW has extracted most of the power already. It is probably not worth it to invest too much into perfromance upgrades for the X3. I think you would spend a lot for a very little gain. The only exception would be supercharging. This could give you up to a 60 hp boost for the $5k range.

#6 · (Edited)
Here is something that may help the folks looking for extra power and the bad tranny shifting:

From bav auto parts

Got throttle lag? Put the punch back in your pedal and accelerate with confidence. The Sprint Booster power converter is an easy-to-install, electronic device that eliminates the delay in acceleration common in cars with Electronic Throttle Control (ETC, a.k.a. "drive by wire"). You get crisp acceleration on tap, whenever you want it, dramatically improving acceleration response time and your overall driving experience. (In other words, "Yee-haw!!!") It doesn't increase your car's horsepower -- it just make the car more responsive to your commands. You'll notice better off-the-line acceleration, faster 1/4-mile times, greater quickness when passing and easier on-hill starts. The Sprint Booster plugs in between the accelerator pedal and the ECM (Engine Control Module) where it continuously measures the digital signal being sent by the accelerator, modifies the signal and sends it on to the ETC, which tells the engine to respond more quickly. We tested it here at Bavarian Autosport and loved it! The installation took less than 10 minutes, and no modifications or changes in fuel are required. The first time we depressed the pedal, an instant smile appeared on our face... and didn't leave until an hour after we had climbed out of the car. Please note: There are different Sprint Boosters for manual and automatic transmissions -- make sure you are ordering the correct version for your car. One of the most noticeable performance upgrades you can do. Backed by a lifetime warranty.

It is supposed to reduce lag in drive by wire accelration.

Curious if anyone has used or has insight knowledge with this.

#7 ·
#9 ·
throttle response

I was unhappy with the throttle response on my automatic '06, so I had the Dinan stage 1 software installed, which does reduce the lag quite a bit. It also changed the shift points when in manual mode, which I never liked in the first place. I have been very happy so far, and wasn't put off by the $300 price tag. I also put a high flow air filter in because that is what Dinan recommended.

#10 ·
I was unhappy with the throttle response on my automatic '06, so I had the Dinan stage 1 software installed, which does reduce the lag quite a bit. It also changed the shift points when in manual mode, which I never liked in the first place. I have been very happy so far, and wasn't put off by the $300 price tag. I also put a high flow air filter in because that is what Dinan recommended.
I know on my Z3 the software was a great improvement.

The high flow air filter - is this a cold air intake for the X3? I had a carbon fiber tube with high flow filter on my Z3. Expensive but nice. Or is it a filter that goes into the existing housing?

#13 ·
I have done a fair amount of searching for 2008 X3 performance parts. Lots of searching, but little finding.
-Dinan advertises no current model performance parts. Also, they will not divulge an email address.
-No Borla exhaust system available.
-No Supersprint exhaust systems listed.
-No intake systems of any kind.
-No software that I could find.
-There may be some European parts, but couldn't find anything concrete and none of the various websites I contacted ever bothered to respond.
-US websites selling BMW performance parts had basically nothing and responded that there was no market that justified development.
-Some limited parts may be available for early models.

If anyone finds anything for a 2008 (I think it is the same motor as the 2007), please let me know.

#18 ·
Quite a few of the posts to this thread do not address the original posted issue. What is available for aftermarket exhaust systems for the X3? Any real power gains are in the headers and catalytic converters, mufflers are good for 5 or so rear wheel horsepower at best. Haven't seen any mufflers even that are listed for the present model. This is 2009 and the current powertrain has been out since the 2007 model year. We also need intake systems and reprogramming. Where is it?

#21 ·
Supercharging that gains 60 HP for $5000 for the X3? Please back up this opinion with facts. Looks like it is erroneous for availability(no one makes it for X3) and price (BMW superchargers for other models begin at $8k+ without installation). Where can this fantasy product be purchased? Be specific. Provide website info.

#22 · (Edited)
Sorry for the confusion - I was talking cost and performance on the Z3. That was the price for me to do my own install. Pricing depends on brand. Eaton superchargers for the Z3 are in the $5k range. Dinan, on the otherhand, are around $10k.

I will check on the X3 also.

EDIT: Just checked - no supercharger for the E83. I guess we are not worthy! It is funny because I could have gotten a supercharger for my old Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) from Toyota Racing Development.

#28 ·
I might get this Remus exhaust:

http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/remus/Products/0862040504

I mostly want it for the sound. I realize it may only add 1-2 hp. I also think it might look better. The stock exhaust shows quite a bit, and doesn't look that great from behind. Let's face it, the X3 doesn't look that great from behind in general.

I notice the Remus doesn't have the hookup for the butterfly valve. If I unhook power to that vacuum will it trigger a fault in the computer? What is the purpose of the valve anyway? Does it muffle sound at idle? Or does it regulate back pressure? I really don't want to change how the engine runs. What do the BMW Warranty Police make of a new after-market muffler?

#29 ·
I have install these mod on my 2007 x3 msport

2007 X3si | Monacoblau Metallic/Leder Nevada Grau | /// M-Sport Package | Premium Package | Navigation | Sachs Super Touring Struts/Shocks with Eibach Prokit springs| Afe Intake| BMS Power Box| SuperSprint resonator/exhaust| AC Schnitzer rear spoiler | Beyern wollf 19x8.5 silver wheels (245/45/19)

Looking to upgrade my intake but nothing so far; i hope if i can retrofit a aftermarket intake but i'm still in research mode; wish i can supercharge but nothing on the market at this time in 2013 ... WTF ...

#30 ·
2007 X3si | Monacoblau Metallic/Leder Nevada Grau | /// M-Sport Package | Premium Package | Navigation | Sachs Super Touring Struts/Shocks with Eibach Prokit springs| Afe Intake| BMS Power Box| SuperSprint resonator/exhaust| AC Schnitzer rear spoiler | Beyern wollf 19x8.5 silver wheels (245/45/19)

Looking to upgrade my intake but nothing so far; i hope if i can retrofit a aftermarket intake but i'm still in research mode; wish i can supercharge but nothing on the market at this time in 2013 ... WTF ...
Do you have pictures of your X3? I would like to see how the Eibach Prokit looks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.