BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What to do while your BMW is being built?

28K views 109 replies 27 participants last post by  Bruce917 
#1 ·
I just received the production # for new bmw. it is currently in "production begins" phase. I wish I could get it tomorrow.

any suggestion on what I can do in the meantime to make sure I can start enjoying the car when it finally arrives in 6+ weeks.

any useful accessories, care kits, etc?

#2 ·
Download the manual from the BMW website. It's a complicated car, and will seem more so if you haven't had a BMW before. If you study the manual now you will enjoy the car much more when you get it.

#4 ·
1. your car will come shining, but winter is coming. plan for its upkeep. you may consider opticoating it
2. do you have the rubber floor mats that will be useful during winter.
3. tint
4. read about coding if that interests you

#5 · (Edited)
1) Read the manual
2) Call the BMWNA 1-800 number for vehicle status
3) Learn how to track the vehicle/vessel location after the car left the port
4) Look for mods
5) Hang out here and 5post often

#6 ·
I'm in the exact same boat. I am "in production". Here's what I've done:

* Ordered a new Valentine One. My current one has lived thru two 550's, so I figure it's time for the latest version. I always hard-wire them, so I want to have it ready to go.

* Ordered a new EZTag for our toll roads. I realize this is geocentric to me, but you may have something similar in your area. Houston EZTags stick to your windshield and can't be reused, so I want to have that ready also.

I'm waiting on mats, to see what comes in the car. I'll have it lightly tinted at the dealer.

Great idea about the manual. Thanks!:thumbup: I'm on my way to dl it now.

Great thread!:) Waiting is a b*tch...

#7 ·
Looks like several of us are in production together. My 528 started production on 11/5/12 and the estimated completion date is 11/13/12. I'm trying not to get too excited - I went through this over the summer when I ordered my 2013 328 that they are taking back. I'm really excited to have the "comfort seats" - I didn't have those in my previous 550 or 535.

Ralph1201 - thanks for having the picture of your car online, it gives me a great idea as to what mine will look like on the outside. I'm not as excited about the 17" wheels and the look of them but I think they are growing on me. I really like the 18" wheels that came on my 328 Luxury Line. So I've been shopping online for possible wheel replacements. How do you like your 17" wheels - good ride?

I'm looking forward to my early Xmas present. HAHAHAHAHA

#11 ·
I placed the order in the first week of Oct and the car has been sitting at the port for several days waiting for vessel. Since yours is a sold order, the production week should get bump a week ahead.

The wait is not easy :mad:

#10 ·
Go to the strip club. Don't leave until the car arrives.

#14 ·
Deep breaths, OOOOMMMMMM, sitting in a dimly lit space with Yanni playing:rofl:

BTW, on the EZ pass type transponders for toll roads - I have applied them to the sunroof glass just over the driver's head position so if the glass is open it is still available to the transponder equipment at the toll plaza. In Atlanta the stick on transponder is about as thick as a credit card with no battery. I used scotch tap to adhere it on a test run before a peel and stick session as they are a one time application. So far the heat between the glass and sunroof cover has not caused them to come undone.

#15 ·
Someone already mentioned it but look into the coding and the little tweaks that can be done to custom your BMW to your taste. (Turn signals, folding mirrors, HUD additions, adjustments of chimes and dings, etc.

#17 ·
I called the BMWNA number and learned my vehicle is in the paint shop today - due to be completed tomorrow 11/13. I'm getting excited but trying to keep a lid on it because it will take a month to get to Florida - UGH!!!!

#20 ·
Mine says "production ends". I assume that means it is waiting for a boat. How often does a boat get filled and depart? Weekly, monthly?

#21 ·
It varies, but usually about every week to 10 days.

If you want to keep track of your ship - go over to he ED group - no doubt someone will be on the ship your car is on.

#22 ·
#23 ·
Yep, that's what I did too (different ship tracker) but if you start a thread saying "who' on ship name" everyone will start posting and you can keep great track of how long things are really taking. Just my $.02

#24 ·
Thanks! Great info.:thumbup:

#25 ·
Waiting too

Ordered my 535 x drive last Monday. The waiting is going to kill me but it looks like I am in good company here. When I check the status with my production number it says that my order is still being processed---not even in production yet:0 Downloading the owners manual now. Thanks for the tip, it should keep me busy!

#30 ·
Florida Highway Ship, ETA 11-28-2012 according to my sales guy.

:thumbup:

#31 ·
Just found out my 528 is on the Florida Highway and due into port on 11/28/12. EXCITED!!!!!! Anyone else on Florida Highway?

#35 ·
How 'bout the guy in the post immediately above you!:dunno:

#32 ·
Where is the Florida highway?

I am confused. Highway, but do in port? Help me out here... RDZ

#33 ·
Where is the Florida highway?

I am confused. Highway, but do in port? Help me out here... RDZ
"Florida Highway" is the ships name. When my 2013 328 was shipped to the US of A, it was on the "California Highway" - I was a bit confused as to the name of the ships but figured it out.

#42 ·
Astrohip ~ funny how you're going to get two new BMWers in December. My Partner and I are about to do the same thing - in December, they'll excuse the last three months of our 128 convertible lease so we can get either a 2013 128 or 328 convertible lease. We lease my Partners convertible because he only has a 5 mile commute to work and drive it on the weekends - we always turn it in about 10+k miles under what the lease allows. So when we pick up my 5, we might be walking away with a new convertible too.

I'm just glad that when I ordered this 5 that it was about to go into production for my dealer. This is a shorter wait than when I ordered my 2013 328. The waiting is what drives me NUTS!!! I'm not a patient person so this has certainly put me to the test doing this twice this year. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! But I keep telling myself it'll be worth it. Especially since I'm getting the the Oyster/Black interior with multi-contour seats that I couldn't order on my 3. What's making it worse, I even dreamt of receiving my car last night - I just had to leave my 3 in the center of the road and dash across it to get to my 5. Maybe I need to seek help for this addiction of mine???? HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!!

#43 ·
Hadn't planned on both of us getting cars at the same time. My wife has 80,000+ miles on a 2009 X5, so she's approaching the tipping point. But the new X5 is coming out next summer. Even she knows you never buy a first year model BMW, so it was either now or wait about two years, so we pulled the trigger.

Yeah, the wait is tough. Makes it all the tastier!:p

#44 ·
Not to spoil things, but you think you will have both cars before the end of the year? That seems unlikely for the X5.

#47 ·
You may be right. The 550 will be at port Thursday, 7-10 days later should be in Houston. That one's good to go.:thumbup:

I'm less familiar with the timing of X cars. I don't know what week 49/50 production means in relation to arriving at the dealer. :dunno:

The 550 is being leased, and I want it to start this year. The X is just a purchase, although finance incentives may make me finance it for a couple months. I think the dealer said if we sign the deal this year that the BMW money would be locked in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.