BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Amazed by the ' (un)reliability ' comments about this SUV.

22K views 152 replies 44 participants last post by  BigEdko 
#1 ·
I have posted a couple of questions regarding which luxury SUV is 'THE ONE" to buy.

What I find -almost astounding - is the number of comments that say something like 'Well now that the X5 is 7 years old - it is finally quite reliable and all the bugs have been worked out so you can feel confident about buying one." Or" I bought or would recommend that you buy today's version rather than the first year of the gen three -X5. Never buy a first year BMW."
If that was said about any other brand - especially a LUXURY- high dollar brand it would be a death blow to sales and would quickly go off the "To be considered" list.

That said- I am also not sure this worry is appropriate-at least in re: the upcoming Gen three X5.
The 8 speed tranny has been around for quite a while now and is -as far as I know rock solid. The 4 and 6 cylinder twin turbo motors & diesel have also been around for a long time - and they seem to be reliable.
I assume this tranny and these motors along with some hybrid will be the power trains offered in Gen 3. My guess is , if anything, they may have tinkered with all of the above to squeeze a few more miles out of a gallon of fuel . That's a good thing.

So where is the disconnect? What goes wrong with these cars? What is the basis of this
seeming 'consensus' that one has to accept a degree of unreliability if one wants to drive a bimmer?
P.S. I'm still loving my 528iX - quirks and all.

See less See more
#52 ·
They just won't. They don't have to

There is just one rule in life and business,,,"You do what you have to " Everything else is negotiable ...With sales up what 28% and the X5 in the top 2 leaders...they just dont have to put in the work or money...its that simple.

I have always wentthe safe and reliable route...Tundras for me and Acuras for my wife..many years ago I had my eye on a 2002 Tii ( yea I am that old) and my logic talked me out of it....I test drove the X5...just loved the feel...I ( and many others ) will take the chance..

#53 ·
I agree with the comments on this thread. I have owned three BMW's over the years. 2000 M Roadster(still own), 2007 X5 4.8(no longer own), and current 2010 X5 35D. My 2000 M Roadster is built like a tank and very reliable. 2007 X5 4.8 was very reliable (proven gas engine) and operated flawlessly for 60K miles until I bought the 2010 X5 D. When I bought the X5D I was planning to keep the car and drive it for a long time e.g. over 100k miles. However, this vehicle has more recalls than Bill Clinton and has been in for minor warranty work four times in 50k miles and three years. I am retired and use this vehicle to drive from Minnesota to Arizona and back once a year. My ultimate bummer would be to get stranded in New Mexico or the Texas panhandle with a vehicle that won't run. Anyway, I have owned a lot of vehicles over the years, including Mercedes, Lexus etc. This is he first high end vehicle that I do not totally trust in terms of reliability. My view is that my vehicles are transportation and as such I expect that if I take care of the necessary maintenance that they will be reliable and not leave me stranded. Next, I like some luxuries, safety and handling and am willing to put up with some additional maintenance costs to get it (e.g. more frequent brake pads etc). However, I am not willing to sacrifice dependability. The car should start and be reliable for long periods of time without warranty problems that can impede dependability, especially in a high-end vehicle at these price points. The problems with this vehicle are not because it is such a high performance vehicle, it is because it is poorly engineered on the margins. Handling, braking, body etc , well engineered. Engine and engine control system, fuel handling system are weak and problem prone.

BMW and my dealer have stood behind the fixes, however now that I have 50k miles I was pretty much forced to either get an extended warranty or sell the car. I usually do not purchase extended warranties and I have a tendency to keep my vehicles over 100k miles. Usually, by 50 miles I will have a sense as to wether the car is bug free and worth keeping as the bad stuff will usually become apparent in the first 30k to 40 miles and once fixed you are good to go.

So, in conclusion, in my humble opinion, this low sulfur diesel engine control system is very new and somewhat a work in-process for BMW. All the nitty failures of parts of the engine control system are indicative of this. And even though BMW has replaced the parts that have failed, I am not convinced the the same thing won't happen again and again due to the overall engineering of the system and components.

I plan to stick with my X5D to 100k miles now that I have purchased an extended warranty so we will see how it goes. If reliability continues to be a problem I will sell the X5D and move to another brand that I can be assured will get me there. There will be trade-offs in handling an performance, but with this vehicle it is more about the utility for me. I can toss my M Roadster around for kicks. BMW builds some great cars. However, I would give them a grade of D minus on the engineering of this diesel.

