BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Yet another Run Flat tire question/dilema!

9K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  186697 
#1 ·
My 2012 Rolls Royce Ghost (BMW F01/F02 based) has Made in Germany Goodyear Run on Flat tires. While they are better than most run flats, on certain roads there is, to me, an unacceptable level of "thump thump thump", tire noise and some vibration.

I called my RR dealer, and they told me that while some customers swear by these Goodyear Run on Flats, the vast majority hates them. I am considering taking a chance on getting a flat, and installing non run flats. My dilema/question is.....

My car has Rear 285/40 R20 and the Front has 255/45 R20. There are many, many choices for the front, but basically no easily accessible rear options besides the run flats.

The dealer and our local tire shop said it is fine to install 295/40 R20 on the Rear, instead of the 285. On rare occasions they said an Audi or BMW's stability control light gets "tripped" by installing slighter wider tires, but in most cases there is no issue.

Tire shop said the 295/40 R20 tires will make my RR softer, quieter and smoother...BUT, the non run flats will wear quicker, due to the sheer weight and size of my car and that the Run flats have increased sidewall support and the non run flats do not! Also, they said the non run flats might not handle as well around a turn at higher speeds (makes no sense to me!).

The only real option for non run flats are Continental DWS. Continetal tires are roughly $240. Goodyear Run on Flats are about $500 each.

Advice, opinions?? Would you just keep the factory Goodyear run on flats or try the Continentals?? Thank you!!! :)

See less See more
#2 ·
My Pana came equipped with 19" Continental tires...only other experience with Continentals was with an `85 Audi...so far so good. The ride and handling with the Continentals are quite good. For the record, I had absolutely no problems or complaints with the Goodyear run flats that were on my 750ix.

#3 ·
Thanks Leslie. On almost every Mercedes I have had, had Continentals. No issues. The few cars that I've had, that had Michelins.....I loved them! No Michelins available anywhere near what I need for the Ghost!

#7 ·
I know you're going to hate me...I sold the car with about 11K on the odometer and the dealer who purchased it agreed with me that the tires were barely worn. It strikes me that you may be in the same position I was in regarding my 7 Series in that you have multiple cars to drive. I find this type of situation to be of some benefit and salvation when it comes to achieving good gas mileage and preserving tires!:)

#5 · (Edited)
I have Continental Run-flats on my 750i and i hate them!! it feels so rough on the backroads and i can feel huge thump,s when i am changing lane and i go ove the small radium yellow markers. I had s550 with Michelin non run flats and they were soo much more comfortable

#6 ·
The ones on my Pana aren't the run flats. Apparently, Porsche won't put run flats on any of their vehicles.

#8 ·
When I switched out of my S550 to the 7 Series I was horrified by the bumpy ride and road noise. I replaced runflats with non runflats and am blown away by the difference. If I had known about this I would have chosen the A8. Next time around I hope I have the option of non runflats with a spare. Some people don't seem to notice this but the vibration and noise really bother me

My vote is to go non runflat. You will be pleased. I keep a $20 inflation kit in the trunk for piece of mind

#10 ·
Thanks! But, was your replacment non run flats a direct same size? I am wrestling with the "what ifs', with putting on 295's instead of the 285 the wheels dictate! I SO, SO want NON run flats, but putting the "wrong" size kinda freaks me out. Do you think it's ok, no issue?

#9 ·
Thanks Leslie! 11k miles and barely worn...that's great. I had about 16k on my Range Rover with Michelin Latitude Sports...and I needed 4 new tires...and the Rover was 17 months old.

#12 ·
I'm surprised RRs are equipped with run flats, I didn't realize BMW's fanaticism with them trickled over to RR.

I got rid of mine the first week of driving mine home, our roads out here are not as bad as they are on the other coast.

I remember going to New Jersey and was driving a Lincoln Towncar rental, and even in that boat of a car, I was surprised how bad the roads were in/around Trenton.

#15 ·
Rof pos

My 2012 Rolls Royce Ghost (BMW F01/F02 based) has Made in Germany Goodyear Run on Flat tires. While they are better than most run flats, on certain roads there is, to me, an unacceptable level of "thump thump thump", tire noise and some vibration.

[snip]

Advice, opinions?? Would you just keep the factory Goodyear run on flats or try the Continentals?? Thank you!!! :)
I would not keep the Goodyear tires. I am having a host of problems with my 2012 BMW 750i xdrive that includes what I call "double dribbling" over expansion joints, frequent imbalance problems (seemingly related to the tire's inability to stay fixed on the rim) and other imperfections. The dealer blamed two sets of Goodyear LS run-on-flat tires. I have not at all heard that some owners "swear by" the Goodyear LS ROFs. I have heard only that owners swear *at* them. Now, in the interest of disclosure, my 750i xdrive is also suffering from the vibration problem and the pulling to the right. In their efforts to correct those problems, they have blamed the ROF POS tires. I'm not sure I agree the ROF POS tires are at fault for those maladies. However, not to hijack the post . . . my response is to dump the ROF altogether and find room for a mobility kit or space saver spare. However, I would not go with a different size on those rims. As sacrilegious as it sounds, you may have to go with different rims to install different size tires. I don't suggest changing the tire size. Changing the width of the tire can be dangerous and may cause the tire to stretch across the rim, I'm told. Changing the height can change your speedometer and odometer readings and may cause your tires to rub on the inside of the wheel wells. Just my two cents.

