BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Keeping Your 3 Series Origami Top in Tip Top Shape

743K views 564 replies 155 participants last post by  guaporas 
#1 · (Edited)
A special thanks to fun2drive for his huge contribution :thumbup::thumbup:

Okay folks, you asked for it, here it is. In response to everyone who has asked for a Sticky on how to maintain the seals and keep the moving parts of the convertible hardtop lubricated, fun2drive and I have put our heads together and assembled a DIY. Much of this is based on experience, but we have also tried to get as much input as possible from dealership service techs and the photo documentation included is the direct result of my E93 having just been in for a full dealership hardtop lubrication and adjustment.
We welcome contributions of tips and tricks picked up along the way. As always, comments and questions are great. The intent is to have a one-stop resource for people looking for information on keeping the folding hardtop well maintained and problem free.

Probably one of the greatest concerns of any E93 owner is how to keep their folding hardtop free of creaks, squeaks, wind noise and heaven forbid water leaks. If you own one, you are at least marginally aware that there are literally hundreds of parts in the form of seals, hinges, locks, hydraulics, and microswitches that must all work in perfect harmony to deliver the 22 seconds to nirvana top down experience. So, how to keep things running smoothly:

• Keep the rubber seals lubricated and moisturized.
• Secondly, but equally important is to keep the moving joints well lubricated and dust free.
• Listen to your top. For those who acquired their E93s new, think back to what the top sounded like when the car was brand new. If you acquired your car second hand, go to your local dealership and ask them if you can observe (that is listen) to the top of a brand new E93. It should be silky smooth with no squeaks, no jolts and no stickiness.
So, here are some tips and tricks to keeping your top in great shape.

Seal Lubrication:
There are two products routinely discussed when this topic comes up.

Gummi Pflege (which in German, literally translates to "Rubber Care") made by Einzett.

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-914806-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

Krytox - specifically the GPL205 Grease made by Dupont. This is expensive stuff, but well worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Krytox+gpl205

A couple of words about products to use on rubber seals: Silicon is a natural enemy of rubber. It makes rubber swell and fracture. Whether your tires or your door seals - do your car a favor, spend the few extra dollars to get good products.

Rubber Seal Lubrication:

The rubber seals on your top are very similar to your skin. They need moisture and protection or they will dry out and eventually crack. At the very least they will shrink with dehydration, or prematurely break down due to UV damage.

Gummi Pflege: The applicator is a little bulky. I found the on board applicator to be overkill for the narrow strips of rubber that make up the E93 lateral top seals (those rubber seals running from driver to passenger side).
As an alternative, I use "foam lollipops" available from either Autogeek or Detailed Image. I moisten the lollipop with the Gummi Pflege then run it along the length of the seal including the grooved area. I follow with a microfiber wrapped sponge to help spread the Gummi evenly and mop up any puddles.

Krytox:
This is best applied using your fingers and a little really does go along way. The best description I can use here is watch your wife or girlfriend the next time she applies lip balm or lip gloss. She will take a little tiny bit on the tip of her finger and smooth it all the way over her lips. Same thing applies here. It takes just a little bit to be smoothed the length of the seal.
You need to keep going over the area until you have a uniform thin coating over the entire seal area.
If you live in a cold area of the country and are trying to do this at temperatures below 60F, take a terry face cloth and get it wet with hot water. Wring it out then wrap it around the syringe applicator and let it sit for a few minutes. This will gently warm the Krytox and make it easier to apply. Alternatively, if it is in the tube, let it sit in a coffee mug of hot water for a few minutes to SOFTEN it.
DON'T stick it in the microwave. If you liquefy it, you may alter its properties.

So now that you know what to use and how to apply it, where does it go? For the seals that is pretty easy. If it's black and rubbery (soft and slightly squishy) and it's on either the front or rear edge of one of the top panels or it is between the front and rear passenger windows it is fair game. Pictures do a far better job of explaining it so here they are. Don't forget to use a little Krytox along the area where the side view mirrors mate with the A pillar.

A quick word about the tensioning cords. While these are not something that can be lubricated or treated per se, it is of value to inspect them for wear. It seems that around MY 2011, the cords were upgraded to a more robust version as earlier cars exhibited fraying of these cords. My 2009 had the cords replaced under warranty in August 2011.
This is what the frayed cords look like and the points where they are the most visible.