#54 ·
However, this vehicle has more recalls than Bill Clinton
My 2003 Honda Accord had more recall than Bill Clinton. In fact, I have to take it back for another recall this April after 10 years (they don't have the parts yet. ) BMW is the first car I had to take it to dealer with a check engine light. In fact, I don't know any body that had the same problem in the first month if ownership. Although, BMW is still one leg up from Chrysler. My 2001 Chrysler minivan could not start in the garage after a few months on the job. I hope this BMW x5 won't do that.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

#61 ·
What's interesting is that when Lexus was dominating the luxury segment in the US year after year, they were #1 in IQS, VDS, resale, customer service, everything. Hell, Toyota/Lexus do FANTASTIC paint jobs. Go look at any pearl white Lexus. flawless.

So the excuse that more volume = less quality is a poor argument here. Even look at Toyota. Super high volume, they dominate CR and JDPower by being at the top with Lexus/Scion.

#62 · (Edited)
How is reliablity judged?

They rank Infiniti higher, but from personal experience, they suck. For example, the windows brake light on certain years of G35 fails for 90% of people. You would think they would have issued a recall, considering its a safety issue as well.

Also, the gas lid locking solenoid fails for everyone too. And god forbid you turn off the engine when the window is closing, because you will fooock up the entire window closing mechanism.

I would rather pick a manufacturer that, you know, actually resolves stuff with recalls.

#64 ·
What is the basis of this seeming 'consensus' that one has to accept a degree of unreliability if one wants to drive a bimmer?
P.S. I'm still loving my 528iX - quirks and all.
Perhaps the complexity of all the features in BMWs? Maybe they are "pushing the envelope" with new technologies? I don't know the reason, but I can give you my personal experience.

I am 61 years old and own a 2004 Z4 and a 2010 X5 diesel. Each of these vehicles has individually had more problems than all of the other cars I have owned in my life combined, e.g., my Z4 had to be flatbedded 100 miles to a BMW dealer due to a failed ignition coil. Then another one failed, but I was near home and could replace the coil myself. So now I travel with an OBD-II code reader and a spare ignition coil in the trunk. It also got a check engine light due to a cracked rubber accordion boot on the air intake which was letting air in post-MAF and making the engine run lean. Etc. Just yesterday I got a check engine light on my 2010 X5, so it's back to the dealer again (P01C1, P00EB, and P0001 codes).

I like both of my BMWs a lot, but must admit I get nervous when traveling in the Summer on vacation in places like Montana, where there is not a single BMW dealer in the entire state.

If you want something reliable, buy a Ford, not a BMW.

#65 ·
I like both of my BMWs a lot, but must admit I get nervous when traveling in the Summer on vacation in places like Montana, where there is not a single BMW dealer in the entire state.

If you want something reliable, buy a Ford, not a BMW.
I'm also 61 years old, and bought a 2013 X5M to keep primarily at our home in NW Montana. I'm driving it around SoCal for a couple hundred miles to sniff out infant mortality and outfitting it with proper winter tires before driving it North. I dread the day I call BMW assist to have the X5M flat-bedded 210+ miles across Idaho, and into WA to the nearest dealer (Spokane) when it breaks down.

#67 ·
That is for a good reason. X5 35D actually made CR recommend list for an SUV. That average rating sure help push it over the edge. :thumbup:

Still, 2009 is pre LCI and that is pretty good considering how many people on this forum blast pre-LCI reliability.

The 2013 variation seem interesting. Looks like 2012 is a good year. I wonder what happened? Did some manufacturing director/VP leave?

#68 · (Edited)
I've had ten BMW's over the years and even had a buy back and two M's. I've recently decided that my loaded out '11 X5D with 31,000 won't be with me after the 50,000 warranty is out. It's not that it's bad, but CEL's, recalls, etc just tick me off nowadays. I move back and forth between BMW and Lexus and I'll probably be going back. Heck, I don't even know my service rep for Lexus. The BMW rep and I are great friends and I almost want to consider him family by now.

Like I said, it's not bad and they give me a loaner each time. Service is great and I love the car. I may change my mind before the 20,000 wears out but for now, that's where I'm headed. Would I recommend a BMW? Of course!!! It's one of the best cars out there and a blast to drive. It's just that coming up towards retirement, I'm looking for less distractions in my life...

