BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

ED Journey: Over the Hills & Through the Woods

55K views 194 replies 54 participants last post by  mjadala 
#1 · (Edited)
It took long to post my report because the drive I used to update my journal somehow got corrupted twice and the hard drive I used for my pics had the same issue. It took some time to put everything back together and then re-type what could not be recovered. I am accepting critiques from my fellow shutterbugs for improving my photographer skills. This explains why I differentiate when my girlfriend's camera is used. None of the pics have been photoshopped for this reason.
My write-up takes you from order to drop-off.
Enjoy

So here it is:

ED Journey: Over the Hills and Through the Woods

Co-starring: HU '02 as "The NJ/VA Crimson Bandit"
Co-starring: HU '03 as "The Quad Cities Queen"
Starring: 2008 E92 335i as Cooper "The Twin-Turbo Navigator"

Directed by Bimmernupe
Produced by It's About the Journey Productions

Edited by Self Built PC

In Association with
A Whole Lotta Miles, But Not Enough Time

Photography by
Nikon D80
18-200mm VR
12-24mm f/4 wide angle
50mm f/1.4
SB-800 Speedlight
Marumi filters & circular polarizer
Girlfriend's Canon PowerShot A540

See less See more
#81 ·
Wow. Thanks for a great effort. Very nice and detailed report. :thumbup:

Shoulda gotten the disk from beewang, at least that way you could blame him if something went wrong. :rofl:

#82 ·
:rofl::rofl:

#83 ·
Wow! The Mother of All Trip Reports. Easily a candidate for the nonexistent Bimmerfest ED Tolstoy Length Award. Very nice pictures and a sharp color on the car, too.

How did you remember all the detail? Take notes? Carry a recorder? Have a photographic memory?

It's no wonder your computer spit up, and nobody should cite the 12 hour rule. You can barely read it all in 12 hours.

Awesome effort. A+

#86 ·
Thanks for the kudos.
I did meet the 12 hour rule. The Welt section in this report was what I filed in my 12 hour rule report.
I kept a journal in Word while on my trip. But even when I was peicing everything back together the trip was still fresh in my memory.

#84 ·
Excellent Write Up

This is what I call a write-up.:thumbup: Extensive and Detailed! Great Trip! Reports like this make my ED wait even harder.:)

#88 ·
Enjoy the journey

This is what I call a write-up.:thumbup: Extensive and Detailed! Great Trip! Reports like this make my ED wait even harder.:)
It will be memorable.:thumbup:

#85 ·
Another "Wow!" from me.

Absolutely fabulous report! You managed to capture the atmosphere so well, I feel like I was along for the ride. I totally enjoyed reading the whole thing.

Thanks so much for taking the time to get it all posted.

#87 ·
Another "Wow!" from me.

Absolutely fabulous report! You managed to capture the atmosphere so well, I feel like I was along for the ride. I totally enjoyed reading the whole thing.

Thanks so much for taking the time to get it all posted.
I live to give back to the community.:D

#90 ·
:rofl::rofl: Yeah I didn't think it was long enough either.

#93 ·
Bravo, bimmernupe, Bravo! Wife and I are going July 3rd for July 5th pickup. Will be touring Dachau, Fussen and Lake Como as part of the trip, so I really appreciate your writeup and pictures on those locations. Great tips at the end as well, particularly as I am a Bank of America customer and we have 4 nights in Paris.

I'll have to tie the wife to the chair and have her go through your post!! She's a white knuckle passenger as well. :rofl:

#94 ·
OMG! This is the best ED report ever! This'll help fill in the time nicely. I've never been good at keeping a journal but this thread's gonna push me to keep one, at least during the upcoming trip. Or I hope you don't mind if I used your's as a template :D

Congrats on the car, and thanks for the great write up!

PS: I upgraded to the Canon 40D and a new lens so have been playing around with it too, although the learning curve isn't as steep coming from the 10D.

#95 ·
Take what ya need:rofl:. If you need any info on what ever let me know. And thanks for the kudos.

#96 ·
Hope it is OK now to post? Quite a narrative and thanks for the effort. What is with the billboards in front ot the Duomo in Milan? Love that Barbera Red with the saddle interior. Makes the E92 look quite regal. Thanks for incorporating various of the creative shots. Is the Nikon D80 a film or a digital SLR? Looks like you had a memorable trip.:thumbup:

#97 ·
:rofl::rofl:Its good to know that my fellow 'festers are so patient.

1. The billboards are showing the public what restoration work is being done.
2. Thanks for the compliments. Almost everyone I meet gives a :thumbup: I'm glad I stuck with the change I made.
3. The D80 is a digital SLR.

