BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New bmw 7 series recall on transmission control problem

19K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Rookie2008 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Don't get all the fuzz:dunno:,on my car if i leave the car in neutral and i pull out the key i get a warning signal that the car will automatic engage to park in 30 minutes if left in neutral.You can't miss that message but if you ignore it it's your own fault.
I'll bet my 7 that there won't be a recall for this.

#3 ·
there was a story is the paper this morning about it, but its not recalled yet. i always use the ebrake on all my cars when i park.

#6 ·
Hey I think its great that people use the Park...however, yesterday my garage door thingy stopped working...I opened the door and even pushed the button to park, I saw it go into park.
I walked over about 8 feet to key in my garage code when out of the corner of my eye i catch the car coming at me and my 4 year old. Car eventually stopped when it crunched my grge door.
I get in the car and the gear symbol is lit...car is in Neutral and transmission failure code is on! Now it goes into gear for a few seconds then utomatically goes into neutral...so I can hit the gas and start moving before it dissengages and you're free wheeling.
Now...before people get their panties in a wad over the parking brake note that I use it and I'm talking about the parking shift position. If it doesn't mean park, why even have it....consider this..none of my regular analog automatic transmission vehicles magically change gears from park to neutral even if the transmission does fail... I understand completely why this is a safety issue and if you are not concerned you should be. CAR SHOULD NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES GO FROM PARK TO NEUTRAL ON ITS OWN! One day you'll forget the parking brake and you'll find your car when ghost riding without you...and hopefully it doesn't kill someone or destroy property.
This is a huge issue and while I understand not every little fault deserves a recall, this one does.
If you go to the nhtsa website you'll find that there are more than a random number of complaints regarding this issue, 50 are the ones that caused property loss or injury, with most vehicles in question having less than 50,000 miles.
If it hasn't happened to you...it may! Please assist in any way to ensure BMW addreses at least this issue. Call whomever you have to. I'm doing my part, mainly because dealer said its gonna cost $10k but what if it had hit my daughter?
I understand trannys ware out but thats not the issue...We're talking about a fairly low mileage car with an electrically unsafe default operation that causes it to shift gears on its own. My tranny engages once in a while so the mechanics are fine, its just electrical. I just can't see why this was added to the code at all? Even for the limp home mode, if any other automatic car fails while Parked they don't switch to neutral why should Bimmers of this caliber?

#9 ·
Tried but its the weekend...will try Monday...I did however file a safety concern with them and added my name to the list, I also asks for a status on the investigation. All the correspondance and documents are on the website detailing the concerns and BMW's respon so far... As far as I can gather so far, there is a recall for this issue allready in canada, there re total of 22,000 possibly 126,000 affected vehicles. NHTSA is targeting all vehicles with thi potentil problem from 2002-2007 and BMW is just dragging their feet on it so who knows.

#8 ·
wow, glads your ok. This should def be a recall.

#16 ·
Check above...I believe is already a recall in Canada, bottom line is BMw is definately aware of the problem just trying to skirt the issue as long as they can, specially now since their market shares are plummeting..they make such great cars in their lower series, I don't really understand why the 7 series are so problematic, you'd think it would be the other way around...on the other hand thats a consumers point of view...from BMw's point of view, they can get more $$ from their higher end clients?? Just my opinion...would really suck if their motivation was to make money instead of byilding quality cars? Is that sarcasm? ;)

#10 ·
And don't forget lots of 7 owners don't use their e-brake bc of 2 funny reasons:
- ebrake module is dead , broken gears
- they try not to use it often bc its gonna brake;)

I always hold a push button for 3 secs so it will engage P. but yes they should have designed it that way so every time engine is not running its in P no matter what.

#12 ·
I don't think it was the right article then, I did some digging last night and apparently the recall is already in place in canada. NHTSA is waiting for a response from BMW who in Feb 2012 asked for more time? Anyway, that's what's on their website... You're right there is no mention of a recall on their website but in all the other news outlets and links posted in other places in this forum, it says that they are "currently" still investigating...this whole thing started in Nov 2011 so I don't know how long these things take...
Please don't shoot the messenger, just going by information currently available

#15 ·
Well I just tested my car and looks like it always goes to P position once key removed.
So... Here is the recall thing:
It's a tranny issue or better to say mechatronic issue, there is one cool solenoid MV3 I believe and if it's bad it might not engage into parking but it will show you on the dash it did along with tranny error stored in memory.

So... They need to replace mechatronic module or whole tranny!!!
Will love this recall if it gets approved!!!

#18 ·
I received my recall letter today from BMW Canada, titled "Recall Campaign No. 2012-350: Roll Away".

Just as the articles state, the letter indicates software should be available March 2013.

#22 ·
I have experienced the problem where the car "goes into gear for a few seconds then utomatically goes into neutral." I had the car checked by my local BMW dealer and they found that there was no pressure in the Tranny. Therefore, all the valve seals needed to be changed. Cost, $1500.00. I have been reading up on this and its is a fairly common fault with BMW trannies, not just the 7 Series. In my case, I believe they have even upgraded one of the seals . . .7519-314 to . . . 7588-725. By the way, my car is a 2006 750i.

#23 ·
Hi, welcome to the forums, but this topic is over 3 years old. I don't think your valve seals have anything to do with the transmission unless I'm reading something wrong:dunno:. Are you experiencing any transmission issues? or smoke coming from your car an excessive oil consumption?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.