#69 ·
I've had ten BMW's over the years and even had a buy back and two M's. I've recently decided that my loaded out '11 X5D with 31,000 won't be with me after the 50,000 warranty is out. It's not that it's bad, but CEL's, recalls, etc just tick me off nowadays. I move back and forth between BMW and Lexus and I'll probably be going back. Heck, I don't even know my service rep for Lexus. The BMW rep and I are great friends and I almost want to consider him family by now.

Like I said, it's not bad and they give me a loaner each time. Service is great and I love the car. I may change my mind before the 20,000 wears out but for now, that's where I'm headed. Would I recommend a BMW? Of course!!! It's one of the best cars out there and a blast to drive. It's just that coming up towards retirement, I'm looking for less distractions in my life...
Lexus is going "H.A.M". If you dont know what HAM is, you`ll know when you step into any new LEXUS F-sport. I gotta commend them on this new turn around.

However As you said, Lexus is amazing in quality, hopefully this new direction they are taking wont affect their reputation...then only acura will be the sole reliable luxury moniker.

#70 ·
My wife drove one of the first IS-F's out there and loved it. Almost an M3 but then we had a granddaughter and we wanted a bigger chassis for her protection in case of an accident, hence the 7. I feel the LS is just too removed from the driving experience. I'll probably go with an LX or a new body Denali pickup when my X is used up.

#82 · (Edited)
I can remember back in the early 90's when my Acura Legend coupe was one of the ultimate status symbols and drove like a luxury GT. it had options not even thought of by other manufacturers of the time. Now look at them.

#84 ·
This whole thread sounds like a bunch of kids arguing who's better at what. This isn't going anywhere and let's not forget this is a BMW FORUM; presumedly populated by maniacal BMW fans/supporters.

If you want to rant about Acura, Lexus, Toyota or Mitsubishi (joke) superiority in the luxury market; GO TO THEIR "LUXURY LEATHER DASH" FORUMS!

p.s. BMWs are better! Lol

#95 ·
This whole thread sounds like a bunch of kids arguing who's better at what. This isn't going anywhere and let's not forget this is a BMW FORUM; presumedly populated by maniacal BMW fans/supporters.

If you want to rant about Acura, Lexus, Toyota or Mitsubishi (joke) superiority in the luxury market; GO TO THEIR "LUXURY LEATHER DASH" FORUMS!

p.s. BMWs are better! Lol
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: That probably is the best comment of 2013 thus far LOL :thumbup:

T

#86 ·
Interior Design

Interior design is to the taste of the individual. Hence I wanted to leave these right here. :dunno:

Also straight from the marketing sections of Each Indvidual MFG.

3 vs IS

Lexus GS vs BMW 5

Lexus GS vs Lexus CT vs Toyota Camry XLE

#89 ·
Interior design is to the taste of the individual. Hence I wanted to leave these right here. :dunno:

Also straight from the marketing sections of Each Indvidual MFG.

3 vs IS

Lexus GS vs BMW 5

Lexus GS vs Lexus CT vs Toyota Camry XLE

This pictures just help my argument. The Lexus ones (IS vs F30 and GS vs F10) look significantly higher quality. I had an F30 loaner the other guy. It's a better interior than the E90, but that's not saying much. It's much more low-rent compared to the E70 and its competitors (Audi A4, Mercedes C Class). Lexus got the interior of the IS bang on. The black and red combo looks awesome. Shame the exterior is dreadful :(

#92 ·
To each his or her own

To each his or her own.

You may like the stiched slush mold material combined with faux metal trim, but I like the neatly driver oriented dash of the BMW, with the grain of wood and hints of metal trim around the dash.

In the case of the IS, I LOVE the LFA inspired instrument cluster, however the rest of the cockpit reminds me of the cost cutting measures BMW took when desiginig the pre-lci X3 (e83). It also reminds me (if you memba) the Chevy LUMINA MPV from years ago. The x3 dash design was uncharateristic at the time, and well the lumina is no luxury vehicle, and its just a personal ref point.

To compare the F30 with say an X5 or any other higher or lower priced is litterally comparing apples to oranges (different vehicle r&d budgets). However you can if you want to, but then again you can also compare a Ghost to a Corolla and say Toyota did a horrible job :dunno:

#94 ·
Honestly I could sit here, behind my computer and gather statistics, data sets, reviews from A PLETHORA OF Automotive Journalists, however I don`t I need to do that. When it comes to Acura, its a luxury vehicle, yes its currently decideding where it needs and wants to go with their vehicles. They have had some good vehicles, like some have mentioned the previous RDX, current MDX (and whole lot out of production models). To be frank, I too judged Lexus as the Boring Beige Luxury marquee back in 04, however funny how 9 years laters Lexus is considered the E60 in Lexus clothing peferomance wise and it made an awesome supercar named the LFA. Just my 2 cents, but this debate on how Acura is pseudo-luxury can only be settled if we wait for what the future holds. I waited for the Lexus, and they didnt disappoint lol!

