BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

White Smoke

12K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  BMWX7 
#1 ·
I have a '01 X5 4.4 that blows a large amount of white smoke at start up, then very little when driving. After idling (at stop) it will blow white smoke again. When it first started (couple of weeks ago) the temperature gauge reads normal and no noticeable change in power at acceleration or while driving.
Now the check engine light has come on and the codes are P1341, P1343, P1345 and P1349
Temperature gauge is still normal and a slight hesitation in power when accelerating.
The dealer is saying that it is either the crank case vent valve or the exhaust stem seals.
I have also heard that it may be something with the coolant.
Anyone else had or seen this problem?

#2 ·
as i'm lil expirienced with Bimmers, all of them have problems with smoke. That would be your valve seals. Not just a valve cover gasket, but the valve seals. You have to reseal the valves and you'll be good. That job is big $$$ takes at least 8 hours. Good luck with that

#6 ·
Are all the 2006 BMW X5's faulty with top end problems at 108K miles. Have white puffs at times when idles too long, then hard to start, but was told that oil cold have been changed to different type synthetic...recommends Castrol on engine at filler cap. Also, I am receiving this battery and voltage problem now and do not know what to do...think the alternator bad, only 108K on the car. Put new battery in and had to tow 60 miles because like many others, in the summer of 2012, the heat gauge was stuck because the X5 did not recognize the new battery...so another $105.00 at dealer for "diagnostic" as they said to program the battery.....been teaching electronics for 25 years, still looking for one of those "programmable 12V Auto Batteries". Worked fine for about 2 months and then all of a sudden, daughter in car with my grand kids and the car fails, trans light on, and ABS and other 4X4 indicators. Jump car, runs well for less than one week, and first cold snap being this weekend, all goes haywire which indicated bad battery. On way to work this morning and have brown out and shut down of electrical system, tow for $75.00 and charge battery at my school and now trying to determine the problem. Is is the alternator or the voltage regulator. This car has gremlins and electronic demons and is beginning to resemble the misery of Range Rover owners. My 1996, 328i is great car as is my 1974 VW Bus....dependable.....if before 1999!!! Maybe prince had a point with song "1999"! Work at a school with brand new $10k scan tool system, getting now waveforms from the Alternator or Voltage Regulator indicating past problem or not on top of it yet............I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 ·
So have you checked the alternator with a VDM at the battery terminals in the engine bay? If so, what was your output reading? A regulator issue can be noticeable at the connection. I had an intermittent problem on a car that showed the alternator was good, even under a tested load, even though I took it to two different places? but in fact I new the battery was new, and that the alternator voltage reading said other wise and an intermittent problem, so I changed it. No issues.

Have you checked all possible connection.. Battery and other else where? Damaged the ECU from jump start?

The white smoke maybe an Oil Separator issue. White smoke is a common problem if the unit is failing. I use the BMW synthetic, or Mobile one. Either way, each Qt. is about the same price.

~Mud

#8 ·
I feel like it is and intermittent FM problem also, put in new battery in July, and then had to take to dealer for update of program to match battery. First cold snap of winter indicates battery, but on way to work dash lit up and basically browned out ...slow discharge as if alternator not working. Are the voltage regulators or alternators water cooled? Makes sense with load these cars are under. When I got to the technical center and charged battery, was not getting proper duty cycle on scope at alternator, but had another checking an may not have been making necessary measurements. Will get started again tomorrow in early am. Great cars, but BMW is making a mistake with technology instead of refining their outstanding products, they are attempting to add technology that is costly and almost unnecessary. My 1996 328i is a jewel with 138k and i love it. Previously owned 1984 735i, rear-ended and totaled but saved my daughters life!! Obviously have had to replace hoses, water pump, radiator and necessary evils of a 16 year old vehicle, but an amazing car. Stills rides tight, performs great like all the older inline 6 cars, and smells like a BMW eery time you open the door. That car and my 1974 VW Bus most dependable cars I own. Wish the X5 was this well designed!!! Thanks.

#10 ·
2003 x5 3.0 with this problem.

Crankcase ventilator froze and white smoke is exhaust. In my case it routed back into the cabin ventilation system.

Fried both catalytic converters. Vehicle cabin stank of fumes for weeks.

Quoted $8800 fix.

BMW advised me that I should not drive my vehicle on short trip when temperature is below 0.

I live in Canada.

As you might imagine I was quite taken aback by this response.

I worked my way up through the chain at BMW Canada, was told that the crankcase ventilator was not part of the power train so was not covered.

I was once threatened by BMW Canada that they would now charge me the entire amount if I did not stop my inquires. I even had a BMW representative in Canada tell me "He was BMW and to stop."

I was able to get BMW Canada to assume responsibility of both catalytic converters and reduced fix to $2300 CAN.

