BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Is the sports package a must?

4K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  pockomoth 
#1 ·
I've been searching the classifieds for an E39 and have found a few nice ones but they don't have the sports package. I really like the seats better with the sports package and I'm sure the car will handle better with it. Have any of you driven the E39's with and without the sports package, is it a must own in your opinion. I guess I will be patient and wait to find an E39 with botht the sports and premium package. I live in a smaller town and will probably have to travel to a bigger city to find what I am looking for.

#2 ·
Depends. I say yes, but it all comes down to what you want with the car. If you plan on installing after market suspension then maybe it's not a big deal. I want to keep my car pretty stock so I found a sport package, bigger rims, lower ride, exc.. I have my 2 favorite packages, winter and sport.

#3 ·
i like the sport package. nice wheels, nice suspension, nice package. I like to keep mine mostly stock. So not having to buy wheels and suspension on a depreciating car is a bonus.

#7 ·
I could be wrong here, but I think if you don't get the sport package you won't get the M3 steering wheel or the sport seats with the adjustable thigh support. Otherwise, if you can live without that stuff, I say go for it.

#16 ·
Exactly if that stuff is important to you then hold out for a sport package car.

I have a feeling you'll end up like most enthusiasts if you get an e39 and in that case, Id say yes the sport package is a must. My car is a nonsport but after a few years of ownership Ive replaced parts that are non sport found with ones on the sport package, i.e. sport suspension, black window trim, black impact strips, 17" wheels and 3 spoke steering wheel.
X2

I've driven a friends non-sport touring, automatic even! (LOL) and b/c it has low miles .... and is in great shape .... I liked it almost as much as my 5-speed manual sport touring.

FWIW, I've replaced just about all the parts that make my touring a "sport" b/c they were worn out. Only thing I haven't touched are the seats, steering wheel and trim (exterior). These could be easily changed if one was to get a non-sport and "HAD" to have the sport package aesthetics.

If I found another great shape low mileage 5-speed manual touring ... as a non-sport, I'd buy it and then modify as time / $$$ permits.
These two comments taken together are key. If the suspension is really all you care about in sport package then you can change it over when you redo the suspension (unless it was just done).

But if the seats, steering wheel and to a lesser extent trim are important to you then just hold out for a sport package car. Yes you can swap seats and steering wheels, but it is going to cost you money and time to do it. So if those are important to you just hold out for the sport package car.

Now a guy has a 2002 525 in my area for sale, black on black which I want and it is in great shape and has the sports package. I wanted a 530 so now have to think about whether I want the 525 or not. 30 less horsepower compared to the 530, are the maintenance costs much less. Any advantage to the 525, seems it gets about the same gas mileage as the 530. Should I hold out for a 530?
Don't do it. Expand your search area. I don't think you are going to see much of a difference in gas mileage and maintenance costs are going to be a wash, but I think you will notice the power difference. The only advantage of that car sounds like is that it is close to you. It sounds like you might have to convince yourself that you want that car rather than a 530. I know a lot of people would prefer to just get a car in their back yard rather than expanding their search radius a few hours. I on the other hand would be willing to go to across the country to get exactly what I want so I can't completely relate.

#8 ·
Sport is a must... As to seats, you can get comfort seats in a sport package, fact that it has sport doesn't mean it has sport seats :)

I test drove a non-sport and it just didn't feel very well planted on corners like the sport does.

Like others have said though, if you're planning on changing the suspension up, it's more of a toss-up than if not.

#9 ·
I have a feeling you'll end up like most enthusiasts if you get an e39 and in that case, Id say yes the sport package is a must. My car is a nonsport but after a few years of ownership Ive replaced parts that are non sport found with ones on the sport package, i.e. sport suspension, black window trim, black impact strips, 17" wheels and 3 spoke steering wheel.

#10 ·
IMO Sport package is preferred but not a must. If you find a non-sport in good condition priced appropriately, I would not pass on it in the hopes of finding a sport in similar condition. However, if you must have sport and are patient, by all means wait for the 'ideal' car.

#14 ·
Now a guy has a 2002 525 in my area for sale, black on black which I want and it is in great shape and has the sports package. I wanted a 530 so now have to think about whether I want the 525 or not. 30 less horsepower compared to the 530, are the maintenance costs much less. Any advantage to the 525, seems it gets about the same gas mileage as the 530. Should I hold out for a 530?

