BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Lost CarKeys

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  645/333 
#1 ·
I lost my carkey...i do have a spare one, but i am worried what if someone finds the original key...dealer told me it will cost 2K to get the keys changed....has anyone been through this...any advice would be really appreciated!!

Thanks

#2 ·
How would someone know the key is for your car? I think the likelihood is pretty remote. Just get a new replacement key.

#4 ·
If you did lose the keys in your apartment block you may well have a wonderful person who has found them and is looking for the owner.
IF someone has found them and they are a bad person, well they may steal or get someone to steal your car, in this case you are stuck because the only way to stop anyone is to recalibrate /buy a new key setup, or you could use from here in, a steering wheel lock and not leave anything in the car, or move!!! The other issue is that you have to tell your insurance company because they may have a clause that when a car is taken or broken into with no signs of entry then the car is no longer insured,
Here in the UK we have car thieves who use a jammer to block the signal from the key fob to the car, so the person thinks the car is locked but in reality it isn't, and they either steal from the car or whatever!!! They attack high value cars because most people think having pressed the fob the car is lock instead of making sure by lifting the door handle or watching the pins drop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.