BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2012 328i Steering Wheel Vibration

44K views 226 replies 55 participants last post by  328iM 
#1 ·
I've been experiencing a slight steering wheel vibration from 40-60mph in my new 328i. You can feel the small vibration with your hands on the wheel, but it becomes even more obvious when you take you hands off the wheel and see it moving on its own.

A few other people have posted about this issue, but I haven't seen any updates recently. I took mine in to the dealer last week and they balanced the tires. It was maybe a little better for a couple of days, but seems to be back full force now.

My car was an early May 2012 build. Did they resolve this issue in later builds? Has anyone gotten resolution on this issue?

#55 · (Edited)
It's a visual vibration. The feeling is so minute it's hard to tell if it's road feel or the actual problem you are feeling, but there is a visual shake in the steering wheel between 40 and 60. I have had numerous bmw's in the past and none have ever had a steering wheel that shook. I personally find it hard to feel the vibration. Other cases might be more severe.

And yes, a ton of F30's have the problem.

^ and you know you have it when you are going 50, take your hands off the wheel and your steering wheel is not dead steady, it looks like a vibrator lol.

#57 ·
It's a visual vibration. The feeling is so minute it's hard to tell if it's road feel or the actual problem you are feeling, but there is a visual shake in the steering wheel between 40 and 60. I have had numerous bmw's in the past and none have ever had a steering wheel that shook. I personally find it hard to feel the vibration. Other cases might be more severe.

And yes, a ton of F30's have the problem.

^ and you know you have it when you are going 50, take your hands off the wheel and your steering wheel is not dead steady, it looks like a vibrator lol.
Mine is slight, but I can definitely feel it in the wheel. I don't typically drive with a death grip on the wheel so perhaps that's why I can feel it. It's very slight, but I always know when I am approaching 50mph. Maybe BMW should spin the issue as a passive safety feature? I can see it now..."Now introducing speed warning vibrator"

#60 ·
There are a lot more '12's on the street than '13's at this point so I think it's too early to tell.

#63 ·
I just got my 2013 back from my dealer because I was having this issue. I thought it would work itself out after the initial break-in period. When they brought me the loaner, the loaner vehicle had the same problem. I called the dealer and told them and asked if this was a repeated problem - I just thought it was odd that the loaner was doing it too. They told me no. This has me very concerned - I'll keep everyone posted if they actually fixed the problem once I drive my vehicle.

#64 ·
Just drove home and the steering wheel is still shaking, just not as bad. Apparently they balanced the tires. I'm sending them an email with the BMW link that someone previously posted so they can look this issue up. I can tell you right now, I will be the worst nightmare until this is rectified. I didn't order and wait for 2 months to get a car that the steering wheel shakes. I hope they'll be able to get this rectified soon. I'll keep you all posted.

#68 ·
Thats tough for 2 reasons, A, we have been waiting so long for for these cars, and B, since so many cars have them its not like you can just re order and be guaranteed you wont get the issue again. In all honesty the problem is not that bad where it makes the car undribeavle and its hard to feel, its just that you dont expect a 50k car;s steering wheel to vibrate.

#70 ·
Becuase i am getting a 335 thats 10k more than my current car and paying less each month:)

It's not so much a vibration i feel as more of one i see. The I6, m performance exhuast and hk will make me forget about it

#74 ·
Man this is one depressing thread. I should have the car in a week's time, lets just say I will be one pissed off customer if this issue is there. I don't have the time to dick around with the dealer every other week. You get a 50k vehicle you want it to at the very least do the obvious things very well and being vibration free is one of those things.

#81 ·
Potential new BMW owner... thwarted by this problem

Any other updates on this problem?

I'll admit this has me quite concerned. I have never owned a BMW. Until learning about this problem I was very close to leasing a 328i xDrive Sport line. While the vehicle I test drove did not have the "vibration" issue, enough of you have raised it as a concern that it's forcing me to think about putting a pause to my plans. I'd hate to wait 4-6 weeks or more for a vehicle that costs upwards of $48K to have a constantly vibrating steering wheel (and I too would probably be driven crazy knowing it might be a problem).

The problem seems to be reported on most every 3-series forum on all of the major BMW user groups/enthusiast sites.

I still cannot tease out whether this problem is exclusive to the models without the dynamic handling package. It seems that far more people are reporting problems with the non-dynamic models, but then again the results are hard to tabulate as they are scattered across all these boards. Several enthusiasts pointed out that the manufacturer of the electric steering modules is different on the non-dynamic models. But then again, others mention their problem being miraculously fixed with only a more in-depth balancing using a roadforce system.

