BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Navigation Maps Update for $500

13K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  737flyer 
#1 ·
I would like to get the latest version of the navigation maps. The price that I was quoted was approximately $500 with the maps, installation and tax. If this is correct, it is really outrageous.

#2 ·
It is correct. The maps are like $15. The code to activate them is about $100. The rest is the labor they charge since it takes 3-4 hours to download them.

You can buy the maps at the dealer and the code for under $100 (or so, IIRC) from one of our European friends on here. Then just do it yourself.

#5 ·
I had the dealer update mine from 2010 to 2011. There was no meaningful improvement in map coverage or routing intelligence (?). And it cost $650 for the dealer to do the install. From other threads, there is a relatively wide range of prices, depending on the dealer. But all are outrageous.

There is a complete thread on DIY for this. While the thread is long, there is a good explanation at #138. See link.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540474&page=2

#7 ·
My service adviser looked further into this. His information was out of date. Now one buys the software and a USB drive from the local BMW Center. The client is given a code and downloads the software on a USB drive purchased from the BMW center. I have no idea why one would need to buy the USB drive from the BMW center.

#8 ·
I ordered last Weds from this site. http://navigation.teleatlas.com/bmwusa

From what I can tell; this how you get a map update now. This site looks like it is owned by TomTom but is only for BMW around the world.

I want to see if the code key is imbedded on the USB drive or shipped with the drive. I would like to use the map for another car. I know I can get a key for less than the cost of this combination.

I did try to find a way to order the maps on a CD but I could not find a site that recognized the maps part number I used before.

#9 · (Edited)
Please update us when you get your shipment.

#11 ·
Well I don't know how the code is sent. My guess is BMW is tired of people illegally generating FSC codes and selling them. Plus they are not selling CD's of the maps for $8 like they did last year as far as I can tell. My belief is they are trying to close that revenue loophole and get $245 from folks because people don't want to pay the outrageous prices they were charging-$400+ . If they are going to close the loophole they might imbed the code inside the map some way.

Not sure how they will do this for when I updated last year from a CD I bought from BMW for $14 I entered a code right at the beginning of the installation. We will see.

#12 ·
They are apparently not selling the DVD Media only version anymore, but instead you can get the USB Media Version only. So it is now $42 instead of $11. You can buy an FSC Code for $50, and be upgraded for around $100 net.

#20 ·
It is generated based on the 1B Nav FSC Code in your CIC and your short VIN, so it is car specific. There is no universal FSC Code.

#16 ·
Has anyone upgraded yet?
Have a 2012 F10 and wondering if there are any significant upgrades.

Anyone know if the upgrades include the improved traffic re-route shown in TV ads.

#17 ·
Has anyone upgraded yet?
Have a 2012 F10 and wondering if there are any significant upgrades.

Anyone know if the upgrades include the improved traffic re-route shown in TV ads.
I have. :)

I haven't noticed any difference yet, although I have not driven it much either since upgrading.

#18 · (Edited)
I did the upgrade which just came out.

Key information:
BMW 0n-Board Navigation System
Digital Road Map for North America
USB North America Premium 65 90 2 338 094
2013 Version 1A
The maps are by Tom Tom
A 32 GB USB drive has the maps on it. It is contained in a nice PVC case.
The BMW Center submits your VIN Number to BMW. They receive a Map Certificate that is given to the customer. It has a release code for your vehicle.
You insert the USB drive into USB outlet on the right side of your glove box. When the car recognizes the USB it prompts you for a code. You enter the code and and the software starts loading. It takes approximately 30 minutes. Once started you can drive while it loads. If you turn off the car while loading, it starts up again when you restart the car. Very cool.
After loading the maps, you remove the thumb drive and reuse it for another purpose.
Price approximately $220 plus tax.

Routing is better and it better identifies streets/roads with less traffic. For me it is worth the price.

#19 · (Edited)
I did the upgrade which just came out.

Key information:
BMW 0n-Board Navigation System
Digital Road Map for North America
USB North America Premium 65 90 2 338 094
2013 Version 1A
The maps are by Tom Tom
A 32 GB USB drive has the maps on it. It is contained in a nice PVC case.
The BMW Center submits your VIN Number to BMW. They receive a Map Certificate that is given to the customer. It has a release code for your vehicle.
You insert the USB drive into USB outlet on the right side of your glove box. When the car recognizes the USB it prompts you for a code. You enter the code and and the software starts loading. It takes approximately 30 minutes. Once started you can drive while it loads. If you turn off the car while loading, it starts up again when you restart the car. Very cool.
After loading the maps, you remove the thumb drive and reuse it for another purpose.
Price approximately $220 plus tax.