Back to regular programming on Bimmerfest lol!

#96 · (Edited)
As a former Acura owner for 19 years until this year, I found this latest debate very amusing. As much as I loved all of my Acuras, they served me well and I thoroughly enjoyed each one for over 100k trouble free miles each, I do feel that Acura has lost it's way in the last 5-6 years. While I feel that they have a reliability record that the Germans should hope to someday achieve, they have a long road ahead of them to consider themselves on par with Lexus and the Germans.

Point of clarification, while AutoUnion has criticized Acura for for changing direction with the RDX, there have been several reviews and write-ups that have noted that despite the impressive performance of the 1st generation version, it never really achieved the sales numbers that they had hoped for. Their research showed that the buying public really didn't care for the turbo four and didn't quite understand the benefits of SH-AWD. As a result they replaced the T4 and SH-AWD, for their tried and true 3.5 V6 and a more conventional CUV FWD biased AWD system.

Essentially you might say they elected to abandon being brash and different for going a bit more mainstream. It might be unthinkable for BMW followers, but it is what it is.

In my opinion (which isn't worth much), as long as Acura is insistent on basing all of their models on FWD based platforms, they will never be considered in the same breath as the tier I luxury brands. As such they will have to be content with being the value luxury brand.

When my 2006 Acura RL was introduced in 2005, it beat many of the German brands. Yeah, I know AutoUnion will find ONE Fifth Gear episode that didn't like it, but I have found (and posted) several more reviews that proved opposite. That RL had a $50K MSRP and a comparably equipped 5 series would have cost over $10k more at the time. It offered a ton of value, but the issue was that it was still based on a FWD platform, and it couldn't be had in RWD.

In addition to refusing to ever offer a RWD model, their other mistake is refusing to offer a V8 model. Instead choosing to wring out as much as they can out of their V6 engines coupled to hybrid power-trains.

Maybe they will be ahead of the game since it seems most people are going that way, but I still think you need to offer halo models (read again: V8 and RWD).

AutoUnion made me chuckle earlier when he argued that the Lexus GS is not based on the Camry, but instead on the Avalon.

Well the Avalon is based on a stretched Camry platform, and both the Camry and Avalon are FWD cars, the GS is a RWD vehicle.

Having said all that, I do agree with him that Honda has to do a better job differentiating the Acura brand. They also need to fire their design team. Despite their attempt to soften the snaggle-tooth schnoz, it is still ugly. You have to wonder if Acura had any focus groups.

Despite the technology they are going to put in the upcoming RLX, the styling is still a yawner to me. In addition it will be a FWD model first, with hybrid AWD (SH-SH-AWD) as an option. Inexcusable while BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi still offer V8s and RWD in their flagship models.

I also feel like they have taken a step back in their interiors.

Acura was the first premium Asian brand, Lexus followed, but Lexus went a different route. They aimed at building a better Mercedes than Mercedes did for less money. Now they don't have to make concessions any more. They are considered one of the big boys.

Acura chose to be different. It worked for a while, but eventually got left behind.

They still offer nice cars with great reliability and good performance, but they will not be taking sales away from the Germans or Lexus in the foreseeable future.

#98 ·
I believe LCI is, in BMW-speak, a "Life Cycle Impulse," or, in English, the typical package of product improvements car companies do around the middle of a particular model design's life cycle to keep the sales going. Other people might refer to it as a "refreshening," or "Mid-Cycle Improvement," etc.

#107 ·
Couldn't resist lol

#110 · (Edited)
I just saw the video of the unveiling in the Detroit Free Press and I agree that it seems more evolutionary than revolutionary, but then you can say that about the X5 over the years. I guess the mindset is to not mess with your bread and butter model.

The RLX is endemic of Acura's issues. There was a debate on Acurazine a while ago that if they are refusing to have a RWD platform, then the should have introduced the eSH-AWD model first and then introduced the entry level FWD model or at least both of them together.

The RLX will suffer the same fate as the previous versions of the RL. I don't care how much tech they put into it. It will be viewed as an upscale FWD sedan. It competes more with the Lexus ES, not the GS or the 5 series. Then again, isn't that what the TL is for (referring to competing with the ES)?

