BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Battery questions and problems

5K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Saintor 
#1 ·
Just joined this forum so trying to find out something regarding replacing the battery in our
328 i 2007 BMW. Dealer says we should replace it with BMW battery (that is what is in there now) but in other posts I am seeing others say that is not the case. I believe they are saying we have a OEM battery and nothing else will work. Prices vary a great deal so trying to find out best price and kind of battery we should get....anyone out there have gone throughout this would appreciate some advise. Also think I will try and replace the battery myself after reading some of these posts and still not clear if I need to get it registered once it is replaced. Also trying to get this posted to the correct forum and learning how to post and get info on this site...wish there was a help or info section that explains it a bit clearer as I posted the first part of this earlier and was advised to post it under the E90 forum, but don't quite know how to go about that yet. But think I may have it on the correct one now, so will see. Thanks!

#2 ·
You have posted in the E90 forum.

You can replace the battery with any brand you like, as long as it's compatible - especially with the requirement of the vent tube.

You then need to register it. That can be done at any place that services BMWs: dealer or independent. Dealer might charge an hour labor. This "registration" process is used so that the Intelligent Battery Controller will know how to condition and charge your battery to extend it's life as much as possible.

#6 · (Edited)
Thank you floydarogers! We did replace the battery with one from Auto Zone that has a vent tube. Now I guess all I need to do is get it registered. Appreciate your info.
Verify there is a plug in the vent on the other side if the battery. Autozone gave me one that fits in there when I returned to ask about it. Bit of a pain to push in with an already installed battery though.

#5 ·
i would suggest use dealership to replace battery if you want to avoid headache for saving few bucks, it is not easy to do if u are not do it yourself kind of guy.

#7 ·
Battery replacement

Well thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions and Calwaterboy who referred me to the thread about this and registration. The battery we got at auto zone has a little larger cranking amp than the original one but fits perfectly as is the same exact size and has a vent tube. The car started right up and we have yet decided whether we will be trying to get it registered or not as there seems to conflicting advise regarding this i.e. some say do,it and others who state they have not and all is fine. My wife will be using the car tomorrow so we'll see now it goes and have put in a couple of calls to some independent dealers asking them if they register and if so price and what their opinion is regarding registering, yes or no.

#8 ·
Well thanks to everyone who posted their suggestions and Calwaterboy who referred me to the thread about this and registration. The battery we got at auto zone has a little larger cranking amp than the original one but fits perfectly as is the same exact size and has a vent tube. The car started right up and we have yet decided whether we will be trying to get it registered or not as there seems to conflicting advise regarding this i.e. some say do,it and others who state they have not and all is fine. My wife will be using the car tomorrow so we'll see now it goes and have put in a couple of calls to some independent dealers asking them if they register and if so price and what their opinion is regarding registering, yes or no.
Keep reading - you're not done yet. About battery replacement.

You may conclude that registration is no more necessary than paying income tax.

#9 · (Edited)
Now, I did some reading on the internet and I found that if I declare myself a Free American Sovereign Citizen of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and not of the United States, and because they never really ratified the 16th Amendment, I don't have to pay no income tax.

I'll let you know how it works out.

#11 ·
Battery problems

Well it looks like my post has people researching whether to pay their income taxes now or not....but in regards to the battery I got a call from an independent repair shop and they said on the 2007 that I have it is necessary to register it and they do it for free if you have them put in the battery. But since it was over New Years and they were closed I did it myself so my wife is taking it I over to them tomorrow to get it registered just to be safe and she will find out what they would have charged to replace the battery had we have them do it and then what they are going to charge to register it...will let you know once this is done. This guy claimed it can cause the battery to not last as long or even possibly do the battery in...but I still think this is somewhat of a BMW scam as everything is so sophisticated it should be able to know a new battery has been put in....but I guess better safe than sorry!

