BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Updated CCV Dip stick tube - not work with old dipstick

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  FLE39 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, did my whole CCV job this morning. Did the whole job in about 2hrs flat. Which amazed me. From what I read on here I was expecting a 6-8hr job. It went awsome. The hardest part was connecting the top side tube to the CCV that has the twist lock but I figured it out in about 15 minutes. For those that don't remember, I got the udpated cold weather CCV kit, even though I live in FL yes and updated oil dip stick tube. However..... I tried the oil dip stick in the new tube before I put it in the car, good thing, and it got stuck at the bottom! Got it out and figure the old dip stick does not work with the new tube? :dunno: Figured one of you fellers on here would of posted this.

EDIT: I've been searching on the net. Can't really find an answer to this. The only thing I found is I'm not alone. It happens to a lot of people. The only thing I found that may be a fix or help is on the E46 forum they showed pics of two dip stick bases/tips. one was like mine, had the 4 fins up top. The other had that and a 4 fin bulb at the tip/base also. That would fix this issue. I emailed the bmw part store, Adam. To check on a updated part # b/c Real OEM is just listing the # that the car originally had... heck they're still listing the old tube. I'll keep ya'll posted.

#2 ·
I have not ever heard of this happening before. I reused my old dipstick tube the last time but plan on getting the new dipstick tube when I replace the CCV this spring.

2 hrs! I am impressed! You must have small hands! Did you remove anything else to improve access?

#3 ·
Left the DISA valve or whatever you call it the flapper in place. Removed the driver side cabin air filter box, throttle body, air box, and the intake manifold cover. that's it. Was actually pretty easy job. F'n dipstick snags on the new tube. Like I said, if I had installed the tube, then put the dipstick in, I would of had to remove the tube to free the dipstick. Only snafu on this job. I have pretty decent size hands. Large gloves.

#4 · (Edited)
Did some searching because I am about to replace CCV and dipstick tube on my 2003 530i 5 spd and do not want to run into this problem. Question came up on Bimmerforums and some familiar folks replied. Here is best post:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23347234&postcount=150

Sounds and looks like twisting the dipstick while pulling up on it will work. There is no new dipstick design. Other possible fix is to use a Dremel tool to grind down the plastic tip where it is snagging on the tube.

#5 ·
So cutting my dipstick was not a smart thing. F'k.

#6 · (Edited)
Well if there is not a updated part # I'll buy a new dip stick b/c my idiot self just cut the old one for temp use. I was scared of it getting caught never coming back out and having to remove the tube. So buy a new dipstick and then I'll dremel all the tops of the notices to aid in removal. that's the issue right there.... You have a bunch of gradiation or notches that are 90* angles. Of course when you pull up they get caught. 45'n them will help them slip by the inside edges. F'n Aholes. They should of come up with a new dipstick. Preferably made of cable, and a well thought out tip. but no. for $135 you get a tube that doesn't work with the old stick. genius. Yu wonder why these people lost the war. They need to hire some more mediocore engineers to catch these mondane items.

#9 ·
My brother in law managed a Goodyear service center for many years and has busted my chops many times with the refrain, "The problem with German cars is that they are over engineered, over priced and over here.." Given that he had a group of mechanics that did some of the sloppiest work I have ever seen, I wrote it off as whining from a group that wasn't interested in jobs that were not guaranteed to let them beat the book time and increase profits. With the CCV system on this generation of BMWs, I have agree with him. The engineering concept is good but the way they did it is asinine.

#7 ·
i have just done my ccv on my 2000 328i my only concern was the hose that runs thru the manifold although i could not twist to lock in place it is fully on very tightly probably why i couldn"t twist it,my question is is it likely any pressure will start to push it off,as i am happy to redo as it only took me 4hours,thanks

#8 ·
^ I made sure my new one was twist locked. That was the hardest part. But I got it. I didn't want it coming off. I noticed some just dremeled it or whatever but I massaged it on, fully locked. Will yours blow apart? Doubt it. it's a vacuum system. could it vibrate lose or have some vacuum leak, yes.

