BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Run flat tires Ride

7K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Rubber Ducky 
#1 ·
Since we have no choice in not getting the run flat tires, would the ride be overall softer and smoother with the Luxury package versus the Sport package???

#2 ·
As I'm not aware of a luxury package I assume you're referring to trim levels when you say Luxury / Sport packages. If that's the case I believe the ride would be essentially the same between the two. The Sport trim level doesn't fundamentally change the suspension. The only suspension related difference I am aware of is the Sport trim level adds a "Sport +" option to the driver selectable suspension settings.

#4 ·
Is there any reliable information about whether the F30 will also come without a spare tire?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer

#5 ·
Any rumors that run flats have gotten better are just that. I have a late model loaner 328i (probably a 2010 or 2011) and while the ride is fairly compliant, get that thing up to highway speeds and all you can hear is the tires roaring (they are Conti RFT's that are standard on a stripped 328i, is my guess).

Of course it's possible the F30 will somehow improve how RFT's behave on the new models, and these Conti's may be some of the worst of the bunch.

#6 ·
I like runflats. My 335is has the Michelin PS2 ZP's and they ride fine and are not noisy. People who hate runflats seem to forget the many advantages. My '06 Z4 with the sport package rode harshly but BMW has adjusted the suspension on the 2011s. My Z4 rides fine.

#12 ·
I really don't have a problem with the RFs.... had them with my 545. It also had a spare for "just in case". It's the NO SPARE thing that I'm not comfortable with.

#14 ·
Someone posted a situation where not having a spare caused them a real problem. I said that while having a spare would have helped that person the trade off is the thousands that would never use a spare. Having a spare takes up space, adds weight, and adds cost. All that when the vast majority of people will never use it.

#16 ·
If you're driving around a major city and have problems with a RF... not a big deal. However,if you're going cross country ... and find yourself in Podunk, Idaho... and have a problem you may have a hard time finding a replacement. A spare could at least get you back to civilization.

#19 ·
If you're driving around a major city and have problems with a RF... not a big deal. However,if you're going cross country ... and find yourself in Podunk, Idaho... and have a problem you may have a hard time finding a replacement. A spare could at least get you back to civilization.
+1

In most cases it will be IMPOSSIBLE to find a replacement except in the largest cities, and you may be forced to obtain it at a ridiculous price from a BMW dealer.

I'd like decent RFTs AND space for a donut spare and a factory option to have the spare provided at purchase time.

#13 ·
Run-flats are just like normal tires in that some run-flats have stiffer sidewalls than others.

When you think a ride is harsh due to the tire it relates directly to sidewall stiffness. The problem with giving away stiffness is that you lose performance.

If BMW uses different tires on a Luxury versus a Sport model one of the tire criteria is sidewall stiffness the Luxury will have less stiffness than the Sport model.

Changing tires on a car can dramatically change the way you perceive the ride quality, obviously.

Side wall height also plays a role. The more sidewall the more "options" you have for stiffness. You can only unstiffen a small sidewall so much.

Trying to group run-flats together as one type with a specific set of characteristics isn't going to get you far. You can only say that on average they have stiffer sidewalls due to design. However you can get some pretty stiff non run-flat tires.

#21 ·
Due to the RFT issue my 335i will be my first and last BMW.

CA

#22 ·
I hope to make a deal when and if I buy another BMW to trade the run flat tires to the dealer for a set of five regular get flat tires of my choice. Hopefully, the dealer should be willing to do that to make the sale of the car since he can eventually make some more money as he sells the run flats for $400 each. I would be willing to give him some extra money on the front end also just to be able to have the tires I want on the car.

I will go in for my one year service in a few weeks and will probably ask the manager if that can be arranged before pickup of the new car. Just asking.

Hot Toddy

#23 ·
Take a look at the F10 board sticky nearing 1,000 posts about RoFT bubble issues. :thumbdwn:

#24 ·
Had a flat not too long ago when on a business trip to Montana. Bottom line - rental car, zero cell phone service (Verizon) and literally 75 miles from the nearest "city". The Nissan I was driving? No problem, put the donut on and made it to Miles City. Did I mention it was 5 degrees that morning with a foot of snow on the ground and I was the ONLY car I'd seen that morning on I-94 East? Spare = mandatory IMHO.

#25 ·
I think one if the things that an automobile offers is freedom and independence, freedom to get in the car, and go where ever you want. A spare tire provides some insurance that you can get your own ass out of trouble when needed. With a bad RFT in the middle of nowhere you're toast - you are no longer free or independent but plain stuck waiting for Assist, AAA or whatever to bail you and your $50K paperweight out of East BF. BMW has devolved the automobile by offering no reasonable alternative to RFTs. All they have to do is give me a spare tire well and I'll do the rest.

#26 ·
I'm in my third and fourth cars with run-flats (E89; C6 Grand Sport). Would note two things: there's a lot of blather about run-flats in BMW blogs ... and very little in Corvette blogs. I think the lament about ride quality with run-flats is more a meme loose in and largely confined to the BMW blogosphere than anything that has to do with actual performance. I bow to those sensitive souls (or butts) that can find a meaningful difference in street-driving conditions. YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.