BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Windshield wipers sticking

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  BMWFatherFigure 
#1 ·
1991 325i. My windshield wipers are sticking when I have the intermittent wiper mode selected. The one that had a time delay and not constantly wiping. What would cause the wipers to stick. Like make half a wipe and I'd have to switch to full on mode to get them to move? Windshield motor sticking? Please help thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks downhiller, do you know where the wiper motor relay is located? How would I know if it's going bad. Secondly is replacing the motor a difficult job? I don't even know where it is. I'm fairly mechanical inclined, ive done a few head gasket/top end rebuilds on a number of different models including my e30.

#4 ·
Its a PITA. Look on your firewall you'll see a removable plate. Behind it is where your wiper motor is. There's three bolts that hold it on and one bolt for the linkage arm. I replaced the wiper motor on mine, also I replaced the arm that connects the motor to the linkage and the bushings. Its worked fine for 6 months now but I now have the same problems you do. It just started last week. On the first click up on the wiper switch it will go half way and stop. So if I push down on the switch for a quick wipe it'll do the same thing. But if I put it on level 2 or 3 on the switch they work fine. Im guessing relay or if we have resistors could be that... Im still lookin into this.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I have to take apart my steering column to get to my turn signal switch to clean the contacts. Im thinking about cleaning the wiper switch contacts too.. I'll keep you updated to see if it makes a change.

#7 ·
Could also be park mechanism as the motor is started by a pulse and then relies on the park circuit to complete the cycle. Test the park.

#11 ·
I have had this problem of the wipers starting to stick on intermittent. I think it is dirty tracks in the motor. The connection is made on a circular metal disc with a gap in it and grease + dirt can break the connection. I just put my wipers of full speed for a few minutes and it cleared it. I guess it is still lurking around the corner to cause me trouble again one day, just like my occasional sticky door lock :/

#12 ·
+1 tim96

#14 ·
The track cleaned it's self - just like tim96 said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.