BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

want a hitch for my '04 x3

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  MichiganApril 
#1 ·
hey everyone~
long time since I've posted! (having a baby will do that to ya ;)

Anyways...now it's a VERY gorgeous summer here in northern michigan,
and my family is very active...
I realized the one flaw my x3 has now----
NO TRAILER HITCH :(
BIG TIME disappointment.
I didn't even think of that when i bought it!
So, what are the BEST options- in actually doing a self-install
trailer hitch???
are there aftermarket ones that you can buy (because I've already
contacted the BMW dealer in town- and it's roughly 350 JUST for the attachment,
and another 150 for the hitch-ball!)
So, we will really try to make this a DIY project!
Especially since my sister is flying out visiting from Washington,
We will be making a short trip up to Mackinaw Island-- bikes only!

Please give any input/web-links you have!
Thanks!
Happy sailing :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Adding a trailer hitch is a definite DIY job. I did mine with relative ease. It takes a little time but the DIY here is pretty good:
http://www.xoutpost.com/articles/x3/body-style/16752-how-install-bmw-factory-trailer-hitch-2006-x3.html

I bought my hitch at etrailer.com There are several makes to choose from. I bought the Draw Tite as I've used them in the past and fitment was perfect:

Check them out here: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2005_BMW_X3.htm

It takes around 2 hours if I remember correctly. You have to remove the bumper cover and the rear end collision brace (which gets chucked in lieu of the hitch).

Have fun.:thumbup:

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
I'm ok paying for the OEM parts. The problem is there's only 1 dealer in the state or at least within 400 miles of me. Last I checked with the parts guy he couldn't find the hitch for me. I've got the part number in hand now so I'll try again next time I'm in town. Otherwise, ordering on line and shipping the hitch is not feasible and I'd have to buy an aftermarket hitch instead from a local dealer. But I could buy the OE wiring harness to satisfy my desire to not cut and splice into those beautiful harnesses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.