#14 ·
Well it looks like my post has people researching whether to pay their income taxes now or not....but in regards to the battery I got a call from an independent repair shop and they said on the 2007 that I have it is necessary to register it and they do it for free if you have them put in the battery. But since it was over New Years and they were closed I did it myself so my wife is taking it I over to them tomorrow to get it registered just to be safe and she will find out what they would have charged to replace the battery had we have them do it and then what they are going to charge to register it...will let you know once this is done. This guy claimed it can cause the battery to not last as long or even possibly do the battery in...but I still think this is somewhat of a BMW scam as everything is so sophisticated it should be able to know a new battery has been put in....but I guess better safe than sorry!
That's good. The battery does need to be registered. Not all these computer controlled things are as automated as it would seem they should be.

#16 ·
When i replaced my battery none of the lights/computer gear on the dashboard worked. Also the radio did not work. The car turned on and I drove it to the dealership. They registered it and charged me (forget how much).

Registering is a rip-off. They could have made it plug and play, but I guess they forgot the second "L" and went for plug and pay

#17 ·
BMW has disconnected from reality on this battery registration issue ...... And the NAV $500 update ....... The run flat / no spare tire ....... The buggy software throttle delay ....... Uh ..... Sorry it's the ultimate driving machine! .........

#20 ·
Battery registration

Well I decided to register the new battery I replaced myself purchased at Auto Zone. Took it to an independent foreign auto dealer who said some 2007 328i's needed registration and some of that year didn't but when he hooked it up to the computer it would tell us if it were needed and mine was. Took them about 30 minutes and cleared all codes and showed mileage when installed (had driven it about 25 miles before registering) and it coat me $61. So now lets hope it lasts me longer than the 2 year warranty it came with.

#21 ·
Not to "butt in" here, but I'm wondering when this "battery registration" requirement started?
I had my battery changed at Sears for my 2003 E46 M3, and there was no such requirement...they just plopped in a new "European" spec. battery and I was off. No problems.

#22 ·
Not to "butt in" here, but I'm wondering when this "battery registration" requirement started?
F3x (maybe F10?) It resets the Intelligent Battery System so that it can optimize charging/discharge rates as the battery ages, in an attempt to lengthen battery life . The new cars use a lot of juice. BMW and others abandoned their attempt to use dual-voltage systems (one 12v, one 42v ? IIRC) and this is the result.

#23 · (Edited)
My first post!

I just changed my battery today.

There are two issues you should be aware of registration and coding CAS correctly if battery different.

Registering is letting the computer controlling the charging profile that you have a new battery as the charging profile changes over time. Registering can be done by the dealer or with Tools32.exe, INPA in older models, Easy-DIS and others.

Coding is only required if you purchase a battery of different capacity. I read my CAS module and saw that my E90 had 90ah_agm so I purchased the same. This is so the charging profile matches the capacities of the battery. It is easier to replace with same battery as you do not have to recode and for the person down the road who replaces with the proper battery and does not check that you reprogrammed CAS it could cause a problem.

There are good tutorials on removing/replacing the battery, registering, and coding on the forums.

Registering started on the 7 Series in 2002 and on the 3 Series in 2006.

The settings available in CAS are:

KLASSE_BATTERIE
46ah
55ah
70ah
80ah
90ah
110ah
40ah_agm
60ah_agm
70ah_agm
80ah_agm
90ah_agm

#26 ·
Insanity. Once cars hit a certain age owners are going to DIY replace the battery. This post is saying those owners will do $2,300 worth of damage.

#25 ·
Battery problems

In response to laser, I agree with you! And found it interesting that you mentioned the $500 nav update as I would think since my navigation CD I a little over 5 yrs old probably due for a new one and is it really $500? That is really a rip off among the other issues you mentioned!

And @pointandgo based on the recent blog I just read added by VDPHB this registration is only on newer models beginning I think 2007, but reading the blog was very informative! And
Thank you VDPHB for sharing that post.

When we discovered our battery dead it was over the Christmas holidays and we were trying to return home which required a 9 hour drive. We called AAA who came out and tested the battery stating it was dead and needed replaced, but they could not do it. So he charged us and we made it home but never turned off the car over the next 9 hrs and once home took the battery out so we could get one with matching settings as we couldn't get in to any place being closed over holiday. But replacement and registration were done...so now on to navigation update and oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.