BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Gran Coupe...are you thinking about it?...are you going to do it?

5K views 73 replies 28 participants last post by  Ace535i 
#1 ·
I'm posting this thread about the Gran Coupe here because, more than for 6 and 7 Series owners, I think this car would have a natural appeal to 5 Series drivers because of its size and performance aspects. I've been following the development of the Gran Coupe rather closely because I have always been attracted to so-called "executive performance sedans" and, particularly, those that perhaps offer significantly more than their average counterparts. I like the looks of the Gran Coupe and the performance figures...0 to 60 in the mid 4sec range...are down right stunning if true. I also like that, apparently, buyers will be able to order the car in a wide variety of exterior/interior choices. I can't say for certain that the GC will be next for me, but I'm very eager to see and try it out in person.

#2 · (Edited)
it has +45hp (445 hp) and +30 ftlb (480) tq than a 550. full LED headlight.

In Canada, each dealer will be allocated to just 1 - 2 GC at the beginning (sch. to arrive mid Sep). Given the price for Canada is still not known yet.

Just spoken to one of the dealer here. Whatever the price sets at, they will be asking for the full price.

#3 ·
It's just too much freaking money, IMO. I guess if you can afford it, you can afford it. But sheesh, when you can get a CLS 63 AMG for roughly the same price as a six cylinder 640i GC, well, that's just a bit damning, no?

#17 ·
A CLS 63 is a lot more if I have correctly read the anticipated prices of the Grand Coupe. I have a friend who has a CLS63 on order. They start at just over 100K. Most of them are around $110-$115.

As to the OP's question, I like the Grand Coupe, but it's simply more than I want to spend by about $20k or so.

#4 ·
The 4-door coupe styling has always appealed to me. I love the looks of all of them (Merc CLS, Audi A7, VW CC and now BMW 6 Gran Coupe). Now that BMW has an offering of this style it'll be the first car I drive when I'm in the market to change the 5.

#26 ·
Kind of love it and kind of hate it at the same time. Sexy in a way, but in another way it just looks like a 6 series on an hdtv stretch mode display.

#6 ·
I don't think I would do the 650GC since the M5 is a better car for the money. I would do either M5 or M6GC.

I will probably place an order for an M5 ED this week.

#14 ·
I will definitely be taking a look. I'm very interested.

#19 ·
Going off the pics, the interior for the 6GC seems positively delicious - more so than the A7 (never a fan of Audi interiors) and the CLS.

That said, it seems to be way overpriced for what I can afford now :)

#20 · (Edited)
Here's what Top Gear has to say about the GC...

This isn't quite a competitor to the Mercedes CLS. Just as well really, given how late it is to that particular party. Instead it's bigger and more expensive - into Panamera territory. This makes it subtly grander than the Benz. (Well it would be subtle if this particular one wasn't trimmed in the optional dazzling white and queasy brown. Other decors are available.)

This sheer size makes it cumbersome for threading down narrow streets. But in compensation, it's an immensely fine thing to behold. The proportions are flat, broad and low. And BMW's designers have made the most of it by folding the surfaces beautifully and adding tasteful, lush detail.

Like a shark, the Gran Coupe looks like it's made to swim fast and far. And that's how it feels too. It'll snake its way down a back-road with effortless authority, and then swallow immense motorway stretches without the slightest burp.

All the while you'll be sitting in an environment that's more lush than the typical BMW, and lower to the road. And while the people in the back seats won't be stretching out like they can in a 7-series, neither will they be contorted in bitterness.

Engine wise, you can have the 640i or 640d, both with turbo straight-sixes. The petrol makes 320bhp, has no apparent turbo lag and sings like a bird. But the diesel, at a similar 313bhp, is still well worth listening to, and drinks less fuel while it's at it. Both make great use of an eight-speed auto 'box.

This might be a big saloon, but careful use of materials keeps the weight in check. It has aluminium bonnet and doors, plastics for the front wings and bootlid, and lots of aluminium in the suspension structure. That all helps keep the performance suitably majestic. Both engines get to 60mph in about five seconds.

I drove cars with the optional active steering. It takes away too much steering feel. All of it in fact. So you won't get quite the sense of connection a Porsche Panamera gives you. But the agility and precision are there for the taking. Best of all is the way the suspension - on adaptive dampers and Dynamic Drive active anti-roll bars - keeps itself under control on typical bumpy surfaces. It corners and rides with a nonchalant fluency.

Last year I couldn't quite make sense of the regular two-door 640 coupe. It's not a sports car, yet it felt too big and cumbersome for a 2+2. But this Gran Coupe spin-off looks better and is just as good to drive. It feels special inside, and it shares that special feeling between four grown-ups instead of two. A grand and generous car.

