BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Folding Door Mirrors

20K views 77 replies 37 participants last post by  MarkThomae 
#1 ·
I've just returned from vacation in Europe, and the 2 cars I was in most were a Merc C Class and the new Range Rover Evoque. On both of them the door mirrors fold in when the car is locked, and reverse when unlocked. I also believe this is standard functionality on the F30 in Europe.

So why do BMW USA not allow this feature? What is the logic behind it?

I know there's some way through coding it can be activated, just wondering why it's not standard?

#5 ·
I like the fact that we can push a button to fold and unfold the mirrors. We have a somewhat narrow two car garage, and like that we can fold the mirrors prior to entering the garage. Same is true exiting the garage, keeping them folded until we are out of the garage. I would not like it if they were to only fold or unfold when locking or unlocking the car. I think some new Volvo's do this. However, I don't see a problem if it is something that can be programmed, just don't lose the push button option. It is a function we look for when looking at new cars.

FYI, I have noticed that the mirrors will automatically unfold when you reach a certain speed (20 mph or so).

#25 ·
Its nice to read a post on the subject from some one that knows what they are talking about," 20 mph or so" without the gibberish or B/S.
cheers
vern

#15 ·
2013 3 series it's a standard feature - or it appears to be when I look at my list of features of my '13 in production.

As for on-off fold/unfold, I'd rather a button or a speed thanks (say over 8 mph).
If you don't open the mirrors by pressing the button they will open automatically once you hit about 25mph...

#16 ·
I just checked the F30_DOT_FINAL.pdf doc for the 2013's and it mentions Power-adjustable folding exterior mirrors with automatic-dimming function as standard. Does this mean the power folder?? I'm placing my order tomorrow and not planning on the prem pkg but do want the power folding mirrors. Can anyone without premium package confirm? Dealer will get back to me in the morning, but I seem to be telling him more than he tells me :confused:

#33 ·
I am actually on the opposite side of the scale. Given the number of SUVs, etc on the road I find myself blinded, particularly my side view mirrors, by bright headlights which make it difficult to see details anyway.

My current car has an auto dimming rear view mirror, and honestly I find I can see detail just fine :dunno:

#38 · (Edited)
I am actually on the opposite side of the scale. Given the number of SUVs, etc on the road I find myself blinded, particularly my side view mirrors, by bright headlights which make it difficult to see details anyway.

My current car has an auto dimming rear view mirror, and honestly I find I can see detail just fine :dunno:
Agree 100%. I also have an auto dimming rear view on my current car and it works great, wished that I was able to get this feature on the side mirrors. Now, with the F30, I can.

Although, it would be nice to be able to turn it off. The driver should have the last word on this.

#49 ·
I have power folding mirrors and comfort access, folding the mirrors is part of convenience closing: if I keep my finger on the knob after locking the car mirrors fold in the manner any open window closes. I assume it will work if you keep the lock button depressed on the key fob

#51 ·
I'm getting it coded soon as well. I nearly always do it manually when I park right now, including in my garage so there's more room to walk through when 2 cars are parked in there.

Another advantage is if you're not sure you locked the car you can just look and if mirrors are folded you can see it's locked.

#58 ·
I don't know as far as what's currently standard equipment and in the optional packages, however, power-folding mirrors are specifically part of the SA430 Auto-dimming mirrors option code (not Comfort Access as many assume).

#59 ·
Thanks for confirming that power folding mirrors are part of standard options for the 2013 model. Did you receive your car and confirmed that first hand?

The fact that it comes with the dimming mirrors and that the dimming mirrors are now standard is one more hint.

Regarding some previous messages, it always amazes me the number of "experts" on the Internet who state things as facts when they are not! Good job on giving this a reality check.

#61 ·
Yes, received my car about 2 weeks ago and that was one of the first things I checked. I had to point it out to my CA because he also mentioned I needed the prem. pkg for that option. I was pleasantly surprised since I needed it due to a tight garage.

#64 ·
I have it too on my 2013 ... no premium package.

#65 ·
Hi folks, I just got a F32 with premium, technology and comfort packages, I keep the remote close button depressed for a long time and the side mirror are not retracting. This feature comes standard according to this thread. Am I missing something? Maybe I have to enable this feature in IDrive somewhere? If that's the case, how it's done? Thanks!

#67 ·
I did enable the mirrors to auto fold on my E90, but it is relatively unnecessary in NA. First, any snow/ice buildup will cause them to not open, and potentially risk damaging the plastic gearing inside. Also, our parking spaces tend to be wide enough that the mirrors aren't an issue. While it looked cool for the first while, it was rather pointless, and I disabled it a while.

#68 ·
So any idea how much this coding costs, to have the side mirrors auto-fold/unfold when engine is turned on and off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.