BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

AC fuse keeps popping

30K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Warren1650 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

I am having a problem with my 2003 X5 (E53) AC system
The fuse keeps poping whenever I replace it. I have changed 4 fuse over the pase month. BMW did a diag. and did not see an issue with the IHKA but did mention shorts inpanel. The fuse that keeps popping is 48 (in the glove compartment)

Anyome know what my issue could be?

#3 ·
A/C Fuse 48

That fuse is a 7.5 A fuse I believe. If I recall, I believe that one powers the A/C compressor clutch. I don't like to diagnose over the internet/phone but I have a feeling that your compressor clutch is failing. Couple things I would do (some not proper by the book) but if you were to unplug the A/C compressor clutch connector, BLACK with GREY tracer stripe. Put a new fuse in and power up the Control Module and set to A/C. If the fuse does not blow, you're probably into a compressor clutch.....

If it is intermittent, it could be the clutch shorting-to-ground or an exposed wire between the controller and compressor clutch. I've attached a Wiring Diagram.

I hope this helps!!! Good-Luck....

Attachments

#4 ·
Sounds to me like your compressor clutch is fine. check the pressure switch at the dryer cannister. The clutch is in series with the pressure switch. If the pressure switch senses enough freon pressure,it engages the clutch. The clutch is driven by the belt and is a coil winding which magnetizes and runs the compressor. If there is a short in the clutch, there will be no cooling,Period. If there is a short with the pressure switch the switch is grounding to the chasis negative shorting out the fuse. Bypass the switch with a jumper wire then work the compressor a couple of times .If the fuse holds, then the switch needs to be replaced. If this does'nt work, there is a high resistance short in the A/C system. Check to see if the compressor is not getting stuck with the engine and A/C on. You should hear a loud squeaking noise if the belt is slipping. If it is, have a tech reclaim some of the freon and charge a cannister of oil and freon gas. Hopefully this should lubricate the compressor .Dont try to charge the system yourself. Have a tech check the pressure in the system. Good luck.

#5 ·
Thanks for your comments.
I did have the battery changed about 3 weeks ago by the dealer. What a hit! The AC fuse started popping round about that time. I will approach these 3 suggestions one at a time to see if it helps. The issue is intermittent so very hard to predict. at times it will go for a week and at other times it would go for a day or will pop right away. It sounds like some sort of shorts and I am a bit nervous about messing with this beast. I am mechanically inclined but not having a good handle of the advanced computer in these vehicles is causing me to be cautious.

#6 ·
Not sure if this is the case for your problem but:
I remember reading (either here or on xoutpost) that the little fan that draws air to the cabin sensor can pop a fuse when it get dirty. You might want to try a search to see if you can find the relevant post on either board. All it took was a quick blow out using canned air to cure the problem.

#10 ·
Hello guys... I just can not believe that I did not respond to what corrected my problem. Not good.
Well I did resolve the problem. I removed the module and cleaned out the fan as was suggested by @Zulu95. You should see the stuff that was clogging the fan!
I have not had a problem since.

#12 ·
faulty RPM signal

please my toyota highlander v6 2008 4wd,is having a particular problem. there's an oil holes that I have changed twice. this oil holes boost twice now,
when I used a diagnosis machine its shows me :12; faulty RPM signal (no RPM,NE and crankshaft position signal transmitted to ECU after started for 2 second)
1.ckp and cmp
2.distribution fault
3.start circuit open or short
4.module fault
please I need a technical support.
Thanks

#15 ·
I took out the AC control panel. I cleaned out the clogged temp. sensor. (I think that what it was called.) Be careful not to damage the sensor. Note also I went to the dealer and got dealer fuse. One or both of this action cured the problem. It have not had an issue since 2011....

#16 ·
@jsatbimmerfest I am having the same issue as we speak with my 2004 x5, fuse #48 7.5 amp keep blowing every time I turn the ac the whole climate control is dead(no power) as result of fuse #48. So as suggested, you remove the control panel and clean out the little fan. Is that correct? I see mine has lot of dust... I just want to make sure that is what referred to ( that fixed your issue). If I am missing anything please let me know.

Thanks,
John

#17 ·
I know this post is old but I had a similar problem with my X5 E53. Think this will help others in the future. I checked all the common things as mentioned by other members. Mine turned out to be the compressor clutch wire. Seems to be a common fault that the insulation around the wire from the clutch to the socket falls away and the bare wires touch the compressor which is earthed. Possibly caused from heat over all the years. Pop goes the fuse each time. Hope this helps someone else.