The replaced cords are not as silky looking and are holding up much better.

Now for the hinges, locks, pins and slides: fun2drive is going to explain about lubricants and application techniques. We had a fortuitous photo -op in that my E93's top had developed a nasty little squeak and a bit of a catch or sticky spot when being returned to closed from the stowed (top open) position. It went to the dealership for a full lubrication. The photos were taken the day after the service visit, so we have a pretty clear understanding of the lube points as specified by BMW.

See less See more
#454 ·
Gummi vs Krytox

After reading through all 19 pages of good posts (nice work OP and contributors)...I have a few questions. I've purchased a 2011 M several months ago and I'd like to start doing this maintenance. Not sure what the previous owner did or didn't do in terms of maintenance but I want to start.

So since the Gummi seems to absorb better than the Krytox...upon my VERY FIRST treatment, should I keep applying the Gummi until it stops absorbing, wait 24 hours and then apply the Krytox for a longer lasting treatment? I have both products in hand and is ready to start this today.

Is there additional benefit to layer on several coats of Gummi or one is good enough?
And is there any benefit to applying Gummi AND Krytox each time?

And what do you guys use for the Aluminum trim that the rear C-pillar rubber seals contact with on the trunk? I have quite a bit of haze and dullness over the aluminum trim around the window and would like to shine it up a bit and also like to protect it for the future.

Thanks guys.
Joey

#455 ·
I think it doesn't matter which product you use to condition your seals as long as it is applied frequently enough to keep seals supple. It is a matter of opening and testing the seals apply as needed.
The aluminum trim that I use is a metal polishing compound which also makes the aluminum stay gleaming for a good while. I would say any mild metal polishing compound would work.

#456 ·
Thanks for the sticky guys! I just purchased a 2009 e93 w/35k miles on it, very very low miles. And it was a steal. I'm fairly certain no maintenance has been done to the roof. Not sure if the dealer does this during routine service or not but I just ordered the oil and grease for this.

#458 ·
So, experts :) I did my maintenance today per your instructions, big help, thanks! I noticed something that appears odd to me that might actually be normal, the receiver cups in the trunk for the top are different. One has a metal piece in it and the other does not, see pics below...something to worry about?

Attachments

#465 ·
Sorry to change topics but I have searched and can't find an answer. Do any of you know a reputable extended warranty that will cover the motor, hinges, sensors, etc for the e93 hardtop? I have a 2013 335is convertible still under BMW orig warranty and am looking for options. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#467 ·
Thanks but the BMW extended warranty only adds 2 years coverage. I am looking at a much longer timeline. Many companies after 5 or 8 yr options with decent mileage allowances. Few seem to cover more than the motor and switches, though. I was hoping the extended e93 community might have some other ideas. Thanks again for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

#471 ·
Route 66 if they even cover the top would be the best company I know of. You are asking for something that no extended warranty company that is reputable will touch.
Good luck post what you decide to do.
They do cover the top. I checked it before signing up for it on my 08 model. I never had to use it for the top (tons of engine stuff though), but they did cover it a least when I signed up. Double check current status though.

#473 ·
I probably will end up with another Route 66 warranty. However, they only cover the motor and switches according to the offer I received. Still holding out for a better option but no longer expecting one to be found.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

#481 ·
Should I apply Kroil before lubricating with Wurth? My E93 is 7 years old, and I haven't maintained the top during the ownership....[emoji19] The top operates well... But it rattles (always has since day 1). And there is a brief squeaking sound before the top latches.

Thanks in advance

#483 ·
Hey.

Thanks for your input. I've already created a thread to ask about some products - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1145953

I am going to use Krytox for rubber parts and Wurth for metal joints. I will be doing it tomorrow, but I might push it back a bit because it is freezing in Toronto!

I see you're located in UK. Are those lubricants readily available there?

#484 ·
Went to a motorcycle shop to buy HHS K lubricant. But he only had HHS 2000. He was not familiar with HHS K, so he couldn't explain the difference between the two.

Is it okay to use HHS 2000 on E93 hardtop?