BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Opinions on Lowering Springs

7K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  G-Moussa 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am interested in ordering some lowering springs for my 2002 540i for the spring time. I have 19" Alpina style wheels and am looking for a slight drop mainly for aesthetic purposes. From what I know my car has factory sport suspension which is i why i need certain springs.

Since my car is the 2002 540i sport I need springs accordingly and have found this spring based on research. Both different sites and different prices:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3700-e39-540is-hr-sport-spring-set.aspx
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=H%26R&model=Sport+Spring+Set&group=Sport+Spring+Set&partNum=50464&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=540iA+Sedan+Sprt+Pkg&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=

Has anyone installed these or know much about springs and would like to give me your smart opinion on fitment and driving quality.

Currently running 17'' style 66's and waiting for spring to go back to my 19''.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Im running the H&R sport springs with Billy Sport struts on my 528i with 17" wheels. No rubbing in my case but I'm not sure about yours. In your case it will only lower your suspension from sport .25 of an inch i believe, i could be wrong. Overall I love the setup though.

#5 ·
I also been trying to figure out what to go with. Do you have a pic of your car, and which H&R sport you are running 1 of 2? Also never heard of billy struts, how's the ride? Sorry for so many question.

#3 ·
Yeah, I am highly considering these, just need to be sure they will work with my car and type of suspension i currently have.

#6 ·
if you want to go lower look at the eibach sport springs :thumbup:

#9 ·
If you're looking for a more even drop, I would recommend Vogtlands (from personal experience). These lower a nonsport e39 about an inch all around.

#12 ·
I am throwing my $0.02 now since both Vogtlands and G-Moussa’s current sport springs got mentioned…. Not sure if it makes a difference with the 540’s sport suspension, but from personal experience, my non-sport 525 who was lowered on Vogtlands seemed to sit higher than my stock 530 sport (the 530 is currently sitting on the style 65s…)

Bottom line, if both sport 530 & 540 sit at the same height, then the Vogtlands won’t lower to your satisfaction IMO

G-Moussa - Not to question your intelligence :rofl:, but are you sure she sits on OEM sport springs? :thumbup:

#13 · (Edited)
B&G Springs would lower sport suspension 1.25" all around, or 1.6"F/1"R for non-sport on I6 E39. They only show non-sport 540i in their application so I'm not sure about sport 540i.

#14 ·
Hey everyone,

I need some help before I order my springs. I have a few questions, i have my summer set of wheels, displayed in this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623732. I want a bit of a drop. I curently have a 2002 BMW 540i with stock sport suspension. I am interested in the H&R springs #50464 for my car. Will this lower the sport suspension more then it already is. Furthermore, in your experience bimmerfest, will i be able to fit my summer 19'' wheels. They are Alpina style wheels are 19/8.5 and 19/9.5. They are on 235/35/R19 and 265/30/R19 BF Goodrich KDw's.

Basically I want to know if these springs above (H&R #50464) will:
-Lower my sport suspension how much and fit with my summer wheels
-Will my fenders need to be rolled if i get these springs

Lastly, whats the difference between H&R sport or race springs.

Thanks for everyones help,

-G

#16 · (Edited)
OP, just saw this. I never really hop over here too often - bimmerforums is where I'm at 99.9% of the time (hope that gives you a piece of mind since I only have like 15 posts here on bfest). But anyways, I have your exact car except an '01. I currently am sitting on the stock sport suspension that it came with and the H&R Sport lowering springs. You posted the correct link from what I saw. And they give the car a nice drop. No wheel gap in the front and maybe like .25" in the back.

The car is more responsive, tighter, and the ride is little rougher but nothing unbearable by any means - perfect setup for a DD and some fun with spirited driving.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: wait a second... Do you have the sport or non sport 5er

#23 ·
OP, just saw this. I never really hop over here too often - bimmerforums is where I'm at 99.9% of the time (hope that gives you a piece of mind since I only have like 15 posts here on bfest). But anyways, I have your exact car except an '01. I currently am sitting on the stock sport suspension that it came with and the H&R Sport lowering springs. You posted the correct link from what I saw. And they give the car a nice drop. No wheel gap in the front and maybe like .25" in the back.

The car is more responsive, tighter, and the ride is little rougher but nothing unbearable by any means - perfect setup for a DD and some fun with spirited driving.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: wait a second... Do you have the sport or non sport 5er
I have a 2002 BMW 540i sport, not m-sport but sport. Therefore I have the stock sport suspension. Otherwise, amazing, that's what I wanted to know. Just wanted to talk to someone who has sport suspension and got these same springs. So that is the one you ordered the 50464? And were they black or blue in colour?

