BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Cooling System

77K views 990 replies 33 participants last post by  bmoneyg 
#1 ·
Hey all, if anyone read my 5 page saga on cooling, sorry for the long read! Anyway, I have a new tstat and coolant and it's working fine. Thermostat is now opening at 105 every single time, even after running for 30min.. all is well, however if I sit in traffic for an extra ordinary long time, like let it idle for 15 min, it will start to climb to 107, but will drop back to 105 when moving, and then drop back down to 102/103.. then driving and stop and go it will run to 105, back to 102/103 and so on, so I know the tstat is opening correctly, but it seems something is not working 100% if it's getting a little too hot idling for a long time, keep in mind this is after driving for 30-40min and then idling for about 15min.. good thing is it's not going to 108 like before.. I know my aux pump is going out, I read other reports on here of others having the same noise mine is making and replacing it resolved it, so I bought one from the dealer and will redrain and replace, but that should have nothing to do with idling..

Also when I drain the coolant and start my car after refilling the water pump makes a really bad loud noise for about 30sec until it evidently gets water inside. I noticed it did that this morning after sitting over night.. I am wondering if my pump could be going, it's got 50k on it, but I don't want to replace stuff thats not bad, and I am wondering if there is something else or another reason that would happen..

Any ideas would be great, thanks!

See less See more
#809 ·
Yea same thing. Which is better??? I think there the same??? I've always used RP and it works so I never try anything else?? They have great oil also

#810 · (Edited)
Sorry I'm driving.... Didn't see ur second question, no I've never tried water wetter?? its made by redline correct? But I heard it works good??

#811 · (Edited)
Aux fan kicks in and temp just drops down:))) Speedometer Auto part Odometer Gauge Measuring instrument

I'm GLAD this stuff works:)))
And it's warm in NY right now it's 46 that's warm for us right now and car is @93c.... I think that good:)))

#821 · (Edited)
Aux fan kicks in and temp just drops down:))) View attachment 359750
I'm GLAD this stuff works:)))
And it's warm in NY right now it's 46 that's warm for us right now and car is @93c.... I think that good:)))
Hello I too live in east coast in Pennsylvania today its like 65 feels great. Need to ask u said the aux fan kicks on I never seen mine run and my temps are around 102 to 105 and after a long trip and I get to drive way and idle it goes to like 107 for less then minute then goes to 105 and stays there. I did all new hose, aga pipe and thermostat. About 2 weeks ago. Could my aux fan be bad I did all new sensors too oh my car got a clutch fan and it dont spin too fast and I can stop it with hand after an hour trip I see it spin up but not like my escalade that sound like a 747 jet lol thanks again.

#813 ·
Hey SF, I am curious about something.. he said above his aux fan kicks in at 96c and cools to 93c.. but I thought it went by the lower hose? So I don't understand how his fan could be coming on.. How could his lower hose be at 66c and rest is at 93c? Not quite sure I understand that unless his lower hose is heating up while car is at lower temps because his tstat is open longer? But that doesn't make since.. does it?

#825 ·
For some "smart" ones here who think aux wp is responsible for cabin heat:

The auxiliary pump's primary role is to provide coolant flow through the cabin heater matrix when the engine is not running or the RPM is low. The pump will run as long as the coolant temperature is above 30C and the heater controls are set to demand heat. With the ignition in position I and II, when the 'REST' button is pressed (as long as the above conditions are met), the auxiliary pump will circulate coolant through the engine block and through the heater matrix. This allows the cabin heater to operate without the engine running. The pump also runs when the engine is running as long as the above conditions are met.The pump ensures good coolant flow through the matrix.
The pump does not aid engine cooling, its purpose is purely to serve the cabin heater.

#832 ·
Just yesterday my friend drove his 750 2007 89k uphill and got coolant pipe leak!!! Horrible leak it's pouring water like crazy!!! He had bmw coolant, so it doesn't matter which coolant- it affects any car after 70k miles. But I told him its good you have coolant pipe vs rear plate;)
95C tstat will help a lot

#843 ·
:rofl:
thats good news thanks for keeping us posted.
Between the SAS cleaning kit and this tstat idk which i should be more excited about ;)

#845 ·
Secondary air system ;) that aga kit is now available also

#847 · (Edited)
Ha ha;) you don't need anything to buy:
I just removed those egr valves, poured a lot of carb cleaner with wd40, waited overnight, then bought 5$ wired thing to clean pipes in the kitchen, sticked it in, twisted etc,
Final and testing stage is to blow it with compressed air, just any rubber hose will work as adapter.
Tada and I got air from muffler.
No errors all checks out;)
How much they won't for such a "high tec" equipment???
Don't believe in their "high tec" dissolvers etc;) this how they make money.

#846 ·
Hoping these next 500 orso dollars will be the leap of no more frequent leaks and issues after that it will be a total of 5k in things ive done myself :( recently did the alt bracket, replaced a linkage to the ride height sensor in the front, and inner tie rods and while i had it up i figured id give the seals around the headlamps another coat of silicone to be safe and outside cleaning :)

Attachments

#850 ·
I suppose i really just dont know at all. Guessing from that alt bracket its probably brittle.
That gasket was like plastic stuck inside the slot for it. had to heat it up and use a nice pick to get it out, then i had to clean it all up with a wire brush.
So my bet is my pipe that goes under the manifold to those valves are brittle also... Come to think of it the old Y pipe CCV hose cracked when i tried to remove them when i did my driver side VCG so i might as well just buy a new one lol

#858 ·
Jees i wish i get like 12 in my city. Ive just always thought crappy gas or the fact there is a stop sign or lights at every intersection.

#868 ·
Hey cmpcpro what mix were you using at 110c.Ive found 60 water 40 antifreeze is working great for me.Temps here have been down to single digits up to 70f and my engine temps have worked our well.Yep here in Ky we have wild climate changes sometimes day to day.I also took engine cover off after reading e46 guys do this a lot.Dosnt really bring coolant temps down but they say it lowered oil temps by 10 to 20.

#874 ·
i wasnt suggesting it would fix the leak, was just explaining what to do is all if he wanted to try it....

#875 ·
It wont matter to me either way. I think my insurance is going to total my car by the way the adjuster was talking to me about the car... and if they dont Im going to sell it because i definitely dont want one of these after an accident going 60mph and spinning. Nemo got me :tsk:

#877 · (Edited)
Icy road and a jeep wrangler tapping my rear because he sped up and then braked and slid.
If i ever did get another bmw id probably get a 6 cylinder version. This whole experience (1 year 2 month ownership) has made me view bmws in a much different perspective.
Bmws are like a hot girl who is stupid with a horrible personality. In my case i slept with her for a short period of time and had enough of her **** and its not worth the beauty so i want to move on... But damn she looks and performs well ;)

#878 ·
Well it's true, inline 6 really rocks and if you do simple maintenance they last forever.
I recommend e60 with 3.0 M54 but stay away from GDI models, they have tons if issues bc of intake valves are not being cleaned like in conventional engines.
But if N62 V8 is in good shape it runs soooo good!!!! It's flawless;)
Not compared to I6 even close, only N55 bi turbo is close to that torque.

#882 · (Edited)
I see people on the a8 forums saying their car is expensive and problematic because once in awhile they have to replace an air suspension component after 60k, and that their oil changes are too hard and they have to change a timing belt and water pump every 80k or so. If they only knew the true horror of owning a problem vehicle lol. And I haven't even had to deal with a coolant pipe or tranny issue. Just about every other issue though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.