#17 ·
I would not keep the Goodyear tires. I am having a host of problems with my 2012 BMW 750i xdrive that includes what I call "double dribbling" over expansion joints, frequent imbalance problems (seemingly related to the tire's inability to stay fixed on the rim) and other imperfections. The dealer blamed two sets of Goodyear LS run-on-flat tires. I have not at all heard that some owners "swear by" the Goodyear LS ROFs. I have heard only that owners swear *at* them. Now, in the interest of disclosure, my 750i xdrive is also suffering from the vibration problem and the pulling to the right. In their efforts to correct those problems, they have blamed the ROF POS tires. I'm not sure I agree the ROF POS tires are at fault for those maladies. However, not to hijack the post . . . my response is to dump the ROF altogether and find room for a mobility kit or space saver spare. However, I would not go with a different size on those rims. As sacrilegious as it sounds, you may have to go with different rims to install different size tires. I don't suggest changing the tire size. Changing the width of the tire can be dangerous and may cause the tire to stretch across the rim, I'm told. Changing the height can change your speedometer and odometer readings and may cause your tires to rub on the inside of the wheel wells. Just my two cents.
Thank you. The tire shop did bring up the speedometer/odo issue. I really love my 20" Factory chrome wheels (and they were about an $8800.00 option!!! :-o ) I would keep the POS run on flats, before I changed to 19" wheels, factory or aftermarket, just to change tires!

#18 ·
I'm a bit shocked as well that the Ghost would have run flats because it must surely hamper the ride quality, I wonder if BMW put run flats on the Phantom as well.

I have Pirelli run flats on my car which have been decent but I know if I went with normal tires the ride would vastly improve.

#21 ·
It looks like I can special order NITTO non run flat tires, that are an exact fit for the Rolls. The tire shop said they are a excellent handling tire, but do not last very long....and Mustangs and Camaro drivers love them :-0

#23 ·
It's odd...the ONLY Nitto tires that are the size of the Rolls Royce, are listed on their website as Truck/SUV. I have a feeling, I like my Goodyear Run on Flats more than Nitto tires. Nitto has very, very mixed reviews!!!:yikes:

#26 ·
Can't stand the run-flats. I will be switching next season to something non RF.

Just last week I was in Rapid City, SD, when driver's side rear tire went "flat". Of course it was non repairable as it was a tear, not a puncture. The problem....not a single tire that size in the whole town. Had to have one overnighted for 150-total bill $707. Lost a day of vacation, and had to drive 900 miles in 10 hours to make a meeting back in Nevada. It worked out, but I was not a happy camper. I assume I'm not the only one that time=money, and losing time to no spare is making me consider other brands. :thumbdwn:

While I'm on the rant, also had a flat on my 6 this spring. Northern NV is literally empty country. I was only 40 miles from home, so figured I'd just go slow like the book says and I'd be fine. Tire sidewall separated from the heat after 20 miles and had to get a tow anyway. So lost both the tire and a 300 tow, when I could have just done the tow and fixed the tire. Was just a puncture. :thumbdwn:

Sick and tired of RF's, and living where I do, a spare is a necessity.

#27 ·
Can't stand the run-flats. I will be switching next season to something non RF.

Just last week I was in Rapid City, SD, when driver's side rear tire went "flat". Of course it was non repairable as it was a tear, not a puncture. The problem....not a single tire that size in the whole town. Had to have one overnighted for 150-total bill $707. Lost a day of vacation, and had to drive 900 miles in 10 hours to make a meeting back in Nevada. It worked out, but I was not a happy camper. I assume I'm not the only one that time=money, and losing time to no spare is making me consider other brands. :thumbdwn:
Agree with you on the RF. Instead of spending over $700, I would have purchased a non RF tire and considered that the start of the 4 tire replacement.

Good opportunity to reduce the aggravation ;)

#35 ·
My first set of Pirellis lasted 20K miles. The second set of Pirellis were worn enough at 13K miles that I decided to upgrade to Continental non run flats. I am happy, but the lack of a spare does trouble me.

#29 ·
i can't speak for luxo/cruisers, but 5 years ago on my porsche twin turbo I couldn't stand Continentals....I thought they were cheap, wore tread too fast, but understood the German connection. I switched to much more expensive tire and almost instantly (after wearing in the tread) felt a massive improvement. I told myself never again on the Continentals.....But that was more performance orientated issues (and a while ago), so not sure i'm much of help on this one.

#31 · (Edited)
I traded in my Audi RS4 for the 750. Drove it for 5 years and 70k as DD, the RS4 did not have a spare (that space was occupied by a battery) and the tires were high-performance 275x30x19 non-RF. Did not have a single puncture even on long x-country trips. So I'm personally not worried to go non-RF again whatsoever. If once in a blue moon a problem happens, I'll deal with this. There is always roadside assistance if necessary as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.