BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

SOS Locked out of 03 X5, key fob broken, lock cylinder broken.... HELP!

20K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  wyoMom307 
#1 ·
Key Fob broken... been using lock on driver door to get in. Weather has been very cold. Went out to open car this morning, key will turn but has no resistance and does not unlock the doors. Thinking the cylinder is broken. Called roadside assistance and they sent a tow truck driver out to try to break in. No luck. He gave up after an hour. Have heard about a lever on the back hatch, but can't find any info on how to find or engage it. PLEASE HELP! I have no way to get to work tomorrow. Thanks guys! :dunno:

#4 · (Edited)
The latch to open the tail gate when there's no electrical power is INSIDE the vehicle.

Have you tried spraying some DE-ICER into the lock cylinder? If not, do you have some WD40 (with the thin red straw)?

The door lock cylinder is designed to free wheel spin when it thinks something other than the key is being used to gain entry. If it rained or snowed (or any "wet" weather conditions occurred) then ambient temps dropped down below freezing...this may have caused your door lock cylinder to free wheel spin when pressure was applied to turn the cylinder. Again, try thawing the cylinder if below freezing and you may be able to get the lock cylinder to turn correctly.

#8 ·
Key Fob broken... been using lock on driver door to get in. Weather has been very cold. Went out to open car this morning, key will turn but has no resistance and does not unlock the doors. Thinking the cylinder is broken. Called roadside assistance and they sent a tow truck driver out to try to break in. No luck. He gave up after an hour. Have heard about a lever on the back hatch, but can't find any info on how to find or engage it. PLEASE HELP! I have no way to get to work tomorrow.
When the keyless entry system on these cars goes bad it's very important to get it fixed as soon as possible because the lock cylinder on the drivers door is not meant to be used daily. It is basically there in case the battery is drained and the car can not be unlocked electronically. The same goes for the lock cylinder, when it breaks it should be replaced as soon as possible. When both of these systems are broken at the same time it can be quiet a hassle as you have come to find out. Probably the easiest way to get in the car at this point is to put a brick through the window. Next easiest would be to drill out the broken lock cylinder with a 3/8" drill bit. It's not too bad since it's made out of crummy pot metal. Then insert a long flat blade screw driver and turn the white socket on the door lock actuator to unlock the car (see step 4 on this web page http://www.bmwgm5.com/lock_cylinder.htm)

#9 ·
Had to have it towed to Co's BMW in Loveland, CO (250 miles away) they couldn't even get in to it, had to break the window! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!?? Had to pay for a new window, the lock cylinder, and a new fob. Now they call me and tell me that the fob worked at first, but now it doesn't want to work. And they want another $120 for an hour to troubleshoot it. NO THANK YOU! I am going to get it tomorrow, get it home and figure it out myself! I COULD HAVE BROKEN THE DANG WINDOW MYSELF!!! So much for professionals. UGH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.