BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E36 official firearms thread.

32K views 422 replies 37 participants last post by  Rich_Jenkins 
#1 ·
We talk about firearms in the OT thread an awful lot, and while it's OT to BMW, it gets talked about frequently enough to probably use it's own thread.

SO: the main purpose will be to openly discuss and share photos of and about firearms. This IS NOT to be a political thread, we all have our opinions about it and this ain't the place for it, so check it at the door. This is going to be a friendly thread about reviews, acquisitions, advice, and general discussion.

Okay so there will be some ground rules

• No attempts to buy or sell any firearm, ammo, or components
  • keep politics to an abosolute minimum
  • no fanboy circlejerks
  • do not post pictures or videos of you or anyone else engaging in risky or otherwise illegal behavior
  • always use proper safe firearm handling techniques
  • do not take any legal advice from here, we're not lawyers and thusly not liable for anything stupid or illegal that you or someone may or may not do
  • it is okay to post pictures from hunts, but no blood/gore please
  • use common sense when posting, if it seems wrong, it probably is.
This list will be amended as time goes on I'm sure but these are a few of the basics that immediately come to mind.

With all that, let us get started?

See less See more
#2 ·
I for one, can't wait to watch how this thread progresses, and I am putting my opinion in now: This thread will be closed by moderators, with at least 1 ban.

#5 ·
I admit I do have the feeling that i have a million sets of eyes on me right now.
I just love blowing **** up :)
why do you think I was a combat engineer for 4 year? Essayons. :thumbup:

I think that if we keep it clean and responsible there should be no reason for the thread to be locked. Granted if someone comes in here acting stupid and evokes the ire of the ban hammer, i'm sure this'll be locked tighter than a bank vault.

#4 ·
Now, on topic for the off topic: I'm looking to get a handgun. I think I want something that will be useful as home defense, will be fun to practice shoot with, and won't have terribly expensive ammunition. When I did my research (3 years ago, before leaving VA) my conclusion was the Glock 23.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Keep in mind I've never owned a hand gun, though I have fired several rifles and shotguns. Even killed a few beasts in my day.

#7 ·
Now, on topic for the off topic: I'm looking to get a handgun. I think I want something that will be useful as home defense, will be fun to practice shoot with, and won't have terribly expensive ammunition. When I did my research (3 years ago, before leaving VA) my conclusion was the Glock 23.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Keep in mind I've never owned a hand gun, though I have fired several rifles and shotguns. Even killed a few beasts in my day.
I happen to carry a G23 every day, I enjoy it. pros are it's size and endless aftermarket, cons, .40 ammo gets expensive. the G19 is the exact same gun but it uses the 9x19 round which is a lot cheaper to shoot at the range. There's an ongoing debate about .40 vs 9mm and the effectiveness and in short, .40 doesn't do a whole lot more, but it's a little bigger, and hits a little harder and has a lot more felt recoil than the 9mm.

for all around range/EDC use the G19 has my vote. unfortunately for you, they're on national backorder :rofl:

#6 ·
Shall we start off with guns owned?

Marlin .22 Bolt Action with Nikon scope for wussies and little girls to learn to shoot.
MAS-36 WWII French rifle, never fired dropped once. 7.5mm
K98 8 mm German Mauser WWII rifle, with Eagle and Nazi markings still attached (I'm not a Nazi, they are more collectible that way)
Japanese Arisaka 7.7mm WWII "Last Ditch" rifle
Japanese 28 gauge single round shotgun
Winchester 12 gauge pump
And a Beretta 92FS Stainless with Tritium night sights.

#9 ·
Sure.

My collection currently consists of of
  • Glock 23 Generation 4. 3.5lb trigger, extended slide stop, factory sights.
  • Remington 870 express, 12ga. all synthetic
  • Remintion 700 SPS .308 Nikon ProStaff BDC 3x9x40, Harris bipod, all synthetic stock with X-mark trigger and heavy barrel
  • Ishapore 2A1 7.62x54 NATO (Indian service rifle based on the Lee Enfield SMLE)

#8 · (Edited)
#12 ·
I hate Beretta and I hate the 92FS, but it is a reliable firearm, and is available to civies in 9mm or .40 caliber.

love me some HK pistols but they are too rich for my blood.
the 10mm Glock is a monster to be reckoned with, and there is not a single wild hog in existence that doesn't fear the 10mm.

also as a former Canadian military member, what service pistol were you all issued? Browning Hi-Power?

#10 ·
Yea that's the conclusion I came up with back in 2010. The 9mm packs a punch, but maybe not on a drugged out whacko?

I'm open to other brands, too. I'm not loyal to glock by any means, though I've heard that since they're very foolproof, they make a good gun for a first timer.

#11 ·
I have also always like the Sig Sauer P226. Available in either 9mm or .40. Good gun, nice for CC too.
But I have always wanted a Rock Island .45 ACP in OD Green. I loved that gun from the moment I saw it. Just need an extra $500.

#181 ·
Jon, be careful with the Rock Island 1911s. Some are very good guns but I have seen a few which make me question their quality control. If you get a good one, it will be great. If you get a bad one, you will not be pleased. :thumbup:

#13 · (Edited)
Currently I only have a WWII era Winchester Trench Gun. (Model 1912). And even that is in storage at a museum until I get around to getting my PAL and a firearms vault. In this rental townhouse, there really is no need for me to have a firearm on site.

Edit, yes I qualified marksman with the Hi-power. Was never a fan though. We also had the Sig 225, but from my experience that was mainly for MPs.

