BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need help (Thanks in advance!): I have a cracked wheel.

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  James_2008_535 
#1 ·
Whats up fellas, I had a slight air pressure leak in one of my tires, just to take it to the tire shop and find out that there is a crack in that particular wheel. Just a couple quick questions if you guys dont mind:

1. Repair or Replace the wheel? (Repairing the crack costs approx $125 at a local shop)
2. Any ideas where to find an individual wheel rather than a whole set? (Other than the dealer)
3. What style or name is my wheel? That way i know how to search the internet for this particular wheel. They are the 2004 530i sport package wheels which look like this:

See less See more
#3 ·
Repairing a crack to be air-tight and have good round balance is a bit of a gamble. Personally I'd try to find a replacement first. Inquire the dealer about the wheel "style" and new wheel price for reference. Also, since you mentioned sport package, take note of the width of this particular wheel, in case your car has staggered wheel widths front/back.

Try locating an Import junkyard near you. And ask that in case the wheel is bent and will not balance when you have your tire mounted, if they will refund you for the wheel... Next step would be to check eBay. Best or luck.

#4 ·
Personally, I would also be looking for a replacement wheel. I think once the crack has been repaired the wheel will be weaker. Not sure about the wheel style - have a look on REAL OEM - they should be able to help you.

#6 ·
Oh how I know all too well about cracked wheels. I've had my stockers fixed 3 times. All four of them, that is. Took them out of the boxes today to drop them off to be inspected / fixed and found that 3 of them are cracked again, and 1 is way bent(knew about the bend, that's why I have tsw's now). $133 per wheel. It's just a temp thing that we're going to try this winter and when they all crack again we'll drop to 17s for the snows next year. Trying to be more optimistic this winter as we wont have run-flats.

I say just get it fixed, but be mindful you'll need to replace them soon, and chances are that the other 3 have cracks too. Time to do a little wheel shopping? Early holiday gift?

Best of luck buddy!

#7 ·
3. What style or name is my wheel?
They look like star spoke style 123. You can check inside the rim for specs and the BMW part number.

One you have the style- and/or part number, you can look around for a single wheel.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

#10 ·
My rim was cracked on my car when I bought it (used) paid to have it fixed. 100 bucks. It cracked again on the opposite side and I had it fixed again. 100 bucks. It cracked a third time and I said screw it and bought a new rim off the Internet for 275 bucks. Should of did that from the start.

#12 ·
I had same thing happen to me. Discount tires ordered a new wheel from Classic BMW and it cost $370 and it was sent and installed the same day. Repair was not an option for me as it was badly cracked. My wheels are the 18" ones that come on 2008 535 with sports pack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.