BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

<<<Bimmerfest's E46 Wiki>>> Read this before posting questions!

286K views 113 replies 66 participants last post by  Fast Bob 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the Wiki for the E46:

What is a Wiki?

A "wiki" is a collective of knowledge that is editable by anyone. Please do not take this lightly: You all have the power to edit information that is there. Simply login with your bimmerfest login/password and hit the edit button. Please only add relevant information, make sure it is well organized, and make sure it's correct (alternatively, make corrections to incorrect data).

I plan on treating this E46 Wiki as a dynamic FAQ. I'd like it to become the #1 E46 resource on the 'net, replacing all 'sticky' threads, as well as adding all information that people typically ask (upgrades, maintenance, etc).

I'll slowly be moving the 'sticky' threads into the Wiki, so if you see a sticky disappear, that's where it went!

I'll try to develop a good structure/table of contents/formatting template there in the next few days that will make it easier for individuals to add content themselves.

Enjoy!
-Kris

See less See more
#36 ·
Firs, thanks for the fantastic job.

*To discuss changes to the Wiki, post a message here.*

------
4.3.16 Wiper Blades

Wiper Blades

The wiper blades are 22" (drivers side) and 19" (passenger side). The correct Bosch Icon pair are 422B and 419B. BMW dealers sell an insert at very low cost ($2.80 each) which allows one to simply replace the worn rubber element. BMW Part No. 61-61-0-154-440. Installation indications can be found at the end of this thread. Also note that the part numbers for the windshield wipers can be found at RealOEM under the "Vehicle electrical system," section.
-------

As of 10/01/09 I was told by my BMW dealership that they no longer carry nor sell the inserts for a 2001 330Ci - that the entire blade consisting of bracket and insert is now one fused unit that needs to be replaced entirely when worn out, I think it’s the Bosh Icon. This entry needs fact checking and revision.

Thanks

#37 ·
As of 10/01/09 I was told by my BMW dealership that they no longer carry nor sell the inserts for a 2001 330Ci - that the entire blade consisting of bracket and insert is now one fused unit that needs to be replaced entirely when worn out, I think it's the Bosh Icon. This entry needs fact checking and revision.

Thanks
Feel free to make this edit to the wiki (everyone on bimmerfest has the ability to edit it).

#41 ·
At the very end of the E46 wiki there's a reference to buying brake parts from Rock Auto. Don't do it. I recently purchase caliper rebuild kits and found out they were the wrong diameter. Had lengthly discussions and requested they change their catalog entry because it was obviously incorrect. Their answer was that the manufacturer said the parts fit, so therefore I was wrong not them. I returned the parts, they restocked them and now another sucker or two will have to go through the same idiotic process that I did. Save a fellow 'Fester a big headache and delete the reference.

#42 ·
Brake Pad Light/ Sensor Question

Just had the light come on the other day for the brake pads, changed the brake pads, put in the sensor inside the pad, I did not however get a new sensor, I had no idea that a new one is required. I have been reading the forums and found multiple answers? If you change the brake pads can the sensor be reused? If not is that why I can not reset that light on the dashboard???

What's a good place to get that sensor?

#43 ·
Just had the light come on the other day for the brake pads, changed the brake pads, put in the sensor inside the pad, I did not however get a new sensor, I had no idea that a new one is required. I have been reading the forums and found multiple answers? If you change the brake pads can the sensor be reused? If not is that why I can not reset that light on the dashboard???

What's a good place to get that sensor?
Once the sensor goes off you need a new one. You should have read that all over the forum if you searched properly.

Check www.autohausaz.com or www.oembimmerparts.com for a sensor

#49 ·
I love our e46 wiki! I wanted to thank everyone that contributed to the wiki and especially the people that drove the effort. I started doing some basic research last night on the the X3 and X5 (e53 and e83) to see if those models were as diy friendly as our cars. The wikis are lacking for those vehicles which made me realize how underappreciative I have been for our wiki.

You guys rock!

-g

#53 ·
Comment on the Owner's Manual for the Radio: The radio in my 2001 330I configured a bit differently. If you look at #7 on the radio face diagram it reads "Mode". Whereas on my unit it reads "CD". Everything else is the same between the maunual diagram and my unit. The question is, how do I get to "Auxilliary" mode?

#58 ·
Good Morning,

I recently purchased a 2004 330i sedan, automatic, and I'm having a few issues so I'm looking for a good shop in Greensboro,NC. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jay, you'll get more responses if you start a new topic thread vs. posting here.

#59 · (Edited)
wiki has bad link

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46#Wiper_Blades

BMW dealers sell an insert at very low cost ($2.80 each) which allows one to simply replace the worn rubber element. BMW Part No. 61-61-0-154-440. Installation indications can be found at the end of this thread
which leads to a discussion wherein Nate hits a bird at 85mph in 2003.

what is an installation indication anyway?

EDIT:

I think I found an example of someone's strange sense of humor. :eeps:

#66 ·
e46 clutch replacement

I like to install a 10.5 lbs flywheel with a kewlar clutch disc, but i understand that will make gear noise or a noise like a Disel car, my car is a 2002 M3...Its there a way to scape from this noise?? ahhhh using the Hi performace Clutch set

#67 ·
I like to install a 10.5 lbs flywheel with a kewlar clutch disc, but i understand that will make gear noise or a noise like a Disel car, my car is a 2002 M3...Its there a way to scape from this noise?? ahhhh using the Hi performace Clutch set
Running an UltraLight flywheel on the street is usually a mistake (unless you are deaf :rofl: ).

One function of a flywheel is to absorb vibration in the drivetrain....any time you go below 16 pounds on the `wheel, you`re gonna get a racket, especially idling in neutral....all the gears & shafts are banging around inside the trans....for the track, this type of anti-social behavior might be acceptable, but I guarantee you`ll get tired of it in about 2 days on the street (so will your neighbors :p ).

Another downside is, with an UltraLight, you have no kinetic energy being stored, which is what makes it easy to launch the car from a dead stop....with the UL setup, you have to rev the piss out of it and slip the clutch to get under way....THAT gets old fast, too....

Stick to a 16-pounder, and you`ll be OK, while enjoying improved performance, but you won`t kill the everyday driveability....

#68 · (Edited)
Where to find the e46 Wiki:

Link above the thread list and post list sections of each page in the e46 forum, and linked in the sticky thread at the top of the forum thread list. The top section of the wiki is a hyper-linked index, and the bottom section is the content. It's all on one page so it is searchable for keywords like any webpage or document (by keying "Ctrl F")

Attachments

#69 ·
Thanks! i'll run this by my partner today when he comes over and see if he is willing to tackle the wiki.
i looked at the sticky yesterday.

It's a treasure, but... i am not a good technical reader and i need to know what to do by tomorow.
If partner is mystified... sounds like a 7 am garage might be a great thing to find, they might be able to do a quick fix!

best, coupe g

#70 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new here. I'm planning to buy this 316i(2002). I just noticed that it still has a 4 spoke non-multifunctional steering wheel.
I'm considering retrofitting the tail lights with the LED tail light or should i stick with the OEM one? I don't want it to look like a ricer. lol

These are the tail lights that i'm considering....

As you can see, i'm here in the Philippines and most cars here are JDM inspired. So your help will surely be appreciated! Thanks a lot!

#71 · (Edited)
#72 ·
You are posting in the wrong place !
Post to the General Forum area, NOT to the Wiki thread !

#76 ·
If you have a question, or topic of interest, just start a new thread in the Main Forum area. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.