I had had vehicle serviced as per manufacturers guidelines.

BMW installed "covers" to protect the crankcase ventilators.

I inquired if there were checked as part of routine maintainance; No.
I inquired if the crankcase ventilators were heated electrically or pneumatically; No.
I rebutted that this is a design flaw for a vehicle built to be driven in Canada where it is below 0'C 1/2 the year.

I pursued this though Transport Canada Passenger Vehicle Division and was advised that this was/is a known problem to BMW, for example, the issued a Tech Safety Bulletin about this particular issue; however, no recall and dealers and BMW is not legally obliged to inform you of this short coming. Apparently simply issuing the TSA covers them.

There is still an ongoing investigation within Transport as the Inspector that contacted me informed me there were major issues in Minnesota, Alberta, Ontario and North Dakota.

#13 ·
^It's an insulation blanket wrap around the Oil Separator Unit. Find a longer route with hway to burn off oil deposit.

#17 ·
It's a 2001 x5 3.0 ..thanks for the threads..going to be a while till I can replace oil sep' and hoses..

Q: What can I do until then

Q: Is it safer to idle the engine till it warms or drive till warms up..?
Follow the users manual says;

Driving off immediately:
Do not allow the engine to warm up by Leaving it run while the vehicle remains stationary. Instead, begin driving at moderate engine speed. This is the fastest way for the cold engine to reach it,s pirating temperature.

I start mine and let it idle for about 20-30 sec to allow oil pressure to build (which takes far less time) and the engine components to be fully coated and then just keep it under 3k rpm and driving easy. Letting it sit idling may allow your engine to warm up, but it does not warm up the transmission.

~Mud

#19 ·
White Smoke and Oil Plug problems

DO YOU HAVE A LIST OF RECALLS ON THIS CAR....I feel like there should be a recall on the total vehicle. I had my oil changed at Tom Williams BMW of Birmingham and wanted to change the oil my self and no I cannot even get the oil plug out without fear of rounding out the torx head.....so there goes another $150.00...byt the way put in an alternator and 2 PVC oil pressure valves and so far the white smoke is gone. The original ones were totally rotted at the seams and destroyed allowing changes in oil pressure. Please let me know if you have experienced the sabotage from dealer techs as I feel I am getting.

#20 ·
I found it hard to believe...

So I had the smoking issue with my 2006 X5 4.4. I just couldn't believe BMW would make an engine that would need valve stems at 100,000 miles or less. I researched for months, but never found any positive. Alas, it's what I DIDN'T see in posts that led to a solution. Two things led to my conclusion: no one posted anything about spark plugs and the smoke itself smelled of fuel. If at a drive thru I could smell the smoke before I saw it. When I purchased my X5 with 83k miles I took it to have an engine flush along with the oil change. The shop said I basically wasted my money because the engine treatment came out incredibly clean. That led me to not suspect abuse as the culprit. I had my plugs changed 3 days ago. The smoke has completely stopped. It would do the same thing everyone complained about...smoke after idling. My haunch is the plugs begin to foul around 60k (most cars suggest a 50k mile change). This wreaks havoc on the fuel system causing additional fluid burn off, thus the smoke. Mine smoked lightly the day of and even more lightly the day after my plug change. I'm suspecting it was extra fuel or the computers were readjusting. Go on and hang your hat on this solution!

#21 ·
So I had the smoking issue with my 2006 X5 4.4. I just couldn't believe BMW would make an engine that would need valve stems at 100,000 miles or less. I researched for months, but never found any positive. Alas, it's what I DIDN'T see in posts that led to a solution. Two things led to my conclusion: no one posted anything about spark plugs and the smoke itself smelled of fuel. If at a drive thru I could smell the smoke before I saw it. When I purchased my X5 with 83k miles I took it to have an engine flush along with the oil change. The shop said I basically wasted my money because the engine treatment came out incredibly clean. That led me to not suspect abuse as the culprit. I had my plugs changed 3 days ago. The smoke has completely stopped. It would do the same thing everyone complained about...smoke after idling. My haunch is the plugs begin to foul around 60k (most cars suggest a 50k mile change). This wreaks havoc on the fuel system causing additional fluid burn off, thus the smoke. Mine smoked lightly the day of and even more lightly the day after my plug change. I'm suspecting it was extra fuel or the computers were readjusting. Go on and hang your hat on this solution!
I hear what you are saying fm the rest, but did you have smoke/Smell coming in to the CABIN.?...im experiencing burnt smell coming in to cabin. Didnt see smoke yet..but frm other thread i was told its the oil drip(slow) thats burnt at manifold n causing the smell..really goes off in a min or so. I could see oil drop hanging at the base metal plate possibly frm the OIL FILTER housing. Meanwhile am gonna change the plugs too after a SEAFOAM RUN - through the intake vacuum hose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.