That looks like OEM sport hight after your suspension upgrade. looks like mine. i want something thats a little lower than that. someone please help me.
You probably want the springs I'm getting since we both have stock sport suspension.

Your biggest decision should be looks versus handling.
A bit of both

My son who is a parts guy said the H&R sport springs for the 540 would lower the car .7" in the front. That is a nice 'good' drop...not stupid radical but enough to visually see it. I've had em for a week and as of yet not installed them, I am gonna put on some new Rotors and get my wheels powdercoated. But, in the meantime next weekend I am headed to NJ to purchase an 07 Z4mC always wanted one:thumbup:
Sounds good. I just want to make sure I'm ordering the correct springs for my sport model. For someone with non sport it's more of a drop but since I have a stock drop I won't be dropping as much.

#19 ·
Thank for reply Kings5. I got some used h&r sport spring at a good deal. Just for test I decided to put the springs on my nonsports struts, and they ride really will, so I am going to leave them tell they go. As for the rear one of my shock is shot, just waiting on my ball sport from bavauto.

Attachments

#24 ·
that gave it a nice drop up front, how does it ride?

#22 ·
I guess

My son who is a parts guy said the H&R sport springs for the 540 would lower the car .7" in the front. That is a nice 'good' drop...not stupid radical but enough to visually see it. I've had em for a week and as of yet not installed them, I am gonna put on some new Rotors and get my wheels powdercoated. But, in the meantime next weekend I am headed to NJ to purchase an 07 Z4mC always wanted one:thumbup:

#29 ·
Ok guys, so I am in a bit of a dilemma and want some opinions here.

I went ahead and bought the H&R lowering springs for my 2002 BMW 540i. I have the sport suspension so my car is lower than a regular 540i. I dropped my car off to get the springs installed and to my fear there was some issues. After taking the first wheel off this is what my service manager at BMW said "top strut bearing is shot and the strut itself is seized so they need to be replaced, another $450 in parts and that***8217;s only one wheel so far." Since it is a family member i get cost price on the parts but am not sure what to do.

That is only one wheel, so if he changes the one side, i have to do both fronts. I was thinking to get them from a supplier which can be here the next day, and get the sachs front and back brand new. I mean since they labor is happening now, i dont want to risk it and have the old shocks/struts blow soon. How would the car ride with H&R springs and Sachs sport shocks?

Would it be worth it to change all of them, or what do you guys suggest. It is probably time they be changed anyways. Kinda don't want to go coil overs and can't really wait too long because the car is at BMW on the hoist. I mean I would like to leave it as OEM as possible, just with a bit of a drop, hence the springs purchase.

Let me know what you guys think.

#30 ·
If the strut bearing support was seized, I would inspect the strut towers for mushrooming.
You will have to consider this: If the strut tower exhibits damage with non-sport setup, get reinforcement plate kits for the front struts, and don't lower the car aggressive. What I mean by that, is there are setups with less aggressive spring rates, and less aggressive sport strut dampening like the Vogtland & Koni sport combo.
A more aggressive sport setup might damage badly the strut towers considering the mentioned damage with non-sport setup.
Aggressive sport setup in my opinion is high spring rates, with short sport springs and harsh struts due to tight damper valving.

#31 ·
If the strut bearing support was seized, I would inspect the strut towers for mushrooming.
You will have to consider this: If the strut tower exhibits damage with non-sport setup, get reinforcement plate kits for the front struts, and don't lower the car aggressive. What I mean by that, is there are setups with less aggressive spring rates, and less aggressive sport strut dampening like the Vogtland & Koni sport combo.
A more aggressive sport setup might damage badly the strut towers considering the mentioned damage with non-sport setup.
Aggressive sport setup in my opinion is high spring rates, with short sport springs and harsh struts due to tight damper valving.

Thanks man,

My car has factory M sport suspension so my car already has the BMW oem sport shocks/struts whatever brand they may be. What I'm saying is, since they are doing the labor to get the springs on, I might as well change all the shocks/struts.

What I'm thinking is that, do you think it will be ok to put the H&R lowering sport lowering springs with stock SPORT suspension. These springs are designed for the 540i sport and will only drop the vehicle -0.76 in the front and -0.6 in the rear.

So overall it's not an aggressive drop,
But just trying to figure out what to do.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#32 ·
The only spring only mod that i have heard of that doesnt look like stock sport is b&g.

All others tell you how much the drop is but be aware they are comparing to non sport as the starting height.

Just get bc racing coilovers and gitterdone. I can go from stock height pretty much done to laying frame.

#33 ·
The only spring only mod that i have heard of that doesnt look like stock sport is b&g.

All others tell you how much the drop is but be aware they are comparing to non sport as the starting height.

