BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M3 or 335i?

144K views 77 replies 39 participants last post by  M3Inline6 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a 335i, always been fascinated by them and I love the look andd everything. I'm planning on buying used possiblyy 2010 or older and have set my budget to that price point. Only problem I have a pretty strict criteria that's hard to find pre-owned. Blue, 6MT, cold weather and NAV. My colour is always a bit flexible if I meet the rest. It's going to be my summer vehicle. But everytime I'm on kijiji or any other site I keep going to the letter M. I just want to know what things I should think about between a M3 and a 335i. I know maintence costs will be higher and insurance will be about a thousand more a year, which I'm not really worried about. I do have a hoist in my garage so I can do my own oil changes and minor stuff, but I'm in no way experienced with imports.

With the M3 my budget would only allow 2008 and with a 335i till about 2010 so I'm just wondering what you guys think.

#4 ·
I have both, right now. Both E90.

2008 335i. Jet Black, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Comfort Access.

2011 M3. Alpine White, Fox Red, Competition, DCT, Premium, Convenience.

For most driving/commuting/traveling, the 335i is FAR superior. More comfortable, more accessible speed, way better fuel economy, quieter, less expensive.

For driving at the limit, it isn't even close. One is a "regular car"; the other is a sports/race car with a license plate.

The M3 is noisy, rough, jerky, guzzles gas, is harsh in every way - driveline, suspension, noise. Plus, the M3 has to be revved to be even CLOSE to the acceleration available from cruise in a 335i.

At full effort, the M3 would not just beat, but humiliate the 335i. But that's really only available on a track. On the street, absent stupid, license revoking antics, the 335i is better.

I LOVE my M3, and would never consider trading it for my wife's 335i. But her car is a GREAT car. Great road feel through the wheel, great performance, great economy, good comfort. I'm just willing to tolerate all the compromises required, to get what the M3 offers. That V8 sound is incredible. The only cars that sound as incredible are 2x+ the price and only one has a V8 (Ferrari F430). The acceleration is excellent, the handling is excellent as well. The ride is fine, and I love that the car is so configurable (Throttle, Steering, Suspension, Transmission, DTC).

I thought I'd be overwhelmed with the differences from day 1. Not really so. It has grown on me over time. I think that's the mark of an enduring love of the differences. In fact, my wife asks more and more to drive it, vs her 335i. It's a fantastic car, IF you can accept that it's a gas guzzling pig, noisy, not as comfortable or smooth, and way more expensive.

After putting about 4k miles on the M3, I have to strongly advocate for the DCT, irrespective of your ability to drive a stick. I'm quite capable and willing to drive one, but this M3 engine is so willing, and so requiring, to rev, that you'll literally NEVER have your hand off the shifter or your left foot relaxed on the dead pedal unless it's a deserted road. I pop it down to 4th, then back up to 5, 6, 7 ... back down 6, 5, 4, 3 ... zip along until I cross my 80mph warning chime, then back up 4, 5, 6, 7 ... down to 5 and around a couple slowpokes. Back up 6, 7 ... throughout my 25min commute. What a PAIN that would be with a stick. Bottom line is, before long it just wouldn't happen and I'd putz along not getting all that fun in. Yuk. Bring on the flappy paddles and grins!

#16 ·
For driving at the limit, it isn't even close. One is a "regular car"; the other is a sports/race car with a license plate.

The M3 is noisy, rough, jerky, guzzles gas, is harsh in every way - driveline, suspension, noise. Plus, the M3 has to be revved to be even CLOSE to the acceleration available from cruise in a 335i.

At full effort, the M3 would not just beat, but humiliate the 335i. But that's really only available on a track. On the street, absent stupid, license revoking antics, the 335i is better.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

My M3 rides like a limo compared to my Z4M. The E9x M3 is the most refined M I've ever driven, and I use it as my daily commuter (6MT no less!).

Borrowing your analogy, even a Hyundai Genesis can easily keep up with the 335i or the M3 on the street. After all, doing a 0-60 drag drag race from one stop light to the next would easily qualify as "stupid, license revoking antics".

#6 · (Edited)
I owned an E93 335i 6MT with every option and I currently have a E92 M3 DCT ZCP.

I always thought my 335i was perhaps the perfect vert ***8211; solid structure ***8211; entertaining handling and enough speed and driver involvement to keep things interesting. A feeling of sensual connectivity could be felt at lower speeds and was accentuated by the fact the car was a vert. I used the car as a daily driver and I found even routine runs could engender a feeling of adventure and excitement ***8211; and I could bring along my German shepherd and/or friends. I always thought the excellent 6MT, in tandem with the sports tuned suspension, was the critical element that made the car playful and awakened the sports car DNA in an otherwise very heavy car. I regretted the optional electric steering which endowed my 335i with cat like agility at low speeds but never properly communicated what the front tires were doing at higher speeds ***8211; frequent small midcourse corrections at higher speeds were inevitable. I never found the car very economical,but I was guilty of frequently thrashing it. I have mixed emotions about driving a vert, but overall, I have very fond memories of my 335i.

