BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

05 545i Transmission Surging Issues help!

796K views 1K replies 264 participants last post by  s.harmon5300 
#1 ·
So for the past several months I have noticed that when my 5 gets between 35 and 40 mph it starts surging, like it starts loosing power but gains it back, and it only happens within 35-40 and just steady driving. I took it to the dealer, and there are no codes present, the service manager, tech's and the advisor all took a ride and felt it each time. They said they contacted BMW NA and that they wont do anything, unless it throws a code, but when I call them(BMWNA) to talk(complain) about it they tell me it has to have a code as well, and yet I still ask them why I am driving around their car that has issues that they wont fix, and all they can say is sorry until a code comes up. Has anyone had any issues like this with the surging transmission, or know how to talk to Customer Relations so that something does happen? It's just really annoying driving around a car that has issues, and they wont stand behind their product.

#216 ·
Mine surged when coming to a stop and when accelerating in either normal or sport mode. Since the mechatronics replacement the problem has ceased. I feel for everyone getting the run around, it is a shame to see how BMW is handling those under CPO and those out.

Has anyone tried to file a complaint with the BBB, it usually get's peoples attention. At this point what do you have to lose?

Also, if you live near Atlanta you could drive down and have the car looked at by me local dealership as my car was fixed almost no questions asked...almost.

#219 ·
My car is in for the 5th time (yes, really) to fix this. If they don't replace the mechatronics this time, I'm filing complaints with the BBB and NHTSA on BMW NA. Its obvious they know there is a problem and what the proper fix is, but won't step up if the car is still under warranty.

#220 ·
This is a topic that a true class action suit could work on. This is significant enough and effects nearly every owner.

#221 ·
Update - My SA called yesterday evening and said that BMW had finally authorized them to replace the mechatronics. The part should be in tomorrow. The SA said that it seems like BMW is slowly realizing they do have a problem. So, although we should not have to persist on the dealers and BMW to this extent, it seems persistence will pay off. But I am realizing that getting resolution can be an SA problem as much as a BMW NA problem. If your SA won’t do anything because there isn’t a code, get a different SA or go to a different dealer (if you can). I had to switch SAs at my dealer because the first one said the issue was all in my head. And its obvious that BMW isn’t making this problem known to its entire network so I suspect fixes will have to be pursued on an ICB for the near future at least.

After the engine issues on the early E46 M3 and the HPFP issues on the N54-engined cars, and now this (granted, not as catastrophic as those), BMW may have some Toyota-size problems pretty soon.

#222 ·
Update - My SA called yesterday evening and said that BMW had finally authorized them to replace the mechatronics. The part should be in tomorrow. The SA said that it seems like BMW is slowly realizing they do have a problem. So, although we should not have to persist on the dealers and BMW to this extent, it seems persistence will pay off. But I am realizing that getting resolution can be an SA problem as much as a BMW NA problem. If your SA won't do anything because there isn't a code, get a different SA or go to a different dealer (if you can). I had to switch SAs at my dealer because the first one said the issue was all in my head. And its obvious that BMW isn't making this problem known to its entire network so I suspect fixes will have to be pursued on an ICB for the near future at least.

After the engine issues on the early E46 M3 and the HPFP issues on the N54-engined cars, and now this (granted, not as catastrophic as those), BMW may have some Toyota-size problems pretty soon.
Good points Mike and glad they are finally helping you out!

It all depends on how hard your SA and the Tech fight for you with BMW on the PUMA case. BMW has got to know by now that something is going on since a bunch of us have had replacements. Just think of all the others that have the same issue that aren't on forums. The 6HP26 is also used in the E65's and E53's - I wonder if they are complaining of the same symtoms?

#223 ·
Had my car 2004 545i (78,250 miles) serviced at BMW dealership in Long Island for a defective transmission pan leaking AT fluid. Dealership replaced and test drove before I picked it up but also denoted that there was an oil leak attributed to vaccum pump/vanos seals which needed to be replaced soon.

As I was driving it back to NJ from Long Island delaership I noticed a 'kick/jerk/slip' as car decelerated several times. Drove the car to the market on Sunday and on the way back warning engine malfunction stating 'engine operating at reduced output'.

