BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

540i CPS replacement notes

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RPW44 
#1 ·
2001 540i 6spd manual. SES (emission related) light came on during normal driving.

I have INPA running on a PC using a USB to OBD II cable. Read the error memory (see the text image below) and got a 114 code - Camshaft sensor bank 2 (driver's side). If there is a way to use INPA to get the OBD Pxxxx codes directly I didn't find it, but it was easy to search TIS or Bentley's to find 114 equates to P0345, P0347 or P0348. All indicate a fault with the bank 2 CPS. I looked up the part number on realoem.com - 12147539166. The part fits bank 1 and bank 2 on all E39 540s built after 08/1998.

I did my research here and noticed mostly discussions about which CPS to buy. The opinions favor using the genuine BMW part (about $120). Armed with the BMW part number I found that site sponsor rmeuropean has an OE listed part for about $80 http://www.rmeuropean.com/search.aspx?keyword=12147539166. They also have the CPS o-ring for under $1 (part # 12141748398). This is the best deal I found for a part listed as OE and decided to give it a try. There is also an eBay listing for the genuine BMW part for $97.50. That's the best I saw for the 'genuine' part.

The pictures below show the part package and the new CPS vs the old CPS. The old CPS was original to the car with a date code of May 2001. The part package also shows (poorly) the top of the new part with wording scuffed off - I assume it probably said BMW. Also, notice that the barrel on the original CPS is narrow for about 2/3 of its length, but the new part has a full 17mm barrel. The new one fits OK.

Replacing the driver side CPS on the V8 it about as simple as it gets. I did make sure to oil the o-ring and spread some blue locktite on the CPS bolt. I have driven the car about 15 miles now since the replacement and all is good. I will update the post if any problems occur.

Text Font Line Document
Electronic device

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, if you still check this forum can you give me an update on that new CPS?
I replaced my bank 1 CPS last night, almost had a heart attack when I removed the old one and saw how much thinner the barrel piece is - BUT the new one does fit and lock in. Only driven 15 miles so far, no lights, and I have regained solid & consistent power thru the gas pedal (that was only issue along w/ SES light). I'm still kinda nervous though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.