BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New to forum, questions about tires on 135 convertible

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Liquidsunshine 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, and have been spending some of this morning searching the forum to see if my questions have been asked before.

I did get some answered, but not others. If they have been answered somewhere else, please forgive this post, and point me in the direction of that thread.

Background: This past May, we replaced my wife's 2003 325i after 200k fantastic miles. Since our family expanded, and I already had just purchased a family hauler (Audi Q7), she wanted to have the fun car. It was a CPO 2010 135 convertible. It is her everyday driver. Neither of us drive it hard, as the convertible was what she wanted. I'd say I am a conservative driver when I use it, and she is more like an average driver. Not really aggressive, but not as conservative as me.

She loves the car, but has complained about the tire noise. We agreed that when it was time, we wold replace with non run flat tires, as this was the same issue we had when we bought the 325. The tires that came with it were run flats, and we replaced hem with non run flats for what my wife thinks is a quieter ride.

We got our first raw all day this week. Lots of wind, rain, and cold weather. She told me the car did not feel as if it was safe unless she slowed way down, and that we needed to get new tires ASAP.

When I went to get tire size, imagine my surprise when she had different size tires on the rear than on the front. This is where I have some questions.

1) Reading around the forum, the different tire sizes indicate she has the sport package. I also see this is called a staggered set up versus a square set up of 4 same size tires. What are the pros and cons of these two different tires setups? I need to know this as I go over my options.

2) In researching the tires on there now, it appears that they are summer tires. Given that performance driving is not an issue here, my wife would like to go to all season tires. Since neither of us drive it hard, what difference, in any, will we see versus what's in there now?

3) Because of the difference in sizes, and wife's preference for a non run flat tires, I have been unsuccessful in finding a set that meets her criteria and the staggered set up. If I look at a summer/winter set up, I can find some options. If I do this, what will winter tires do the driving experience? Mpg, road noise, ride comfort, etc? We don't really get a ton of snow here, and its flat, so I'm not inclined to to use winter tires. On snowy days, she can always take mine or I can take her to and from work, since her car has such low clearance. But I need more info.

So my options, as far as I can tell, are these:

1) Go with different sets for summer and winter. Aside from having to buy a rack and find storage space for the tires, and getting them switched out twice a year, what other issues does this present? Also, can I get this done at any tire place without messing up the CPO warranty and service plan?

2) Buy a new set of rims for either the front or the rear, and buy a new set of all season tires that meet what she wants. Should I keep the larger rear wheels, or the smaller front wheels? Again, what does tires size do for the ride, even if you are not pushing the car hard? Which is the better way to go in this scenario?

3) Go with different pairs of all seasons for the front and the rear. I have read and been told for years that this is something that should never be done, because it wont handle properly due to the different tread patterns. Again, since the car never goes faster than highway cruising, is it still a safety concern? Would the fact that the pairs would likely wear at different rates cause an issue later?

Any answers anyone can give me would be great, as I would like to get this handled before truly cold weather and winter arrives. Maybe in about 30-45 days?

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Tire rack had nothing in all season, non run flat that fit both sizes. They had some that were either one size or the other, or they had some that were run flats. And they had some that were summer or winter.

But I was hoping for some answers regarding my other questions from people who likely know a lot more about cars than I do. Just trying to make an informed decision by picking the brain of some car guys and gals.

#5 · (Edited)
Tire rack had nothing in all season, non run flat that fit both sizes. They had some that were either one size or the other, or they had some that were run flats. And they had some that were summer or winter.
Tire rack has an expected availability 10/15/13 for 215/40ZR18 front Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

The rear 245/35ZR18 they have in stock and will ship both to my local sears for them to install when the fronts come in.

Check tire rack ext. 4798 Julian

Review of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Reviews/fr/Review-Michelin-Pilot-Sport-A-S-3.htm

You might also be able to find them locally.