#10 · (Edited)
DING!!! We have a winner. Come on down Johny!!!! ^^^^^^ I love the german cars. the driving experieince, the safety, the RWD... just love it. But they can give you headaches to the point where you just say F'k it I give up. Tired of bleeding money for these cars. Buying a Fusion/Camry/Accord/Altima or getting a bumped up Fusion MKZ like I had for 13 months. My MKZ was like maintaining a lawnmower. I got the Motorcraft Syn Blend oil @ walmart for like $13/5qtys. Motorcraft filter for like $3.50. Changed it every 7,500-10,000. Air filters were $8. Drove it to 80,000 miles and only did oil changes and tire rotations and 1 set of spark plugs @ 60k. I didn't spend jack on that car. And it was nicer than average camry. 45k miles in 13 months for work... yes I drive. Loved the Lincoln MKZ. If I had the 2009+ I probably would of kept it and sold the 335i. Not to mention my lincoln had Bluetooth, sat radio, memory seats, garage door opener...everythign. and.... TWO F'N CUP HOLDERS!!!! and a 6spd Auto that was built in Japan and rocked. And 263HP. And burned 87 gas. Sometimes you just have to vent and give cred where it's due. I don't know why I keep abusing myself with the BMW's... Lincoln or Lexus is the way to go unless you like to turn wrenches on Sat morning instead of sleeping in or golfing.

In all seriousness, a Lexus GS is RWD, silky smooth and prices comparable to the 5 series and has much lower maintenance and lower 5yr ownership cost. I love the GS exterior, but the inside just screams old rich lady from Sarasota FL. But for most, it's a better option $$. I think the Lincoln MKZ's (2009+) have a better interior. I had a 2008 Blk on Blk Mobster looking one, belive it was the last year of that generation. The one after mine had thicker glass, quieter interior, complete re-design which I really like. Just stinks it's FWD. But they do full suspension kits being it's a Fusion cousin. So you could put new lower springs, sway bars, exhaust, SCT Tuner flash Etc on it... or even a super charger. Pretty sick cars IMO. And they're good size. Big, but not boats. If I commit BMW suicide I'm buying a newer MKZ. Then I'll have to find something else to do on my evenings and weekends other than cruise forums and work in the garage. FYI, I never even found a MKZ forum... :) I would so take a 2009+ Silver/Blk MKZ, full suspension drop, super charger and ehxuast. That would be one sick car. What sux is the new 2013's only have a 4cyl Turbo 240HP with D.I. Boooo... Throw the 3.7 V6 fro the MKX into it.

#11 · (Edited)
DING!!! We have a winner. Come on down Johny!!!! ^^^^^^ I love the german cars. the driving experieince, the safety, the RWD... just love it. But they can give you headaches to the point where you just say F'k it I give up. Tired of bleeding money for these cars. Buying a Fusion/Camry/Accord/Altima or getting a bumped up Fusion MKZ like I had for 13 months. My MKZ was like maintaining a lawnmower. I got the Motorcraft Syn Blend oil @ walmart for like $13/5qtys. Motorcraft filter for like $3.50. Changed it every 7,500-10,000. Air filters were $8. Drove it to 80,000 miles and only did oil changes and tire rotations and 1 set of spark plugs @ 60k. I didn't spend jack on that car.

Sometimes you just have to vent and give cred where it's due.
In all fairness to older BMWs, the models I have owned with M30, M50, and M52 engines have been very reliable and low maintenance with exception of 15K mile valve adjustment on the M30. I like the way my E39 drives but the older models were definitely cars that let you enjoy driving and having a life on weekends that did not always involve tinkering with the car. The M54 engine does not have nearly the same degree of reliability and simplicity to work on. I am definitely beginning to see why people drop GM LSx engines in these cars. If I keep my 530i for the long haul, I think I will be joining that club some day.

#12 · (Edited)
exactly. nickel and dime fest. But I calmed down..... Like my E39 and the new '11+ 5'er. Not really feeling the E60. I guess the bottom line is I like the 5 series, just maybe should trade both BMW's I own for 1 newer 5. OH well I'm on the what I think is last lap or near last lap on getting my 530i fixed up so I'll drive it for as long as possible, 2-3yrs hopefully and try to sell my 335i now being I never drive it. I work long weeks then I'm working on my E39 and spending family time. no time for my dream E90 and keeping th E90 is not a good deal b/c I use my car for a lot of business driving. the E90 is just over the top. I'll probably just get on a 2-3yr CPO 5'er, Auto, under 40k miles in white or silver every 5yrs plan when I get out of my E39 DD & E90 Dream I can't drive. 2 BMWs is too much to keep up with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.