Routing is better and it better identifies streets/roads with less traffic. For me it is worth the price.
Or you could buy the same USB Media version without the FSC Code only for $42, and an FSC Code from "The FSC Code Man" for $50, and be done for under $100. :D

#22 ·
Shawn, I see the note on the bottom of that literature abou a pre-9/09 build date. Will it work with non-combos cars?

#23 ·
Yes, Combox is not at all related. I have not figured out why it states that CIC <= 09/2009 won't work via USB. I know several people with builds much older (e.g. 09/2008), and as long as you have a CIC and USB Port in the Glovebox, it seems to work just fine.

#24 ·
My 5er is non-combox and the maps upgrade worked fine.

#25 ·
Just curious, what is your actual build date? Are you <= 09/2009?

#26 ·
June 2010

#27 ·
I got my USB stick and code from TomTom/BMW. It took almost two weeks.
I inserted the USB in the glove box and it asked for the code. I entered it and it said code incorrect. So I though maybe the o was a 0 (zero) still an error. Then I thought maybe I was 1(one) still an error. I tried every other combination of these to no avail.
I called TomTom/BMW but customer support knew nothing. They are supposed to have someone call me.
This could turn out to be a cluster F---. They will be hesitant to give me my money back because I have opened the package. So I end up out $250 and have no new navigation.

Maybe I should have ordered from a dealer. Then if I have a problem there is help. And if the code doesn't work they can see I don't have the new nav software installed on my car and perhaps give me a refund.

After this problem maybe I shouldn't upgrade at all. I have a a Telenav Scout app on my iPhone 5 that is the best Nav software I have ever seen. It has traffic data for local streets not just interstates. However this does not show in my HUD like the BMW nav and that makes it extremely easy to follow.
I will see if TomTom/BMW can solve the problem. Here is place I bought map and code.
http://store.bmwgpsmaps.com
CC

#29 ·
They may have entered your VIN wrong. Part of the process for getting the unlock code is for the software seller to enter the VIN correctly. BMW generates the unlock code that is unique for each VIN. I paid a few bucks more in getting this my local dealer but it was quick and painless. I got my BMW Car Club of America discount so I got a reasonable discount.

#30 ·
This code is for a 2010 535i GT built 08/10.
I did this upgrade last year and the only problem was I could not tell an O from a 0-zero. Once I figured that out no problems.

I have concluded they put in the vin incorrectly. However we will see if BMW/TomTom gets back to me.
CC

#32 ·
No, nothing like that. If you had an ENET Cable, and could connect to your car, I could help you with your problem, but if you can not connect to your car, I can't do anything.

Maybe they did mess up the VIN on your order, so if that is the case, they should be able to get you a new FSC Code for your VIN.

#33 ·
Thank you for offering assistance. TomTom called plus answered my e-mail. This is a new venture for them and I am one of the first ones to get the product. All of the first ones have had the same problem so it sounds like the codes being generated are incorrect. They are meeting with BMW today to resolve the issue. I am confident it will get resolved quickly or else they have no business and the new folks have no jobs.
CC

#40 ·
WOOHOO...Successfully upgraded maps in my F10 for just $50 inclusive of maps and FSC code thanks to our European friend and shawnsheridan who was very patient with me :)

No noticeable difference that I could tell, but I will try a route this evening and see if it still takes me through those roads that are closed :)

Glad I didn't spend $250+

#41 ·
BMW/TomTom sent the correct code for the map update today. It took about 55 minutes to complete the entire process. Much faster than last year with the CD's. I did pay $250 and not $100 but I am uneasy about someone running a bootleg business and stealing real Companies monies. I put myself and the other side of these transaction and ask would I want people doing that to me. Just my 2 cents.
CC

#42 ·
Three things I have noticed about the new maps.
1. I like the new arrangements of POI. It seems better organized to me plus I found some new places
2. When I looked at traffic it had some local streets listed now. Before I only saw interstate highways.
3. A map error close to me still has the error. I decide to report it and maybe next year it will be fixed.
CC

#43 ·
Cc. How do u report errors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.