BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2012 Scion FR-S

16K views 70 replies 23 participants last post by  mr29 
#1 · (Edited)
The 2.0-liter naturally-aspirated engine is the result of a joint development between Subaru and Toyota, bringing together their technical know-how and passion for sports cars. Subaru brings its newly developed horizontally opposed boxer engine while Toyota adds its D-4S technology (direct injection combined with port injection). This results in increased horsepower and torque without sacrificing fuel consumption and environmental performance.

The flat-four engine will be mated to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. The manual will offer quick and precise shifts with a short-throw, while the automatic transmission will feature sporty shifts controlled by steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifts. Power will be distributed effectively to the rear wheels through a limited-slip differential.

Based on an entirely new front-engined and rear-wheel drive platform the production model will offer the driver confident stability and manoeuvrability, while still being quick and nimble into and out of any corner.

The FR-S final production model will be realized around the idea of unique balance thanks to its compact dimensions, light weight design and low centre of gravity ensuring the best possible power-to-weight ratio and resulting in an intrinsic joy of driving.

Length: 168.2 in

Width: 71.5 in

Height: 47.4 in

http://www.ft86club.com/

http://sciclonic.com/2011/04/official-2012-scion-fr-s-concept-unveiled/

See less See more
1 1
#4 ·
I think I saw $28,000 estimate in Car and Driver. If that's the case, count me out. I like the design, but I can could get a Mustang V-6 for a lot less money and be ahead in almost every performance benchmark. Given that the ricer fanboys will eat up the supply for sometime making getting one for MSRP difficult, I'd just as soon have a 128i for similar money.

#11 ·
Totally missing the point of this car. Its only competition would be a Miata coupe or Lotus Elise, both of which are more expensive.

Heavy 3400 lb GT coupes are not in the same league with a 2700 lb rear drive sports car.

Having said that I'd rather have a Mustang GT. I must be getting old.

#8 · (Edited)
I wasn't sure on the Genisis. My phone capacity is very limited. My browser crashed twice clicking on this page. That's why I was asking. If I had a better phone I would have been able to search the answer myself. Anyways, this car seems better than a Civic SI which is what I'd think would be one of its competiors :dunno:

#13 ·
The BRZ engine output is 200 bhp at 7000 rpm and 151 lb.-ft. of torque between 6400-6600 rpm, though with strong torque numbers lower down the rev range. Inside the direct-injected engine are square 86-mm dimensions for bore and stroke, chain-driven camshafts and a compression ratio set at 12.5:1. The exhaust system has been designed to amplify the good noises when needed, but quiet down for cruising.

As part of the engine design, some of its external pieces were created so the powerplant could be located well rearward and low, part of that low center of gravity exercise. The transmissions were also reworked to minimize size and maximize placement.

Power spins to a Torsen limited-slip differential, backed with a double wishbone suspension that has some Impreza roots. At the front are MacPherson struts, while the steering has electric assist, a ratio of 13.0:1 and a tilt and telescope wheel. The disc brakes are inside 17-in. wheels with 215/45R-17 tires.

Subaru proudly points out the BRZ's center of gravity is lower than a Ferrari 458 Italia's, and its polar moment of inertia is lower than that of a Porsche Cayman S, achieved with the help of short body overhangs front and rear, and a radiator tilted rearward to minimize height. That 2770-lb. weight target was also a concern, leading to an aluminum hood and high-strength steel in the roof.

We can expect to see BRZs in the U.S. around May with prices starting roughly in the neighborhood of $25,000, including a nav system with a 6.1-in. display.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-shows/tokyo/2013-subaru-brz

#25 ·
They flew me over to Tokyo (for one night) to drive it. I came home exhausted, but very impressed. There is a good chance that it will be my son's first car in a few years.

Light and nimble, with plenty of horsepower for its price and segment. Most importantly, it is fun to drive (it makes the Genesis Coupe feel big and heavy).

- Mike

#19 ·
I'd get the Subaru BRZ version - Scion just adds too much of a "boy racer" look which I do not like. This is Subaru's baby; Toyota had little to do with actual development.

I'll definately take one for a test drive; light, sharp handling, RWD, nothing ridiculously complicated. What's not to like?? I had a Mazda3 very breifly; along with VW's I absolutely despise FWD. If the Mazda was RWD it would have been 1000X better.

Kinda reminds me of my old 240Z, only modern.

#20 · (Edited)
yeah, I'm pretty interested in one of these.

Is it down on power, sure, but if that is your primary concern this car isn't for you.

If it really comes in at 2700lbs, it should have a pretty good power to weight ratio, 13.5 bhp or so.

Its really supposedly more of a handler, like a Miata or Lotus as noted by the other poster above.

Personally, I kind of like the idea of this, because you can wind the 4 out, while still keeping sane, legal speeds.

Winding out a 270hp in a Genesis gets you going too fast, at least according to the coppers.

Always liked the Miata but don't like vert aspect of it....

If you can actually buy one of these for $23k....:dunno:

Its nice to see Toyota moving things in the right direction...

#23 ·
Not digging the exhaust note - sounds weak but don't expect much from this motor. Heck, as long as it does not sound like those "tuned" WRXs, it will be ok. Those things sound like the old lawnmower I used as a kid to cut our grass. So weak.