Just like Cadillac trying to say that the XTS is meant to compete with the 5 series and the E class, when it is essentially a dressed up Buick LaCrosse.

When the original NSX came out it was the test bed for technology that eventually trickled down to other models (VTEC, extensive use of aluminum, etc). I do think the 2nd gen RL kind of took that role for a very brief moment.

When it was introduced as a 2005 model in the fall of 2004 it highlighted the following features that didn't exist in other models:

SH-AWD
ACE construction
Adaptive headlights
Keyless entry and start
Aluminum suspension components
Carbon fiber driveshaft
Active Noise cancellation
Collision Mitigation (option)
Radar Cruise Control (option)

Now I'm not saying these features were first introduced by Honda/Acura, but the RL was the first car to have these features and some or most of these features eventually trickled down to lesser models. Since the NSX didn't exist, I speculate that they used the RL as their rolling test bed. The problem as has been discussed is that they let the car languish.

With the reintroduction of the NSX it relieves the RL of having to play that role, so then I don't understand why Acura is not building a true flagship sedan that will go after the Germans and Lexus. The RLX will not do it.

It doesn't even have looks going for it.

When I bought my Cadillac CTS Coupe I fell in love with the looks. Yeah there were other cars with maybe a bit more technology, or maybe a little quicker, but I loved how it looked.

The RLX doesn't even have that (for me).

I'm sure it will be reliable, but it just doesn't "move" me.

Pun intended.

#111 ·
A further point on the MDX. The previous models were only available in AWD trim. The newest model (like the RDX) can be had as a FWD model also.

Just reinforces that Acura has no intention of deviating from transverse mounted, front wheel drive platforms.

As such, they will never compete with the the Germans, Lexus and even Infiniti for that matter.

I guess that's OK if they want to be the Japanese Volvo as I called them before, but they need to stop marketing themselves as an alternative to those brands because no one is buying it (literally and figuratively).

#112 ·
The NSX on the other hand is flat out gorgeous (IMO). They should let those designers loose on the sedans.

#117 ·
It is not just Acura that has taken evolutionary approach to styles.

I have the same problem with BMW trying to make their sedan and SUV look a like. I wish they would invest more on different variety of designs. If the F15 photo is legit, the E70 and F15 does look fairly similar. Where as the Jeep GC actually looks quite different from previous model design. I actually like new style for the Jeep and it is dramatically different than previous generation (not referring to 2013 vs. 2014 but earlier one.)

Acura is changing to a different company. I am not sure the new direction will do them any favors. BMW is also changing. If rumors proves correct, the 1 series will have FWD. :yikes: I definitely won't buy their 1 series.

#118 ·
Necrothread resurrection

So, back to the reliability topic on BMWs, as a soon-to-be new owner, I am not getting the warm and fuzzy about our decision to drop coin on a BMW.

I thought I did my due diligence and assumed quality based on German engineering. But, based on what I am reading on this forum, these cars are a joke from a quality and reliability perspective.

Plus, it seems like the service departments at dealers can't write up a service order for an amount less than $1K. WTF?

Little bit of buyers remorse creeping in I must admit.

:dunno:

#120 · (Edited)
So, back to the reliability topic on BMWs, as a soon-to-be new owner, I am not getting the warm and fuzzy about our decision to drop coin on a BMW.

I thought I did my due diligence and assumed quality based on German engineering. But, based on what I am reading on this forum, these cars are a joke from a quality and reliability perspective.

Plus, it seems like the service departments at dealers can't write up a service order for an amount less than $1K. WTF?

Little bit of buyers remorse creeping in I must admit.

:dunno:
I can't speak to the reliability of a BMW. My about to arrive X5 will be my first. But I will say internet msg boards bring out more people looking to solve issues than people logging in for the first time saying "hey my bimmer is the best car ever." I have owned two Audis over the last 8+ years. One was an Allroad which I drove for over 80,000 miles from new. The second was an 2012 S4. Both were great cars.The allorad had its two front suspension airbags replaced under warranty right around 50,000 miles. Other than that, neither were ever in the shop once for anything other than normal ongoing maintenance. ie oil, a new set of tires, and brake pads. Thats it. When I bought the allroad I had spent time on the audi forums reading up on it and I was horrified by all the problems. So much so I almost didn't buy the car. Turns out I got 100,000 trouble free miles out of two Audi samples. The guy I sold the allroad to has stayed in touch with me. He hasn't had a problem in the 20 months since he bought and its about to click over to 100K miles. So, who knows? obviously YMMV

