BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Disappointed with BMW warranty/maintenance (brakes)

13K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  cwinter 
#1 ·
I love BMW (I'm on my 3rd) but I am increasingly disappointed with them. First, they decided to use run-flat tires and remove a spot for spare. This led to a very harsh ride and sometimes dangerous situation with certain potholes. Now, with nearly 40K miles on my 2010 BMW 328i xDrive, they refuse to replace brake rotors and pads. The dealership is claiming that there is a rust ring and that the only solution is to pay them $1200+ to replace the rotors and that it's not covered under warranty nor under maintenance.

#2 ·
I'm really confused. How are certain potholes more dangerous to different tires?

And don't all rotors have rust rings? They aren't made of alloy or stainless. Once you replace them the next pair will develop a rust ring guaranteed.

#3 ·
Stupid question perhaps, but can you turn a wrench? Have a jack and jack stands? Or know someone with the aforementioned items/abilities?

Changing rotors and pads on all four corners for most vehicles is a 2-3 hour job (with a break for lunch and brew or two). The day I paid a dealer (or anyone) $1200 to replace rotors and pads is the day hell freezes over..

#10 ·
Amen brother!

But as far as the "rust ring" requiring replacement of rotors goes. I believe the dealer is giving you a line of BS just to stick it to you. Next they will be telling you that the air in your tires needs to be changed. I would find a new dealer ASAP.

#4 · (Edited)
Now, with nearly 40K miles on my 2010 BMW 328i xDrive, they refuse to replace brake rotors and pads. The dealership is claiming that there is a rust ring and that the only solution is to pay them $1200+ to replace the rotors and that it's not covered under warranty nor under maintenance.
There has to be more to it. Are they trying to claim the "rust ring" is evidence of abnormal wear or abuse? (What does it even mean? The lip at the edge of the rotor that develops through normal wear? :dunno:)

Brakes are covered under maintenance. Perhaps get a second opinion if there is another dealer near you. Otherwise, call BMW NA Customer Relations at 800-831-1117, tell them exactly what the dealer told you and that you believe the repair should not be excluded from the maintenance coverage. They will investigate and either explain to you why the dealer's position is justified, or come down hard on them for trying to charge you for a covered repair.

If you are feeling charitable you can argue your case with the dealer first. Make them show you exactly what it is about your brakes that the maintenance plan does not cover and why. Casually mention that you disagree and will take it up with BMW NA and they might suddenly decide to "do you a favor" and cover the work. You still have the option to go over their heads if needed.

#7 · (Edited)
+1 - has the car's computer indicated the brakes need replacement? The maintenance plan covers maintenance "as determined by the Condition Based Service indicator". A few items are time based (brake fluid- every 24 months, but not pads & rotors), but most are wear based.

#8 ·
Completely agree...I assumed the OP would not even have had the conversation with the dealer, had the car not been asking for brakes. The situation is entirely different if that is not the case.

#6 ·
I've had rotors changed under warranty on two of my BMWs as they were legitimately worn out (driving schools always help). Your post lacks some details...are they worn out to BMW's warranty spec or just showing "rust rings," whatever that may be. :dunno:

#12 ·
I agree with the idea of getting a pic on here. Let everyone have a look. Perhaps the dealer is seeing something we're having a difficult time imagining? Or perhaps they're just trying to screw you. Pics would help :)

So far, I'm leaning toward the latter.

Please forgive any grammatical errors, sent from mobile

#14 ·
....with nearly 40K miles on my 2010 BMW 328i xDrive, they refuse to replace brake rotors and pads. The dealership is claiming that there is a rust ring and that the only solution is to pay them $1200+ to replace the rotors and that it's not covered under warranty nor under maintenance.
Pic? Ask them for a better explanation, why a rust ring is a problem. Should be entertaining - post response here!

#15 ·
Sounds to me like he is asking them to replace the brakes before the car actually needs it, and that is why BMW won't pay. Seems pretty straight forward if that is the case.

#17 ·
Sensors do occasionally malfunction and go off before the brakes are completely worn.

#18 ·
It's unclear if the dealer is refusing to change the pads and rotors or just the rotors. There is a spec on the rotors. If the rotors are thicker than that spec, then they do not get replaced under maintenance plan even if the pads get replaced. Most dealers (and techs) are happy to slap some pads on the car and go so they can move on to the next car.

To clarify the brake warning light - it's a two stage system:
1. At the point where the brake pads are about half worn, the first portion of the sensor is tripped. This does NOT turn on the light, but it does tell the computer. The computer then calculates (based on the mileage on the current pads) how much longer the current pads will last. Unless your driving style changes dramatically from the first half of the pad life to the second half, it's proven to be a pretty accurate way to do it.

#21 ·
BMW dealers typically perform brake pad replacement when the light comes on (or as indicated by mileage sensor) but do not replace rotors unless defective. Of course that means the rotors eventually get tweaked and squeak, etc. However most dealers will not replace brakes under warrantly unless the car service indication shows that they are within 2000 miles of end of useful lifespan.

#23 ·
FWIW the brake light on my 335i came on a week ago Saturday when I was about 90 miles from home. The car was already scheduled to be taken in for routine service the following Wednesday. We drove the car back home and it was fine. When I took it to BMW Manhattan they said that they rear pads were worn down and needed to be replaced. The job was done N/C under maintenance.

CA

#24 ·
I am due in on Wednesday at BMW's invitation for oil change & brakes. Just got the yellow triangle today that said rears are worn. Never ever since 1960 have rear brakes gone out before the fronts. On average it was 2 sets of front to 1 set or rears.

#26 ·
lol some dealers take more effort than others. I just try to be nice and usually within a trip or two they take good care of me. If not I'd try one of the many other dealers around.

Being nice and patient is harder for some, but it will pay you back tenfold most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.