BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Check Engine/Oil Light

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeckle 
#1 ·
Here's the issue. I was driving my 87 325es up Mount Seymour in BC with a couple of passengers and the Check Engine Light on the gauge cluster starts flashing. I turn to the warning lights above and see that the check oil light is on as well.

Once I reach the top of the mountain, I keep the engine running and open the hood. Engine seems to be working fine and the oil level appears to be between the minimum and maximum points on the dipstick.

I met up with a few other cars on the mountain and we continued to cruise along the Sea-to-Sky until we reached Porteau Cove with the warning light flashing the entire time. We stayed there for a couple of hours before we then drove about back the other way for a photoshoot. Weirdly, during the trip back the Warning light stopped flashing. However, after leaving the photoshoot, the Warning light started flashing again all the way back home.

My question is what might be the potential problem with the car? Obviously climbing that mountain might have taken a toll but I just don't know how. For the entire day I drove it the car drove fine and the engine was acting normally. The oil level was just below 1/2 soo I'm wondering if I maybe need to do an oil change for the summer.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would have stopped the car and not started until I was sure all was ok, sometimes the dip stick can fool you. Having said that one day I parked on a hill and started the engine and the light came on, rolled the car in neutral to a level field and it went away. So it is possible your light came on for that same reason. Go get an oil change to be sure.

#3 ·
oil pump could be headin south. or the pick up tube is clogged. remember that light is for pressure, so id start by looking at the pressure switch and doing a oil pressure test

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#4 ·
My oil pressue light started flashing and stayed on and went off. Turned out to be a broken wire hitting against the engine metal and when a new wire was ran it was all good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.