It surprises me that BMW would allow this problem to go on this long without a fix, if it truly exists. After all this vehicle is a benchmark and their biggest seller. Makes me wonder about a more serious engineering flaw? You'd think that if this problem was isolated to a steering module issue, that they'd just issue a systematic recall for those vehicles and voila, problem fixed.

Thoughts? Should I just wait another 3-6 months and see what happens?
Really wanted to join the BMW family but looking less likely now.
Help!

#85 ·
Any other updates on this problem?

I'll admit this has me quite concerned. I have never owned a BMW. Until learning about this problem I was very close to leasing a 328i xDrive Sport line.
Really, I've never seen a car forum for any brand or model that didn't have an issue or two that could make one worry. In the end, probably a very small percentage of the cars actually have the issue. Most people that have no issues with their cars never post on a forum like this. But, the guy who discovers a problem will do a google search, and the next thing you know, he's here. It's just the way it goes. I wouldn't worry.

#82 ·
If the problems are in the wheel balancing and/or bad wheels, as the re-released technical service bulletin seems to indicate it is unlikely that the adaptive handling package has anything to do with it.

I would not hesitate to order. If this problem affects you, BMW will make it right. Some people have gotten entire new cars over this and the number of 2013 MY owners reporting trouble is pretty low.

#87 ·
If the car has a problem that you can't live with, and a "large majority" have it, why would you reorder the car? Why not move onto an S4 or whatever? :dunno:

#102 ·
I can see and feel my vibration. Had it in to the dealer with less than 500 miles to address the situation...didn't work. If I had to put an uneducated guess as to the cause I would have to say that it is some issue with the power steering itself. If it was a mechanical issue, i.e. wheel balancing, hub diameter, tire issue, etc...., it seems that it would be more consistent. Last night on my drive home at 50mph on a dead smooth patch of highway, the steering wheel vibration was as bad as it's ever been. Pull up to daycare, pick my kid up and head out for home and vibration is barely noticeable even when my hand was off the wheel. This morning, same deal...could barely feel it.

#106 ·
This post describes the issue pretty well. I only notice IT when I am going 43mph to about 55mph and that is a few times a day during my drive to/from work. I think for us that have owned BMW's the new steering doesn't require that you grasp the steering wheel as hard. The steering is much lighter and easier - hence, why I noticed the shaking I think.

After sending my car to have it checked out - it doesn't seem as bad, they balanced the tires. But the loaner that had about 6,900 miles on it shook terribly which concerns me - will my steering wheel shaking worsen with time?

Unfortunately, I've not had a very good experience with my Service Rep - he basically doesn't believe me. So I ended up talking to the Manager of the Service Department and suggested they hunt down the loaner they gave me and drive it at the speeds we've talked about. The Manager actually admitted knowing of one other customer of theirs that reported having the same problem and then going to BWM to deal with their problem.

I probably would have not been pissed nor looked this up on this blog, which I have followed for a while now, if I hadn't been treated like I was losing my mind. Again - my concern is what is actually causing the problem. Can it be fixed? Will this affect the value of my car? Will the shaking worsen as I put more miles on my vehicle? Will this affect my tires? I think all of these questions are valid. I didn't spend $49k for a car with a shaking steering wheel. I expect more from BMW. But I would be extremely satisfied if they found a simple fix that won't affect the value of my vehicle.

#103 ·
Interesting. The electric steering probably makes use of a servo motor and software to control it. Could be a bad batch of servo motors or a problem with the firmware that is controlling the power steering.

It's very hard to believe that this is a fundamental design problem. BMW has too much experience and too many picky people who test their cars for something like that to slip through completely unnoticed.... unless it was a business decision because fixing it would have been too expensive, which also seems unlikely.

#104 ·
no question it's a hardware issue and it has to do with the zf steering box. i drove an x3 with the same zf steering and found the issue there too.

#107 ·
Those with problems should contact http://www.nhtsa.gov/ to inform them of the situation in hopes that they start an investigation.

#108 ·
People that do not have this issue may dismiss it all they want. My intention for this thread was for anyone with steering wheel vibration (not an active safety feature, as some have suggested :p) to post their story and to discuss potential resolution to the issue.