Emailed the SA in Long Island that replaced defective transmission pan/AT fluid and he felt it may be attributed to oil leak and bad vaccum pump/seals and have it looked at ASAP. Someone on this thread denoted that there transmission slip was attributed to the vanos seals and had it replaced.

My local SA in NJ just emailed me stating:

"Looks like the trans is bad waiting for BMWNA to get back to us we sent them all the faults sorry for the bad news"

From this thread it seems like program updates and or mechatronic replacement is the 'common' approach in dealing with this issue. No CPO but can I fight for a PUMA/Good Will Case given the 9 pages worth of blogs/owners going through this same problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have always been a Benz owner and never had a problem until getting into this 545i (and only on my 4th week).

#224 ·
From this thread it seems like program updates and or mechatronic replacement is the 'common' approach in dealing with this issue. No CPO but can I fight for a PUMA/Good Will Case given the 9 pages worth of blogs/owners going through this same problem?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I have always been a Benz owner and never had a problem until getting into this 545i (and only on my 4th week).
I too was out of warranty and after a few trips to dealer they opened a PUMA and authorized mechatronics replacement. As I said in my last post I think the replacement has to do with your relationship with the SA and how hard they are willing to fight for you.

#226 ·
Got the car back yesterday with new mechatronics. World of difference. No hiccups, shift from 5th to 6th is smooth and the car just seems to run through the gears better. Crazy that a transmission with only 65k on it was that out of whack.

For reference, Baron BMW in KC got BMW to approve the repair for my car.

#234 ·
Thank you for this! Giving it to the SA in the morning, car has been there for days now, maybe this will shed some light on the issue!

#231 ·
Gotta say, it's inspiring to see people come together in the face of the corporate monolith and manage to knock out a chip. Kudos to everyone contributing to the resolution and sharing of the final outcome. It's posts like this that will keep me coming back as a forum member. :thumbup:

#237 ·
I called my SA and demanded for them to open a PUMA case and I'm scheduled to bring the car in next week. On the way home, I noticed my car is no longer surging! Kept it steady at different speeds between 30-40 and nothing, smooth as butter. I would be happy, but who knows if this is going to last. I mean it's been surging consistently everyday since I bought it a month ago and now that I'm scheduled to get something done it's behaving...argh!!!

#238 ·
Bump.
Anyone got anything new on this. I had the software update, seemed better for a while, now it's worse. Bringing the car to the dealer today w/o an appointment to chat. I still have CPO warranty for another year, I PROMISE I will sue BMWNA if they do not replace my mechatronics unit.

#243 · (Edited)
I got a new mechatronics unit, pan, and fluid under CPO and the transmission is silky smooth. That's what this tranny should feel like, no surge between 30-40, no lurch as you come to a stop. You can keep your reprograming and tip in procedure. It's a waste of time.

#244 ·
I took my vehicle to another dealership this week, and they said they don't see anything wrong.

This is the second dearlership. This is absolutely not acceptable. How do we get this resolved. I filed a complaint a couple of weeks ago with the NHSTA, or whatever the acronym is.

#245 ·
today i had a problem with my Crank Ventilation Valve, i believe its just 2 pieces of caps that go by the engine, apparently they had some cuts in them, so the air/fuel mixture was not proportionate. I didn't get any faulty codes, until recently "Increase Emissions" in the IDRIVE. So those Ventilation Caps were replaced, and i've not noticed that surges so far between 30-40 m/h, although the rough idle hasn't gone away. Will monitor it for 2 weeks to see if it comes back again.

#246 ·
I had that exact same issue several weeks ago, but it's still kinda surgy in the 30-40mph range and has a rough idle. Resetting the adaptive transmission helped a bit, for awhile, but eh. I may just have to learn to live with it since no one has a tried and true solution that I've heard (and which actually completely works).

#247 ·
^^^ Again the new Mechatronics gets rid of the surge and the learch when you come to a stop.

#248 ·
Hmm, and how much does that usually cost? I've looked around here and elsewhere but haven't found any good sources for what to expect. Also, my issue more of a hesitation than the "slamming" some people have mentioned, so I'm not sure if it's the exact same issue, but it does happen during both acceleration and deceleration (so "surging" could be accurately used to describe it I guess). I'm kind of at a loss for what to do about it, it's not super bad, but it's annoying and shouldn't be happening.