My M3 is a sublime driving experience. I find it makes a great daily driver. Indeed, the suspension is more compliant than my 335i with runflats. Handling is sharper, steering is more communicative. Of course more horse power, less weight and a roof overhead makes for more solid secure handling. As nice as the engine note is in the 335i, the sound of the M3 is just other worldly. I find myself looking for opportunities to exercise the car just to hear its music. I rarely listen to the stereo. The M3 exterior styling modifications serve to sharpen the pleasing E90 design to suggest both speed and impart a bad ass attitude to the car that the 335i lacks. The interior M3 tweaks reinforce the special nature of the car. I equivocate at times about not purchasing the 6MT but when I hit an all too frequent DC Metro epic traffic jam, I am very pleased to be driving my DCT equipped M3. Overall, the M3 provides an exceptional driving experience and compares favorably to sports cars that cost considerably more.

The 335i is a wonderful car ***8211; the M3 is great. If you purchase a 335i you will no doubt enjoy it, eventually trade it, and its memory will fade. If you get the M3, 20 years from now, you will still be telling your son about your M3 ***8211; or perhaps you might let him drive yours. The M3 is a keeper. :)

#10 ·
I owned an E93 335i 6MT with every option and I currently have a E92 M3 DCT ZCP.

I always thought my 335i was perhaps the perfect vert - solid structure - entertaining handling and enough speed and driver involvement to keep things interesting. A feeling of sensual connectivity could be felt at lower speeds and was accentuated by the fact the car was a vert. I used the car as a daily driver and I found even routine runs could engender a feeling of adventure and excitement - and I could bring along my German shepherd and/or friends. I always thought the excellent 6MT, in tandem with the sports tuned suspension, was the critical element that made the car playful and awakened the sports car DNA in an otherwise very heavy car. I regretted the optional electric steering which endowed my 335i with cat like agility at low speeds but never properly communicated what the front tires were doing at higher speeds - frequent small midcourse corrections at higher speeds were inevitable. I never found the car very economical,but I was guilty of frequently thrashing it. I have mixed emotions about driving a vert, but overall, I have very fond memories of my 335i.

My M3 is a sublime driving experience. I find it makes a great daily driver. Indeed, the suspension is more compliant than my 335i with runflats. Handling is sharper, steering is more communicative. Of course more horse power, less weight and a roof overhead makes for more solid secure handling. As nice as the engine note is in the 335i, the sound of the M3 is just other worldly. I find myself looking for opportunities to exercise the car just to hear its music. I rarely listen to the stereo. The M3 exterior styling modifications serve to sharpen the pleasing E90 design to suggest both speed and impart a bad ass attitude to the car that the 335i lacks. The interior M3 tweaks reinforce the special nature of the car. I equivocate at times about not purchasing the 6MT but when I hit an all too frequent DC Metro epic traffic jam, I am very pleased to be driving my DCT equipped M3. Overall, the M3 provides an exceptional driving experience and compares favorably to sports cars that cost considerably more.

The 335i is a wonderful car - the M3 is great. If you purchase a 335i you will no doubt enjoy it, eventually trade it, and its memory will fade. If you get the M3, 20 years from now, you will still be telling your son about your M3 - or perhaps you might let him drive yours. The M3 is a keeper. :)
you missed your calling, should have been a writer for Car and Driver.

may 25th...... days are dragging for real now.

#8 ·
M3 was and remains my choice.
Curious whether the 335 HPFP & fuel injector problems have resolved.

#9 ·
Currently have an M3 and previously owned a 335. Both are great but I'm sticking with the M3. This is reaffirmed as the M3 is at the dealer for a couple days and they gave me a 335 loaner. I was spoiled by the M3. The throttle response, chassis, and looks of it are phenomenal.

#11 · (Edited)
The 335i is an easy car to love. If you are the type that just want a fast and fun car to drive around in while thinking about work, family,hobbies or listening to music it's probably all you need. However if you are the type that connects to the car, feel it, listen to it and treasure the feeling of becoming one with it the M3 has infinitely more to offer. It has that direct mechanical feel that most modern cars is lacking, it has an incredible engine that is supremely linear, predictable, responsive with a huge range and a beautiful voice. It has an LSD that generates ridiculous grip that imo rivals awd in all but snow and ice and a suspension with more dynamic depth and capability. I have 18k miles on mine after a little over a year, it's my daily and I can honestly say that I have never wished it was a 335i or any other BMW currently on sale for that matter.

#13 ·
well said solstice, and in that short weekend i spent driving the M3 in it's natural environs, i can attest to that feeling of connection. i felt i knew exactly what was happening at all four corners of the car and with the engine/drivetrain. it was a remarkable experience. and i was hooked. we have duked it out many times on the F10 board re: M3 vs 550i (i still think that it's unfair to compare the two, different missions, different goals, etc) but i am bought in hook line and sinker.

and i'm still on mile 0.