It has been a few months and I can remember every minute of it.

#100 ·
Second round of applause...

Had to give you a second round of applause, I literally spent my entire Saturday morning reading your trip report in detail and making notes to my ED itinerary, rechecking all my reservations, etc. It was well worth the wait while you posted...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

#101 · (Edited)
Had to give you a second round of applause, I literally spent my entire Saturday morning reading your trip report in detail and making notes to my ED itinerary, rechecking all my reservations, etc. It was well worth the wait while you posted...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I'm glad everyone approves and that your Saturday was not viewed as a waste:D. My original effort crashed and burned last evening. So I stayed up all night and started around 0330 since that is when I knew the least amount of members would be online. Now I am trying to stay awake so my sleep clock doesn't get screwed up.
I kind of played a scenario through my head of the reaction some people may have had when they saw please wait to post: PLEASE WAIT TO POST, who does he think he is. YEAH, who does he think he is.........HERTZ:rofl::rofl:.

#102 ·
WOW! I am utterly exhausted! Well done :)

#103 ·
I was wondering whether you would have trouble getting the car from your dealer on re-delivery, until I realized you did a PCD.

Any issues with the dealer on your return, or was the contract problem forgotten?

#104 · (Edited)
There was an issue with one of the managers when I returned. I went in a day or two after I returned to try to resolve the situation amicably. They tried to hold the $$$ I paid for the warranties hostage until I signed a new contract although I had an "I owe" from them for the $$$. Then he accused me in front of other customers of illegally driving a car I had no right to. I left and let my attorney hash it out.
I found out later from my a friend of mine, whom is a service mgr at another Passport store, that this guy had always been an ass and they were not surprised he would resort to intimidation.
It got to the point were the VP of the dealership had to call me to get things resolved. But by the time that happened, the damage was done. My friends and family that are planning to do ED will be recommended to either Adrian, Irv or Ricki.

#106 ·
I am impressed!

I was planning on making just a brief, routine check of the ED board to see if anyone had any news about re-delivery from Otello. That is when I started reading your post. It was like reading a novel that you could not put down! All of my schdule for today will have to be pushed back by an hour. You should consider selling you ED story to one of the car magaizines for publication. Roundel readers would eat this up. I felt like I was in the car with you at the "Ring". (I was real glad we made that right hander after going wieghtless.)

Excellent write up of an excellent trip. As a D200 owner I loved your photography. As a recent barbara red purchaser, I especially loved you car pictures. As a Passport/Jörn customer, sorry to hear about the contract fuss.

Remembering Europe has made a great start to my day. Thanks for sharing.

#107 ·
I was planning on making just a brief, routine check of the ED board to see if anyone had any news about re-delivery from Otello. That is when I started reading your post. It was like reading a novel that you could not put down! All of my schdule for today will have to be pushed back by an hour. You should consider selling you ED story to one of the car magaizines for publication. Roundel readers would eat this up. I felt like I was in the car with you at the "Ring". (I was real glad we made that right hander after going wieghtless.)

Excellent write up of an excellent trip. As a D200 owner I loved your photography. As a recent barbara red purchaser, I especially loved you car pictures. As a Passport/Jörn customer, sorry to hear about the contract fuss.

Remembering Europe has made a great start to my day. Thanks for sharing.
I am surprised by all the people saying that they sat and read this through in one sitting. You lucky guy, a D200!!! I can't get over how good that color makes the car look. As to Passport, I would have remained a customer, even recommended them to friends and family, but when they accused me of basically stealing the car, causing this issue with the contract and treated me with such disrespect; I will take my money elsewhere. Again Joern was awesome, but the two managers I dealt with are asses.

#109 ·
:rofl::rofl: My girlfriend happened to be sitting next me when I was reading your post. She is glad someone finally acknowledged that she was a participant on the trip.

Thanks for the kudos.

#110 ·
"I can’t remember where on the road I was, but there was a section that crested and the Alfa left the road surface. I saw this and came off the throttle and Cooper did not leave the road, but I could feel that it barely held contact. As I crested, there was a quick right turn and I saw the line the Alfa took. I downshifted and hit the brakes HARD feeling the ABS kick in before the turn-in and accelerated through turn as my reaction to the turn was a second late. You could hear the tire screaming for dear life."

I like this part the best. Real drama.

