BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Vacuum Connections to M52 Intake Boot

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  16valex 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Almost done with my e39 project after swapping in an M52 from a 328i but I am having difficulty figuring out the intake air boot. The car is a 1997 528i 5-speed with Nov 1996 production date so I went on RealOem and put in the VIN to ascertain the exact part. It showed part #13541740931 and the diagram looks right since the car does have ASC.

When the part arrives however it has two connections. One fits the hose to my ICV perfectly but the other is a gaping 2 inch diameter hole that I have no connection for. The RealOem diagram shows only one connector for the ICV so I thought the supplier sent the wrong part but the part number on the boot itself checks out.

This car doesn't have the exhaust flapper so there are only a few vacuum hoses. I have accounted for the fuel pressure regulator, SAP control, and fuel evap control which all attach to the bottom of the manifold just below the throttle body. The only other ones are the CCV and brake booster hoses.

Anyone have any idea what goes in the massive 2 inch connection?

#4 ·
When I bought the car the head and all the upper parts of the engine were in a series of boxes and I didn't get the original air cleaner. I do have the MAF tube and everything downstream from that. The part in question is shown in the link below. I will try and post some pictures. I usually have to go on Flicker and put them up there then link to them so it may take a while.

The boot is shown as #9 in this diagram on RealOEM http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DD63&mospid=47585&btnr=13_0409&hg=13&fg=15
As you can see the diagram shows only one connection, but the part number on the one with two connectors is exactly the same. I wonder if this part has two versions and I need to specify which one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.