#15 ·
I have driven a 335 loaner, as well as the 135 with the M package ( not an M1), and they were both very nice cars. I was particularly impressed with the 135 but after driving a M3 competition package for a year I really notice the important differences. The M3 simply allows for a level of control that the other BMWs don't have. I am a decent driver, but certainly not the Stig, yet I can drive the M3 right to the edge, with all four wheels slightly slipping, using power to carefully bring the rear out in a easily controlled oversteer. In the M equipped 135 it is much harder to control the power because the turbo lag means that there is a slight delay between pedal movement and power to the wheels. For the same reason it is also harder to control wheel spin in the 135/335, whereas the M3 has virtually instant throttle response. The handling on the M3 is also noticeably crisper (even compared to the 135 M package). There is just a bit more takeup in the suspension and chassis on the 335. I would say the 335 compares well to my Audi A6 turbo with sport suspension (and chip), they are sporty but not sports cars whereas the M3 is a true 4 seat sports car.

#17 ·
I would agree with all that has been said here, the more you push your car to it's limits (track, etc) the more you want an M3. The only reasons to go with a 335 if $ are out of the equation (they were not for me) is if you do much city type commuting. The Tq. on the M3 is not as usable down low, or even as much in that situation. N4S

#18 ·
i keep on reading about the low end torque in this car as being inadequate but is that actually true? i've seen enough videos of stock m3s pulling really hard in the low portion of the rpm curve. anyone want to comment? i certainly didnt feel it when i drove the m3 for a few days at the perf center

#20 ·
Although it's torque figure is "low" compared to some to other cars, it is flat and wide and available across the power band. Requiring some minor extra work to make full use of the power (aided by the sky high rev limit), what it gives up as a drag strip car it gives back with an engine that wants to run all the time, anywhere.

#28 ·
I see alot of people are talking about the coupe vs coupe. I wonder how people's experiences are with the m3 vert? I would imagine the extra 400lbs cuts out quite a bit of the nimbleness. Reason i'm asking is because I'm considering a 640i vs m3 vert (its a price vs price issue rather than performance) and I'm curious how much the m3 vert takes the edge off the coupe m3.

#29 ·
Drive the coupe with two or three friends in it - that is the power loss. Obviously, when the roof is removed from a cars structure, the character will change, however it is found more at the extremes. The vert has a better F/R weight bias than the coupe, but no doubt the changes to make the car tight with the roof off has a penalty. For me, that penalty is off-set by the experience of a hard topped convertible and one which I will rarely take advantage of.

#45 ·
If you get the 335i, you'll probably wonder (wish) what it would be like to have the M3.

If you get the M3, you'll never wish you had the 335i instead.

Above 6000rpm, the S65 makes the hairs on my arm stand up, every time. It's kinda freaky.
THE truth and definitive answer.

#36 ·
Wow! Look at all these replies! Haha very nice write ups by some people :D some of you should definitely be a writer for a car mag! So this might be the time to say, thank you for all the replies and wisdom and you guys definitely helped a bit with some of your information and experiences.

I did it and bought a 2008 M3 :D the ad was on this site, "lemurofdoom"s post. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613327&highlight=

My step dad made the trip down to Chicago to pick it up and is currently in Montana visiting with some of our friends showing off my new car! It was a very smooth deal and my step dad is very impressed with the car. And I'm counting the seconds before it arrives in Canada. I'm driving down to Vancouver today hopefully to meet up with him and take my baby the last leg of the 3000mi journey. I'll post pictures when it arrives :)

Oh and sorry for no hyperlink, I'm on a phone writing this so a little finicky.

#37 ·
Wow! Look at all these replies! Haha very nice write ups by some people :D some of you should definitely be a writer for a car mag! So this might be the time to say, thank you for all the replies and wisdom and you guys definitely helped a bit with some of your information and experiences.

I did it and bought a 2008 M3 :D the ad was on this site, "lemurofdoom"s post. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613327&highlight=

My step dad made the trip down to Chicago to pick it up and is currently in Montana visiting with some of our friends showing off my new car! It was a very smooth deal and my step dad is very impressed with the car. And I'm counting the seconds before it arrives in Canada. I'm driving down to Vancouver today hopefully to meet up with him and take my baby the last leg of the 3000mi journey. I'll post pictures when it arrives :)

Oh and sorry for no hyperlink, I'm on a phone writing this so a little finicky.

#41 ·
M all the way

OK know this is from nearly a year ago, but I really hope you got the M in the end, 335i certainly competes with the older e46, but the e92 (thats the one to get btw) is in a different league and both straight line performance and cornering are way, way better - whats really good about the car is - pop it in Drive and its a very comfortable cruiser, hit the M button and you've got a race car - defo get the DCT:)

#49 ·
You made the right choice. I would also take possible exception to your original post where you said that the maintenance costs would be higher. You are correct that the oil changes will cost more due to the oil we use, and the tires are a little more for the most part, but the E9X M3 has shown itself to be a very reliable car without any out-of-the-ordinary maintenance needs. My 2008 E90 has a lot of miles on it and, with the normal oil change interval of 12-15K miles, it's been completely trouble free. I know you'll love the car, and I hope yours proves to be as trouble-free as mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.