I tried to take a video the other day, but I couldn't find a straight enough road and the iPhone camera wasn't able to pick it up. I really need a mount to get a good shot. In my vehicle, the wheel moves back and forth approx. 1-2 degrees at a rate of ~2Hz. Because of the low level of rotational movement, I only notice it when gripping the wheel lightly, such as when cruising down a straight. This really annoys me, and I have found myself paying more attention to the steering wheel when I am driving than enjoying my new car. I have also noticed it getting worse with mileage, even after the dealer did a "good faith" balance of the wheels (I put that in quotes, but I do indeed appreciate their effort).

I know I am not "an anal retentive BMW owner" because this is my first BMW and my other vehicle is a Civic Si. The civic exhibits no steering wheel shake or vibration and I don't expect the ultimate driving machine to either.

I'm trying to decide what my next move is. It seems pointless at this time to take it back into the dealer. Everyone, please keep posting here any hits or misses you have with getting this issue resolved. I'm sure we will get it at some point....

#110 ·
People that do not have this issue may dismiss it all they want. My intention for this thread was for anyone with steering wheel vibration (not an active safety feature, as some have suggested :p) to post their story and to discuss potential resolution to the issue.
I don't think that anyone is dismissing the issue; at least I'm not. The question has become how widespread is the problem, and whether it's common enough to make potential buyers reconsider buying the car. I think not.

#109 ·
Have you tried taking it to another dealer to see if they can help?

#112 ·
All these excuses, defending this issue remind me of Apple fan boys defending any flaws with Apple products. I know, because I am an Apple fan boy and I do it all the time. Vibration and road feel are two separate things. My 2006 330i had excellent road feel and never vibrated. I could feel the texture of the road, but on a smooth road, the steering wheel was always still and stable as a rock. If the vibration was in anyway related to road feel, it would be apparent at ALL speeds, not just the range that people are complaining about.

I tolerate flaws in Apple products, because for the most part they are very good and the pros outweigh the cons (for me anyway). I think as several posters have eluded to, this is sort of the same thing. They like the rest of the car so much, that they are willing to put up with it. Personally, any sort of vibration in the steering wheel, visible or tactile, totally ruins the driving experience and would not be acceptable in any car, let alone the Ultimate Driving Machine.

For those of you with problems, don't let BMW off the hook so easy. A BMW should not vibrate. Ever. At any speed. I can't imagine BMW would intentionally engineer a steering wheel to vibrate back and forth at certain speeds. This definitely sounds like a flaw. Reminds me of Apple's antenna-gate. Hopefully they issue a fix soon. If I plopped down $50 on a vibrating car, I'd be PISSED.

#115 ·
There is defensiveness here but it isn't mine. I'm looking for a definition of the problem in the context of what is desirable or reasonably expected. And I'm still having a hard time understanding the definition of the problem. I realize it's possible this standard has changed over the years because as I stated there was a time not too long ago where credit was given for the right type of vibration as opposed to wanton. Mercedes lacked any form of vibration but BMW's style was different.

Your assumptions as to my motives are incorrect. Your perspective, as you indicate is that of a fanboy. Miine as I indicated was coming from cameras where the sky is always falling with issues that turn out to trace back to user error. If my assumptions there aren't warranted I apologize.

#116 ·
Follow up - My dealer called me late yesterday to follow-up with what they've discovered about the steer wheel shaking issue. He spoke with their BMW Engineer and they admitted that this is a reported problem that BMW is actively searching for a fix. They are picking up my vehicle next Thursday to do a few tests and a hard road/tire balance (might not have understood exactly what he was saying) and they are going to open a BMW claim. Not sure what all that means but he explained that BMW will then be aware that my vehicle is having this "issue."

Let me set the record straight - someone mentioned that maybe the vehicle was designed to drive this way. It isn't. This is my 4th BMW and this is the only one that has had this problem, I know how a BMW drives, that is why I buy them. I'll also answer someones question as to whether it would keep someone from buying the vehicle IF the issue would have been known - I would have thought long and hard about buying my vehicle knowing this was an unresolved issue. I know that I would have kept my 2009 3series convertible and told them to call me once the issue is resolved. I say this only because of the unknown. Is the fix going to be minor? Will it effect the value of my vehicle? Will this effect my tires? There are so many unknowns right now, I just wouldn't have taken that chance. This isn't just a vehicle, it is an investment to me.

With that said - we are a BMW family - so we're very familiar with how these vehicles drive/ride. Friends of ours that have a 5M and a 6Conv, agree with me that they wouldn't have bought the car knowing of this unresolved issue. YES, I love this new car. This is the first time I've ordered a BMW EXACTLY the way I wanted it and have I said how much I LOVE IT!!!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!! However, the steering wheel shakes while driving it between the speeds of 40mph - to about 60mph.