Just get bc racing coilovers and gitterdone. I can go from stock height pretty much done to laying frame.
That doesn't really help me lol. The H&R 50464 is for the sport 540i, it drops the sport suspension a bit lower. H&R has a 50464-88 which is for the non sport and it will drop it all the way to the same level; but a greater overall drop for the non sport 540i.

My dilemma is that I have purchased these springs and my oem struts/shocks look like they need replacing anyways. Would the springs I have work with sport stock oem struts/shocks.
Don't really have time or money to get anything else right now. I know they will wear out faster but they should be a good ride and last for a while brand new right? Or am I taking a risk with even brand new shocks/struts?

#34 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, just picked up my car today from BMW and I'm very happy. Dropped my 2002 540i on H&R springs and can't believe I didn't do it sooner. I had the two front shocks and shock bearings replaced with oem BMW replacement parts. Car drives and looks amazing, been receiving compliments all day. The rears were apparently good and should last.

So far I'm happy and don't notice a big difference in ride quality.

Here are some pictures of the drop.

-Gabriel

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Executive car Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Executive car Luxury vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle

Attachments

#35 ·
Hey everyone, just picked up my car today from BMW and I'm very happy. Dropped my 2002 540i on H&R springs and can't believe I didn't do it sooner. I had the two front shocks and shock bearings replaced with oem BMW replacement parts. Car drives and looks amazing, been receiving compliments all day. The rears were apparently good and should last.

So far I'm happy and don't notice a big difference in ride quality.

Here are some pictures of the drop.

-Gabriel

View attachment 379226 View attachment 379227 View attachment 379228 View attachment 379229

Looks great, dude! Awesome fitment

#37 · (Edited)
Looks good. I put the same H&R springs on my 540 sport about 6 years ago. The front drop was 1.5" not the .75 they advertised, however I like the look. The rear only dropped about 1/2 of what they said it would.

#39 ·
You still have them on the vehicle, or changed to a different set-up? So far I love the look, the drop, and the handling hasn't changed, if anything it improved. Im quite pleased. I also did have my two front struts replaced and the bearings so those are brand new. Exactly what i was looking for. Nothing aggressive just a subtle drop.

Its not all about looks my man, tell me it doesnt handle like its on rails now haha

Handles a bit better and ride quality was not compromised at all. If anything its probably about 1% bumpier, but the roads here also do suck so its not too bad.

#40 ·
Yes, the H&R's are still on the car. They are slightly stiffer than the stock sport springs and the handling is improved.
I put Koni FSD's one all 4 corners at the same time.

#48 ·
My mistake of not getting shocks with the springs so I could have them all changed at the same time. My service guy which is my cousin at BMW said my rears were good and got the brand new oem stock ones on the front. Can't complain and really happy with the look so I'm satisfied for now.

#41 ·
I have a question for the Assembly while we're on the subject of Struts & Springs --

I have the original suspension on a '99 non-sport 528. I plan on getting 4 KONI Yellows while Tirerack has their sale price. Do I really need to buy new Springs ?? I'm not interested in lowering the "stance" by a quarter inch. And I really don't want a stiffer ride, not on these New Jersey roads (this State is broke and they have no money for Paving). I just want the handling to be as close to the original ride as possible. Is it really necessary to shell out an additional $300 for new springs ? They don't wear out......do they ?

#44 ·
Compare the measurements from the fender arch to the ground with what is in the Bentley manual. My old springs were still fine when I took them out, I sold them on eBay.
Yours could also be fine, check the ride height in each corner and look at the bottom coils to make sure they aren't rusted and ready to break.

#42 ·
I should probably post in another thread but since were on the subject, whats everyone's take on coilovers? I have sport suspension and I dont want to ruin the ride but also want to lower it.

My shocks are still good. H&R spring easily run for $300 and for an additional $500 (for about the cost of shocks), i can already get megan coilovers with fully adjustable dampening.

Thoughts?

#43 · (Edited)
Yes, springs wear out. 14 years of almost 2 tons sitting on it. If I were you, look for a used set of sport springs. The difference in handling will be significant.

Z168: If you are going to spend $800 on springs and shocks, you might as well fork over the extra money for coilovers. Just make sure they have dampening. That will make all the difference in comfort.

I got lucky on my H&R/Bilstein sport set or I would have saved up a few more pennies for coilovers.

#46 ·
Z168: If you are going to spend $800 on springs and shocks, you might as well fork over the extra money for coilovers. Just make sure they have dampening. That will make all the difference in comfort.
Thats exactly my point. But it sounded like it was a no-no to others. And while KWs are out of the question, Megan seems to be reviewed well albeit by other car makes

Thanks BV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.