#11 ·
IMO Sport package is preferred but not a must. If you find a non-sport in good condition priced appropriately, I would not pass on it in the hopes of finding a sport in similar condition.
X2

I've driven a friends non-sport touring, automatic even! (LOL) and b/c it has low miles .... and is in great shape .... I liked it almost as much as my 5-speed manual sport touring.

FWIW, I've replaced just about all the parts that make my touring a "sport" b/c they were worn out. Only thing I haven't touched are the seats, steering wheel and trim (exterior). These could be easily changed if one was to get a non-sport and "HAD" to have the sport package aesthetics.

If I found another great shape low mileage 5-speed manual touring ... as a non-sport, I'd buy it and then modify as time / $$$ permits.

#12 ·
Perhaps this is an indication that I'm getting old, but I'd rather have cold weather package (so I could have a heated steering wheel) than sport package. Did I really just say that? Yeah, I did...but anyway, yes, to me an E39 w/o sport is still going to be a great ride. Comfort seats are nice, suspension is still great compared to the average grocery getter, and the shadowline trim doesn't really do much for me.

#20 ·
I spent 6 months doing a nationwide search for exact car I wanted. It had to be an 03 540/6 Mtech with the perfect color combo, low miles and solid service history. When I found it, I made a 1,000+ mile trip to buy it. That was over six years ago and I have never regretted it. If you want a particular car, don't settle for anything else. It sucks to regret what you have purchased.

#23 ·
I am the original owner of a 2003 530i with a manual and SP. I ordered almost every major option excluding the NAV. It only has 48,000 on the clock. I am going to keep it until it dies. Good luck with your search. You won't be disapointed. :thumbup:

Regards....JL

#24 ·
In my case, a black on black manual 530i was my main and only criteria. Do I wish my car had the SP, of course I do.

But with the addition of the OEM sport springs I installed last summer, I now have the most important (to me) part of the package. The one part that actually transforms the road manners of the car from non-sport to sport.

I can deal with "the letdown" of having the 4-spoke wheel and comfy seats. The wheel is just as round as the 3-spoke job and the standard BMW seats are as good as any out there. Without the thigh bolster, I also have one less gizmo to break.

#25 ·
If you don't get the sports package you will always be kicking yourself it the butt wishing you had one.
I had a few dealers search for 9 months to get me one, I'm glad I waited.

#28 ·
Wait for the exact car you are looking for, or you will regret it. trust me if you get a 5 spd 530i sport you will fall in love with the car. I love my car to death, i looked for this exact car for about a yr. sterling gey 2003 530i with sports and black interior, i wanted the manual but when i sat in this car and i saw the shades and how sexy the car looked i know that if i walked away from it i wouldnt find another one so i got it. and if this car was a 1000 miles away i would have drove for it. trust me taking a weekend to go get an amazing car like this is more than worth it.

#30 ·
Gorgeous car! Great advice, I am turning this search into a fun one. I'm only 2 hours from San Francisco and 6 miles north of LA so I'm sure I can find what I am looking for. SF has a 2002 black on black 540 with a manual transmission but I'm not sure I want the V8. Plus this car doesn't seem to have a lot of maintenance records and it has 125,000 miles so that scares me. I think the 530 is a better bet. Sounds like the 540 doesn't handle as well as the 530

#29 · (Edited)
I spent more than 7 month searching, studying and learning about the E39 and then went and test drove more than 50, and between the ones that have Sport package and the ones without I settled for the one with the Sport package and I am glad I did. So get one with the Sport package, you will be glad you did.:) Good luck! Cheers to you all E39 Owners!!!:thumbup:

Attachments

#31 ·
Keep looking the 530 is great and the sport is a huge plus.

#33 ·
it deppends on what you want in a car also... a 530i is powerful enough for me and more powerful than most of the cars on the road, but if you want an absolute beast you want a 540i. cost and maintianance is going to be the same. the only diff will be the gas milage. But that also depends on your driving style, for example my car is supposed to avg around 22 MPGS, but i get allot less than that because i drive crazy and race all the time. but it can also get good gas milage if you drive it like its supposed to be driven, for example i made 475 Mile trip on one tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.