#24 ·
that and no serious sporty or performance car that is meant to handle would be rolling around on 215 width tires, even 200hp will easily overpower those, and Im still thinking that at 25K starting there are some better options available, but is IS nice to see something fresh coming out!

#29 · (Edited)
Subaru BRZ

Performance
***8226; All-new Subaru-developed vehicle-specific platform.
***8226; New 2.0-liter Subaru Boxer engine features "square" configuration (bore and stroke dimensions identical) for high-revving performance; double overhead camshafts and dual Active Valve Control System (DAVCS); fuel injection system combines direct injection and port injection technologies; very high compression ratio; high specific engine output: 100 hp/liter.
***8226; Choice of 6-speed manual and automatic transmissions; optional automatic has steering wheel paddle shifters, Sport mode, winter mode and downshift blipping control
***8226; Torsen® limited-slip differential.
***8226; Double-wishbone rear suspension.
***8226; Electric power steering.
***8226; 4-wheel vented disc brakes.
***8226; Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) and traction control system (TCS) with 5 modes, including Sport mode and TCS Off for track driving.
***8226; 17 x 7-in. aluminum alloy wheels with 215/45 R17 summer performance tires.
***8226; Aluminum hood.

Design and Amenities
***8226; Premium and Limited trim lines.
***8226; 2+2 seating with enough trunk and interior room to transport four tires and tools for track driving.
***8226; Standard navigation system with voice control and comprehensive infotainment capabilities (see standard equipment).

Safety Features
***8226; Ring Shaped Frame Reinforcement body structure provides outstanding occupant protection.
***8226; 3-point seatbelts for all seating positions, front seatbelt pretensioners and force limiters.
***8226; Subaru Advanced Frontal Airbag System; dual-stage deployment driver and front passenger airbags; front seat side pelvis/torso air bags and side-curtain air bags (SRS).
***8226; 4-channel/4-sensor Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist and Brake Override system.
***8226; Safety pedal system.
***8226; Whiplash protection front seats.

Standard Features, BRZ Premium
***8226; 12v power outlets: one in glove box and one in center console
***8226; 24-hour roadside assistance for vehicle limited warranty period
***8226; 3-spoke leather-wrapped tilt and telescoping steering wheel with redstitching.
***8226; Fold-down rear seatback
***8226; Aluminum-alloy pedal covers (including driver's footrest)
***8226; Auto on/off High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights, low and high beam
***8226; Touch-screen GPS navigation system with:
- 6.1-inch LCD screen
- AM/FM stereo with HD radio
- Single-disc in-dash CD player
- 196-watt amplifier
- 8 speakers
- MP3/WMA capability
- Voice activated controls
- Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity
- Bluetooth audio streaming connectivity
- iPod® control capability
- iTunes® tagging capability
- USB port
- XM® Satellite Radio (subscription required)
- XM NavTraffic (subscription required)
- SMS text messaging capability
- 3.5mm auxiliary audio input jack
***8226; Manual climate control system with cabin air filtration
***8226; Carpeted floor mats
***8226; Chrome interior door handles
***8226; Cruise control
***8226; Cup holders integrated into door panels and two in center console
***8226; Digital clock
***8226; Digital dual-mode trip odometer
***8226; Digital outside temperature gauge
***8226; Dome light with off-delay
***8226; Driver's footrest
***8226; Sport design instrument panel gauges: Speedometer, tachometer, digital speedometer integrated within tachometer, coolant temperature gauge, fuel gauge
***8226; Height-adjustable driver's seat
***8226; Illuminated ignition switch ring
***8226; Dual visor vanity mirrors
***8226; Leather-wrapped shift handle and parking brake handle
***8226; Multi function display with current and average fuel economy
***8226; Performance-design front seats with height-adjustable head restraints
***8226; Power door locks
***8226; Power side mirrors
***8226; Power windows with driver's and passenger's auto up/down with pinch protection
***8226; Rear window defroster with timer
***8226; Remote fuel door release
***8226; Remote keyless entry system with engine immobilizer system
***8226; Seatback pocket on front passenger seat
***8226; Variable intermittent windshield wipers

BRZ Limited adds:
***8226; Alcantara seat inserts with leather bolsters All-Weather Package (dual-mode heated front seats, heated exterior mirrors)
***8226; Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors
***8226; Dual-zone automatic climate control system
***8226; Fog lights
***8226; Front door courtesy lights
***8226; Keyless Access and Start with illuminated engine start/stop button
***8226; Rear trunk spoiler (body color)
***8226; Security system

Optional for Premium and Limited: 6-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode, downshift blipping control, steering wheel paddle shift control switches, sport shift mode and snow shift mode.

#34 ·
Except for the Corvette ZR1's, the Subaru BRZ's 18.0-inch center-of-gravity height is the lowest we've measured.

The Porsche Cayman was one of the benchmarks during the BRZ's development, and the ride is definitely Porsche-like. The BRZ corners flatly, and the suspension is stiff and buttoned down; it lets you feel every bump without a hint of harshness.

The tuning was no doubt made easier by a 2764-pound curb weight-312 pounds short of a Porsche Cayman R's and almost 600 lighter than a Nissan 370Z's-which helps the BRZ flow gracefully through right-to-left transitions.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-subaru-brz-limited-vs-route-napoleon-road-test

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.