#111 ·
"I can't remember where on the road I was, but there was a section that crested and the Alfa left the road surface. I saw this and came off the throttle and Cooper did not leave the road, but I could feel that it barely held contact. As I crested, there was a quick right turn and I saw the line the Alfa took. I downshifted and hit the brakes HARD feeling the ABS kick in before the turn-in and accelerated through turn as my reaction to the turn was a second late. You could hear the tire screaming for dear life."

I like this part the best. Real drama.
I glad there was a run-off area at this turn.:rofl:

#113 ·
I just looked that up and it probably was.

#117 ·
Awesomely nice kudos:rofl:

#119 ·
Yeah man! I just had a 3rd ED through your post, thank you. :) You said it would be awhile coming because of the large number of photos and substantial contents, but it was well worth the wait. What a treat...

I'm glad to see you enjoyed your camera and I can certainly see the D80 classes paid off. :thumbup:

A word of advice - Benadryl or Dramamine works well for Stelvio and other similar roads. :)

#120 ·
What was funny is that she was pretty much ok during the day driving. It was just doing Stelvio at night. But I will definitely keep that tidbit in mind.

#121 ·
Which pic are you talking about?

#122 ·
Hi Bimmernupe, I also read your posting at one sitting and relived a lot of my ED experience. My wife and I had a great time as well, and your keen observations of many of the sights and happenings brought it all back again.
A couple of things:
Ang is indeed lovely, the smile and the killer almond eyes say the view was as nice inside the car as it was through the window. So, um, any thoughts of perhaps her becoming Mrs. Bimmernupe?
"Arbeit macht frei" on the gate at Dachau means "Work will make you free". It's the last thing millions read as they entered the camps.
Thanks for your post. Oh, I'm also an amateur photog. Your pictures are great.

#123 ·
Glad you enjoyed the story. Yes, we are working in that direction. i just told her that my thread has gone from being about the trip and car, to being solely about her:rofl:. And I was wondering exactly what it meant.

Again thanks for the kudos.

#124 ·
for that one last Radler
LOL, that is the one and only bad experience I had on my ED trip. I was in Austria during Oktoberfest and spent several days soaking up the local customs in Salzburg. One wild evening we decided to have Chinese and that's where I met Radler. I speak a little German, enough to get by, buy dinner, make reservations, small talk etc. However this restaurant was run by recently arrived Chinese and their German was rudimentary. Their Mandarin was excellent for all I knew. I sure didn't speak any.
Anyway, as you say, when in Rome do as the Romans, so I'm having a beer with dinner, lunch and occasionally, breakfast. I see this new brand of beer on the menu, Radler, and naturally I have to try it. My gracious host was unable to tell me anything comprehensible about the beer, but I'm game. WTF, it's horse piss or something! Just what is that stuff? I think Radler is a category and not a brand. Could be half beer, half lemonade, and half distilled bratwurst. That adds up to 150 percent awful! You liked it?
Please notice that your gf was not mentioned once in this posting. Well, not until now.:angel:

#125 · (Edited)
You might have had a bad one and yes I believe Radler is a concoction of bier and lemonade. In Hamburg they put Sprite in. It was great.

#126 ·
bimmernupe, your excellent and detailed report just made the wait until June excruciating! =) Thanks for the time and effort you took. The fun that you and Ang had on the trip really comes through. If my husband and I experience half that, I'll consider it to be a *great* vacation!

#129 ·
Try if you experience 1/4 you will have a blast. I don't know what it is. I have been to Europe before, but travelling Europe in a car you purchased on the roads it was designed to be driven on just adds that something to the trip.

#127 ·
A lot of ED trip reports involve lengthy mention of the Autobahn and driving at speed, etc. Seems a lot of them are written by people who never went to the drag strip or flew in a small plane. For me the Autobahn was just another road, not even comparable to the American interstate highway system. You want to go really fast for a really long time? Head out to Kansas, Texas or better yet any road between CA and Las Vegas. That's driving! Sure there are LEGAL opportunities to drive at speed in Germany but the unlimited sections are usually not very long. Then you're doing 80kph again. I've done a steady buck 20 for hours out west.
For me the highlight was driving in the Austrian Alps. Switchbacks, dropoffs, steep ascents and dives. Awesome scenery.
I also had Nurburgring on my schedule but after the four hour drive there it proceeded to drizzle continuously until the track officially closed for the day. How depressing. Couldn't qualify for the ring sticker for my bumper. Hope you got one, that's status! The old saying about getting there is half the fun was wrong. Getting there was all the fun.
What are your feelings about mountain driving versus the Autobahn? I know it's exhiliarating to peg the speedometer, been there, done that. But the 335 was made for the mountains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.