I have a friend that has an 09 X5 diesel. He has put 75K on in 5 years and other than a couple recalls, it has been trouble free and he loves it. I live in a condo building and there are 5 X5's in my garage ranging from brand new to 6 years old. I have talked to all them and they all love their X5's. Not a complaint in the bunch. Age group is 35-70. Will mine be trouble free? I have no idea. I hope so. Its covered to 50K miles and its the last year of the platform so I think my chances are better than ok. If its a nightmare, I will sell before 4 years and 50K and reevaluate at that time whether or not I want to buy another BMW . Every manufacture has problem cars. My aunt LOVES Acura TL's. she leases them and is on her 7th. A couple of them have had a ton of work done under warranty and obviously no skin of her back b/c its a lease. I only mention that b/c Acura is one of the more "trouble free" brands.

I bought it because it fits my needs and with the AD was a blast to drive. It should be at the dealer by this weekend. :D

Good luck with yours!

#119 ·
For what it's worth, we bought our 2011 in September with 31k miles. It now has 38k miles and we haven't had any issues with it.

#122 ·
I have already posted my experiences with my 2010 X5 D. I am now down in Arizona for the winter months. My X5 sits in my garage in Minnesota with a battery tender and 52k miles. We now drive my wife's 2005 Acura MDX on our trips to Arizona. Cost of fuel is roughly the same. MDX has 67000 miles on it and has only had fluid changes as recommended. Still has the original brake pads which have approximately 10k miles before they need to be replaced. Car is far more reliable, dependable and just as comfortable as my X5 with the 20 way adjustable seats that are heated and cooled. I have been a avid BMW fan, 2007 X5 4.8, still own 2000 BMW M Roadster as my summer car (love it and do all my own maintenance).

Wait till your warranty is up and you bring your X5D in for your first paid oil change. My bill was $159 and my SR caught me on the way out the door to tell me that the bill was incorrect and should have been $170 so that is what I should expect next time, exclusive of the DEF refill, which would increase it to $320. When I asked him why so much for and oil change he said that there is just so much more they have to do on the diesels. So I called a Indy. They quoted me an oil change of $79 on a 2010 X5D, exclusive of the DEF. I added my own DEF for a cost of $21 from Fleet Farm. Took 15 minutes to pour it in the two fill ports for the two tanks. "So much more they have to do" is a bunch of diesel smoke up your tailpipe. I love my SR but the BMW dealers are scaring the diesel owners that these are very complex vehicles (which they are) which require so much more special treatment ( which they don't).

Looking at my service receipt I could no see any evidence of anything other than an oil and filter change for my $159.

My wife has her oil changed at the local Honda dealer for $29.99.

Nuf said. I have been a huge car guy my entire life and I love a great performance car. However, I want a vehicle that I can drive everyday and not worry about it leaving me stranded. I have own two very high performance supercharged Ford Cobras which would go like stink and yet you could drive them to the grocery store or anywhere else. Only problem I ever had was keeping rear tires on them, for some reason they experienced excessive tire wear.

My 2000 M Roadster is also a good example. Great performance and probably the most fun all around sports car I have ever owned. Totally reliable and well engineered. Everything works and no complaints. So it can be done.

#124 ·
We've been very pleased with our 2012 X5d. My wife has put 30k on the car in 16 months. No real problems except one extra visit to the dealer to add more DEF fluid. Other than that its only been in the shop for routine maintenance.

I've had good luck with my 2003 M5 as well (I hesitate to say anything good about a car for fear of hexing myself).

Frankly, the worst car we've owned was a 2004 Toyota sienna (chronic alignment issues, replaced cat. converters, front door welds had to be redone...twice, replaced wheel hub assemblies, etc...). In addition I've owned 2 different range rovers and the Toyota was still the most repair prone.

Bottom line....a car is a machine and its going to break. Drive something you enjoy and elicits that great emotional thrill some of us get from driving. BMW's are great at baking that excitement into the cake.

Prior to the X5d purchase we drove the MDX and RX. They are great cars but felt sterile and disconnected (just my opinion). My wife agreed and liked the BMW much more as well. Thus we spent almost $10k more and didn't buy what consumer reports recommended. So far its worked out and my wife is happy. Whatever you do get a car that you enjoy driving.

#125 · (Edited)
Deleted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.