BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Intro: With some pics!

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  djcwardog 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Im new here and hoping to find some DIY support and provide when I can. I blindly purchased a 645i about 2 months ago. Curious impulsive buy, I didnt like it at first but its growing on me.

I do things backwards and started my research after the purchase so i was shocked to find that most owners of this car do not DIY and are all about 22 inch rims. This forum has a least the strongest DIY community for this chassis of all the others I've checked out.
Coming from the M3 forums where the majority DIY was a shock to my system when I started to look into ideas for this car.

Anyways on to pics a few of my old and current BMWs. The 6 is Bone stock except for wheels and divine Pilot super sports. By the end of September it should be on coils, and by early 2014 supercharged!

See less See more
#5 ·
Get your hands on a good K+ DCAN cable and a copy of BMW standard tools (INPA, NCSexpert, Tool32 and WinKFP).

Learn how to use them and you'll be a master Exx chassis DIYer in no time.

PS: If by adaptive light module you mean SMC (stepper motor controller) you can use one from any pre-LCI 5 or 6 series (xenon of course). They are cheap on eBay. You'll need it coded unless you obtain the aforementioned tools.

#6 ·
Get your hands on a good K+ DCAN cable and a copy of BMW standard tools (INPA, NCSexpert, Tool32 and WinKFP).

Learn how to use them and you'll be a master Exx chassis DIYer in no time.

PS: If by adaptive light module you mean SMC (stepper motor controller) you can use one from any pre-LCI 5 or 6 series (xenon of course). They are cheap on eBay. You'll need it coded unless you obtain the aforementioned tools.
I already had the unit replaced , but will definitly look into the DIY diagnostics and coding tools. It seems these cars are really slaves to coding.

#7 ·
As for DIY, if you are looking to figure out how something needs to be done keep a close eye on the e60 5 Series fora. These share a lot of components with the 5 Series.
You should also have a copy of TIS, surprised if you don't already have it, TIS is like BMW's own "How To" manual that the guys in the dealer workshops use.
As others have mentioned you definitely need a coding & diagnostics solution, there are or or two threads on here giving ideas on that.

#8 ·
Awesome cars and photography. Look forward to seeing how you transform your 6.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#10 ·
Welcome. Some stunning pictures is a great way to properly come on board!

You are right about the DIY, but that is the consequence of buying the lowest production vehicle that BMW sells. The 3 series does on average around 400,000 units per year, the 6 does around 10,000 per year. Guess which one has a larger community of young folks and older die-hards tearing it apart and modding!

Like Rebel mentioned, the 550 and 750 models have some crossover info to our vehicle because they share the N62 engine.

#12 ·
+1. Welcome aboard!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#14 ·
Nice!

Welcome - and I approve of your color choice! Not only do we share the 550i V8, we also share many electrical parts - when coding we even use the E60 menu in NCSExpert. So, lots of good info on the 5 series pages... I am having fun with mine for sure!

I like your wheels as well. I have thought about going to 18" staggered on my Sport optioned car. This is what my earlier 550i Sport ran and it was a solid combination of handling and ride. However, I also really like my stock ellipticals, a minority view as many think them to appear dated. I think they look like time trial bike racing wheels - cool! I wonder what a set of retro-looking Hurst 5-spokers would do...

You will likely want to check all the coding fun we are having. I am collecting parts right now to do a CIC retrofit. I need to find Tool32... I have INPA, DIS, NCSExpert, WinFKP, etc...through BMTechnic + their cable.

Anyway, this is a great forum and these cars provide a good bit of satisfaction in the drive - and in the hands-on repair/upgrades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.