So...is the Panamera BMW's real target with this car?

#21 ·
IMO BMW is targeting just putting out an incredibly sexy car.

#31 ·
No manual transmission in the Gran Coupe -- deal breaker for me.

#42 · (Edited)
"I can put 200k miles on a car in under 5 years". That will be a lot of depreciation dollars on an M5. But drivers count pleasure and costs by mile not years, right? And with that kind of miles I can only assume that your income is correlated to miles as well. I.e business travel, paid for one way or another.

#49 ·
The depreciation is bad no matter what I buy since I put so many miles on the car. I was really hoping to find a CPO M5 in 2014-2015 to help offset some of the depreciation I would take buying a new M5 and driving it 30-40k miles a year. If I cannot find a suitable CPO then I may just get a new one. My car is one my biggest pleasures and I consider it worth the cost of entry. I have had M3's in the past and loved them, but I spend too much time in the car to get beat up daily driving the M3 hence my eye toward the M5.

#43 ·
It's funny how people who elected to by a $50k +++ car instead of a $25,000 Honda Accord suddenly start talking about how much someone else is going to piss away buying a new car. We all spent way more than we needed to in order to get us from point A to point B.

It's all relative.

#51 ·
I did it as well. Ordered the 650i GC and will be trading in my F10 550i M Sport for it!

#61 ·
I'm also interested in the new GC but besides the high cost compared to competitors, it's 4" longer and 9" wider than our cars. Interesting point about resale percentage Stealth.Pilot mentioned earlier---my CA ran this senario: he says I should be able to sell the 550 at one year for 80% of US-MSRP. So if MSRP is $80K and ED price $70K, I can sell it for $64K, So ownership cost for one year would be $500 monthly---then I'd do another ED with CCA rebate. I live live in a "tax friendly" state that only requires tax payment on the difference between the sold car and new car. I'd have $70K tied up in a car all the time but if rollover gets old I'd just keep the new car for several years or wouldn't buy another after selling. We've always "bought and held" cars but it sure would be fun getting a new one every year.

#62 ·
It's a perverse effect of tax rates and ED pricing.

I reckon on the M5 you may be able to do this and not lose a thing, because the US deliveries are going for MSRP. ED is the only way to save.

#64 ·
I am considering the 650i GC for my next ED in a year and a half. However, I am still partial to the 550i as it provides more bang for my buck. I'm still undecided, it is too early to make up my mind now.

#65 ·
I love my '12 650xi Coupe. About the only real downside is the embarrassingly unusable back seat, which is why I've kept a second passenger-friendly car at the ready. Having everything I love about my 6 Coupe (the sporty seating position, the incredible interior, B&O sound, etc.), but also having the ability to carry a few passengers when the situation warrants, would be perfect. I will definitely be considering the GC. Bring it on, BMW.

#69 ·
what wheels are those on your coupe?

#66 · (Edited)
Re:

As a matter of principle, I only buy CPO BMW's. That said, I am set on switching to a Gran Coupe as soon as they start showing up in the CPO program. I love my F10 but miss the E63 that I traded in for the 5er. The is a special feeling when you get into those more limited production models. The 5 series is outstanding, but I don't get as excited when I walk towards it in the mornings on my way to work.

Now, the question will be if I go I6 or V8. My 535 is not too far off my 645 in terms of power and matches the 6er in 0-60 times, but the feeling of the V8 is completely different. These new Turbo I6 are not as refined as the old normally aspirated 6cyl engines, in fact, I think they sound like diesels at Idle.

We'll see, I hope the price of the GC drops enough as a CPO that will make the V8 proposition attractive enough. No matter what, I will trade my 5er for a version of the her Grand Coupe as soon as possible. I will make sure the dealer allows me to swap my Alpina wheels before the purchase though. Those are coming with me no matter what.

jo

#68 ·
Now, the question will be if I go I6 or V8. My 535 is not too far off my 645 in terms of power and matches the 6er in 0-60 times, but the feeling of the V8 is completely different. These new Turbo I6 are not as refined as the old normally aspirated 6cyl engines, in fact, I think they sound like diesels at Idle.
The new twin turbo V8 also sounds like a diesel at idle at least to me.

#67 ·
IMO, the 5er is a better looker than the 6 GC. It just looks too awkward and imbalanced at some angles. Though, I've always liked E-Classes over CLS's (what can I say, I love timeless 3-Box stately Sedans VS 4-Doors with low roofs and horrible functionality-space usage disguised with the marketing gimmick "Coupe" to justify it :D).

As for the 6 GC's price, let's just say BMW's profit margins on this car must be HUGE. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.