What is keeping me calm for the moment is - BMW has admitted to me that IT is a known issue that they are currently seeking a solution for. I'll be patient for now. I'll give them the opportunity to fix it and we'll go from there. IF not, Florida has the Lemon Law and someone will get my beautiful car back, which won't make me happy.

#117 ·
Follow up - My dealer called me late yesterday to follow-up with what they've discovered about the steer wheel shaking issue. He spoke with their BMW Engineer and they admitted that this is a reported problem that BMW is actively searching for a fix. They are picking up my vehicle next Thursday to do a few tests and a hard road/tire balance (might not have understood exactly what he was saying) and they are going to open a BMW claim. Not sure what all that means but he explained that BMW will then be aware that my vehicle is having this "issue."

Let me set the record straight - someone mentioned that maybe the vehicle was designed to drive this way. It isn't. This is my 4th BMW and this is the only one that has had this problem, I know how a BMW drives, that is why I buy them. I'll also answer someones question as to whether it would keep someone from buying the vehicle IF the issue would have been known - I would have thought long and hard about buying my vehicle knowing this was an unresolved issue. I know that I would have kept my 2009 3series convertible and told them to call me once the issue is resolved. I say this only because of the unknown. Is the fix going to be minor? Will it effect the value of my vehicle? Will this effect my tires? There are so many unknowns right now, I just wouldn't have taken that chance. This isn't just a vehicle, it is an investment to me.

With that said - we are a BMW family - so we're very familiar with how these vehicles drive/ride. Friends of ours that have a 5M and a 6Conv, agree with me that they wouldn't have bought the car knowing of this unresolved issue. YES, I love this new car. This is the first time I've ordered a BMW EXACTLY the way I wanted it and have I said how much I LOVE IT!!!! It is BEAUTIFUL!!!! However, the steering wheel shakes while driving it between the speeds of 40mph - to about 60mph.

What is keeping me calm for the moment is - BMW has admitted to me that IT is a known issue that they are currently seeking a solution for. I'll be patient for now. I'll give them the opportunity to fix it and we'll go from there. IF not, Florida has the Lemon Law and someone will get my beautiful car back, which won't make me happy.
Totally agree with everything you have said, especially the bolded parts

To be honest i would have not given them the car to do anything. There is no fix. The fact that they are aware would have been where the service involvement should have ended. My scenario is very similar to yours. I took the car in once, the shop forman agreed with me, and acknowledged the issue. I had him open the puma case, which is what they will do with you, and 2 weeks later i was ordering my new car. BMW does not want you to lemon the car because it goes on the title and they cant get much for it when it goes to auction. Call BMWNA and tell them whats up, they will talk to your dealer and in about 2 weeks you can be ordering your new car(doesnt have to be another F30). They will give you back the money you have spent on the car minus a fee for mileage used.

#121 ·
Agree. My warranty has expired on my RS4 and I'm not interested in aftermarket warranties as they tend to be expensive and have way too much fine print regarding all the stuff that's not covered. I've been in the service department many times, hearing the SA's try to explain to frustrated customers why the repair isn't covered by the shoddy extended warranty they bought. Anyway, I digress.

So, I'm casually in the market for a new car. I've thought about a CPO M3 to replace the thrill I'm used to in the RS4. But honestly, I think I just want a more "normal" car, but still quick and fun to drive. So, I've had my eye on the new F30. But this issue does seem to be pretty widespread. And, as steering vibration is one of my biggest pet peeves, the F30 will be off my list until I hear there is a fix.

I did buy the RS4 knowing that it would have carbon issues. But I was fine with that. It's an extra expense every year, but not something that ruins the driving experience every day. Even the E90 HPFP issue was a nuisance, but didn't ruin the day-to-day driving experience.

To those with this issue, I hope you get a fix soon!

#119 ·
Actually, nobody denied your individual problem, again some of us are trying to understand what defines it and how common it is. Some of us may have science backgrounds where challenging assertions, particularly in light of inconsistencies, is standard. One poster said no vibration is acceptable which is different than what you describe. My car's characteristics are in line with past models -- right now with 1,500 miles. I'd like to understand more about it in case at some point I'm affected. And if I am, I'd like to be able to discuss the problem with engineer types in their language.

If my car did what you're describing I'd be just as dissatisfied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.