#4 ·
Also, I'd like to ask what any of you do for a spare tire and jack? Is there a BMW OEM kit, or after market kits that will somehow fit in the trunk or somewhere underneath the car? This is something that I need. I do not want my wife getting a flat and waiting on the side of the road for a tow by herself. This is probably the one thing that I cannot understand and that I dislike very much about the car.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Thanks for the info on the tires, Norm37. So, you would recommend keeping this odd 'staggered' set up, as opposed to getting all 4 the same size? Any help on pros and cons for either set up?

Also, you posted a link for a repair kit, not a spare. Are you opposed to spares? If so, why? She wants a spare, and as do I, but if there is a tangible benefit to repairing a tire, I'm all ears. If there was space, I'd just keep a full size spare in the trunk. But I don't think a full size will fit. So I am guessing there has to be a temp spare available. I have Googled for BMW spare tire kits, and I see aftermarket replacements for the larger cars, just not the 1. BMW really doesn't make a jack or spare for this tire?

#12 · (Edited)
So, you would recommend keeping this odd 'staggered' set up, as opposed to getting all 4 the same size? Any help on pros and cons for either set up?
Whoops! Forgot to mention the cons to a staggered set. My son is staying with the staggered set. So I didn't even think about the cons.

The warranty on the rear tires will be cut in half, because of the inability to rotate staggered tires.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 I recommended has a 22,500 mile warranty on the rears instead of 45,000.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it earlier.

#13 · (Edited)
I have sport package with staggered tyre setup. I replaced my run flats with continental extream contact DWS non run flats and love them. And they are available in correct sizes for our cars. Better ride, less noise, I'm very happy with this tyre

Oops, sorry just noticed you have a 135. Do not think the Contis are avaliable in your sizes

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#14 ·
I have a 2009 135 vert with 18" sports package (staggered set up). I got a lot of feedback from the forum that proved to be valuable.

I went up in size to F: 225/40-18
R: 255/35-18 (these are the sizes for a 335) and got a set of Michelin Pilot A/S. The ride, handling, steering response and road noise all improved. The larger size was recommended by a lot of people and was definitely the right choice.

I bought mine at a local Discount Tire store and got a great deal, especially when I mentioned I'd been looking at Tire Rack, AND I got a full replacement road hazard warranty thrown in to sweeten the deal.

My advice, go with all season tires, especially since you don't drive aggressively, up size to the 3 series sizes and shop around.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#15 · (Edited)
You need to stay staggerd

I have the sport package on my new 128 with the staggered set-up. When I got the car it had the OEM tires on it, but one of them was the front tire size. This turns out to have given me really good information about the benefits of a staggered set-up. The car turned like it hit a curved wall when loading the proper size rear tire in the turn but tended to wash out and over steer when loading the tire that is too small in the turn. Both tires were pretty evenly fresh and according to my tire pressure sensors, had the proper pressure in them. If the suspension is set up for staggered wheels/tires, it appears to be important.

I also have some feedback on the Michelin Super Sport AS 3. That A/S 3 is a great tire. I replaced my OEM tires which were quick but noisy and harsh with the Michelin A/S 3s from Discount Tire. The A/S 3s didn't give me the "hit the curved wall" feeling when I cornered like the OEM run-flats did however. I went back to Discount and talked about it and they agreed to swap them out for some Bridgestone SO4 summer only tires (Michelin Super Sports aren't made in the size for the front of the 128, so this Bridgestone is said to be the finest summer only tire next to them). I wore the Bridgestones for one morning only. I was very surprised. The SO4s were very much more noisy (almost 10dB by my sound meter) than the A/S 3s. They handled somewhat quicker, but not a huge improvement. I crawled back to Discount with my tail between my legs and they put the Michelin A/S 3s back on.... I drove away appreciating them much more fully!

I can only surmise that the stiff sidewall of the OEM run flat tire gave it that instantaneous side impact feeling when cornering. Maybe I'm old, but I'll trade a bit of that for some ride and noise comfort. I discovered the hard way that the Michelin A/S 3 tire is about as good as it gets unless you are hard core and lovin' your harsh ride.

I agree with the Tire Rack suggestions to do tire research, but I always buy the tires that Tire Rack helps me choose at a local store. Discount and others will match their price, and having a local warranty is great. Paying shipping for a warranty isn't so fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.