BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Car wash

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  krash 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is I. Wrong forum but since I'm gonna be a 335i owner soon I thought I'd ask here.
I've read in other threads that people wash their cars themselves. I can understand doing it myself -vs- taking it to car wash shops. But what I don't get is doing it myself -vs- dealer doing it. I thought dealers wash our car whenever I bring it to them as service. If this is true then I can't believe dealer wash would be a bad thing to my car.

So, any thoughts or advice on this? Do you wash your own car -vs- taking it to the deal? If so, why? Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

#2 ·
Probably depends on the dealer and how they wash it. The dealer closest to me has one of those automated washes, which I worry about scratches in those. (Hence why I wash my own)

#7 ·
my dealer has a ghetto cloth machine like you'd see at a gas station. Im pretty sure all of them do, id be surprised if they had a touch-less setup. I rarely go to the dealer for work (out of warrenty) but when i do I am adament about not having a car wash done afterwards.

All this really boils down to how much you care about car washes, and how willing you are to do it yourself. i want to say 90% of bmw owners probably dont care as they are just buying for status. The other 10% being people who frequent this forum and take more interest in maintaining their ride.

#9 ·
Think this through....

Unlikely a dealer will have a touchless car wash; they couldn't put the convertibles through. Plus, I've never seen one which actually does anything more that get the top layer of dirt off, always they seem to leave a layer behind.

Non-touchless car washes... always a bad idea for the usual reasons.

If the dealer *does* do a hand car wash... Two problems... first, do you really think they'll use fresh clean high quality microfiber drying towels on every vehicle, or will they reuse the same drying towels over and over, carrying the grit from the previous car's rocker panels across your hood and roof? Second, will the person doing the washes be a skilled professional detailer who cares about the paint finish... or some minimum wage person who splits his time between sweeping the shop, acting as go-fer, and washing cars?

#11 ·
I've had my car long enough to need only a couple of washes so far, and I've stuck to touchless. They don't dry very well, so I spend a few minutes after the wash drying it myself gently with a clean microfiber.

I wonder how good a touchless do at cleaning after a long drive with bugs stuck in the front.

And when I take my care in for service, I'm definitely inquiring about their wash facilities before dropping the car off. I would assume that dealerships would be wise enough to handle these cars with care.

#13 ·
Most dealers have automated washes or have a deal going with the local gas station that has an automated wash. I know for a fact that a couple dealers here in MD have hired a 3rd party to wash their cars by hand.

#14 ·
I've gone through the gas station touchless when it was looking bad & I couldn't get to it myself. I am not willing to take it to the AutoBell (better than gas station - they vacuum, towel dry, etc.) because they drive it on & off the auto external wash & I don't trust them with the 6MT. I am still in leaf season here & do not have a garage. Hoping I won't feel the need to wash so often once the leaves are down.

#15 ·
Hand washing is only part of the concern. The towels used, chemicals used to clean wheels and brakes are important, too. After seeing swirls accumulate faster than I thought they should after frequenting a "high-end" hand car wash, and a true paint correction detail to rectify matters, I only take my cars to the master:

www.justwaxed.net

Worth every penny.

#16 ·
I was going through a similar dilemma when it came to washing my new 335i. I'm very very discerning when it comes to my car and spent a lot of time trying to find the most reliable but practically plausible option to wash my ride. I stay in the wintery north east ( Philly ) so I have to have to wash my car fairly regularly ( every fortnight ) to get rid of the salt and dried slush.

I did not even consider auto car washes , could not put my car through that torture of dirt and grime stuck in so called soft cloth. might as well take a piece of glass and draw circles on your car ! I did consider touch less car washes and I guess it's better then the soft cloth car washes but some one told me that since they need to get the dirt off the car merely by means of high pressure water spray and soap, they end up having to use almost corrosive level " detergent " which over time could damage the car's clear coat and paint finish. Plus they are grossly inadequate in dealing with bug and tar stains.

So the only option I was left with was to hand wash my car but since I stay in an apartment community no car washes permitted there either. After asking around on this forum I came across a coin operated car wash and I have to say , I am extremely happy with the results.

First and foremost, I only use these as a source of pressure water ...nothing more nothing less. NEVER use their brushes or soap or rags ! I use Meguiar's gold wash and wax , two bucket method with grit guards, microfiber mits to actually wash the car and a super absorbent microfiber cloth to dry off the car. In the interval between car washes get rid off bird poo and the like , I use Meguiar's quick detailer spray and occasionally spray on wax. I also use latex gloves while washing the car...these doing a relatively good job of keeping my paws warm and dry , and also avoid any inadvertent scratches from a well meaning wedding ring !

Again I plead guilty to being OCD and you take what you want from my post, but in my experience , go wash your car on your own ( health and physically ability permitting ) ...it's a lot of fun and the most reliable way to clean your ride !

#17 ·
If you live in the cold climes, Optimum No Rinse and the two-bucket method as previously mentioned is the way to go. It's cheap, fast, easy, safe for your paint, and can be done in a garage with two gallons of water. 30 minutes and you're done without freezing your ass off.

#18 ·
The auto car wash down the street is no more risky than washing your car in the driveway with potentially damaging t-shirts, towels, and sponges.

Plus, when it's 25 degrees outside, and you car is soiled with road salt and road filth, who exactly wants to go outside and wash their car in the driveway anyway?

Seriously, in the winter, you basically have to wash your car after every single snow incident, and who wants to go outside when the wind is howling at 30 MPH and it's only 30 degrees outside?

#19 · (Edited)
Just washed mine by hand in 34 degree weather and 20 mile an hour wind gust! They salted the roads yesterday and I can't stand salt on my car. :D Two buckets, sheep skin mitt and microfiber = no swirls :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.