EDIT II:

Evidently we're in the marketfor a new GSP (General Service Pistol)

http://blogs.ottawacitizen.com/2011...l-to-replace-browning-and-sig-sauer-handguns/

#14 ·
I just read on a different forum that GB just officially dumped the Hi-power for the G17. I have no idea if Canada will follow suit being that you guys use the same weaponry for the most part.

The US is currently fielding a bunch of off the shelf pistols to replace the Beretta that we use, one of the contenders, is also Glock. I believe that Springfield and and Smith & Wesson are also fielding a polymer pistol as well.

#15 ·
Many moons ago, my maternal grandfather had a Ruger revolver in .22 LR. Absofreakinglutely BEAUTIFUL firearm. Accurate. Perfectly machined. Wonderfully balanced. I would LOVE to get my hands on one again.

#18 ·
Those are NICE. A friend of mine has the smaller Walther, I'm unsure of the model but it's a 9mm and it's loud, it kicks, and its really surprisingly accurate.

#19 ·
That Walther looks sharp!

Still kind of a noob with handguns and all I've shot are 9mms.

Don't care for the Glocks feel in my hand much. Also didn't like not having a manual safety.

Shot a CZ 9mm rental at the range after some trouble with the 92FS, hated it. Odd balance, uncomfortable ergonomics.

Still like the feel of the 92FS in my hand. Feels like it was made for me.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

#21 ·
That Walther looks sharp!

Still kind of a noob with handguns and all I've shot are 9mms.

Don't care for the Glocks feel in my hand much. Also didn't like not having a manual safety.

Shot a CZ 9mm rental at the range after some trouble with the 92FS, hated it. Odd balance, uncomfortable ergonomics.

Still like the feel of the 92FS in my hand. Feels like it was made for me.

this is what it's all about. Comfort. If you feel uncomfortable using it, there's no reason to use it. Which is why fanboys drive me nuts. The 92FS is a great handgun, personally I don't like DA hammer fired semi autos but I can't refute that they arn't really really durable guns.

You ever order that part BTW?

#20 ·
#23 ·
I did....it's sitting in the box waiting for me to get around to it. Epic technology issues lately at my dads office + work stuff + car stuff has pushed it to the back burner though. :(

#28 ·
In the order I acquired them:

Walther PK380, love the way it shoots and it fits my hand great, but I wish it wasn't half plastic.

J.C. Higgins model 583-1101 bolt action 20ga shotgun, fantastic gun, used it with slugs to keep my freezer full and it's more accurate than I ever would have believed a shotgun could be.

Traditions Buck stalked pro .50 cal muzzleloader, it's exactly what you would expect a cheap Wal-Mart muzzleloader to be, but I got it for the promise of $50 worth of labor at an undecided date in the future so who cares

Springfield Model 1903, made in 1908 with finger groove stock, but some ass hat cut some of the wood underneath the barrel off.

J.C. Higgins Model 31 .22 with factory Bushnell scope. awesome little tube fed semi auto, got it primarily because the Springfield is too expensive to shoot as often as I want to shoot.

In the nearish future I'm hoping to get a Ruger Mini 14.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

#30 ·
a 3.5# trigger on a glock?! Ken, i used to think youre crazy. Now i can see your nuts.

Ruger 10/22 - Most fun you can have with a firearm that isn't a grenade launcher (though i wish i could say i could really compare).
Ruger SR9 - Range Workhorse and winter carry.
Sig P238 Extreme - The little engine that could. For summer and form fitting attire.

Been semi-seriously looking at a Rem 700 in .22-250 and SR1911. Was looking for semi auto rifle (mini-14), but not at gouging prices.

Yes I'm a ruger fanboy, but the p238 dominated the ruger compacts.

#31 ·
One of my friends has a P238, it's awesome, you could make that thing disappear in a speedo.... Not that you would want too, or that I tried :reps:
I'm probably going too wait until people calm the hell down before I get a Mini 14, but I did find a guy selling one with a scope, sling, and 3 30 round mags for $800, unfortunately I'm broke so I'm trying to make a trade, we'll see how that goes.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer App

#34 ·
GUNZ!! I loves me some guns :)

I shall contribute productively.

I have a 1911 Springfield, complete with competition package and such. Load my own rounds for this, and at my prime I could draw and shoot accurately with this badboy in 1.36 seconds, with shot-reload-shoot times in the sub 2 second category. Almost didnt buy this one actually, I was eying up a nice Kimber tactical that Sportsman's had for 1200. Then this came along BNIB for 750.... I couldn't say no.

AK74. Got this sucker for 400 bucks right before the 08 elections, along with 4k rounds of sealed military ammo. This thing is awesome, once the bolt had rusted shut from not using it. I used a doorjamb to get it open, cleaned out the rust, oiled and it shot perfect.

AR15, modded like baucsaus, because AR15.

AGlock 34, surprise christmas present. I'm not much for glocks, dont really like the feel, but I sure like the way it shoots (dead on)

Benelli M3 Super 90, complete with German military stamps, and stamped by H&K. Im itching to get a USP 45 in stainless, now that I mention HK...

And my latest, an HK MP5.... in 22 :p

Has anyone shot IPSC/USPSA?

#37 ·

Trench gun, Winchester model 1912. The beautiful thing about this gun, is that if you hold the trigger down, and pump it repeatedly, each time the action is pumped forward it will fire again :)

This is identical to my grandfathers old Ruger. I miss that pistol, first I'd ever fired.

#38 · (Edited)
one of my great friends and former co-worker has a very similar .22lr S&W revolver and I shot it last week!

as for the trench gun. man that is BAD ASS. I wish my 870 would fire like that, but I suppose back in 1912 when it was probably conceived not many people were too worried about what happened if you held down the trigger and pumped the action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.