BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Soft paint?

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Spartacus_33 
#1 ·
Anyone notice that the paint seems to be much easier to scratch on the E60s? This is my 3rd black bimmer..... and the other 2 seemed to have a much harder paint.

My detailer strongly recommends the clear bra on the darker colored E60s because he thinks the paint is softer than previous models too.

Comments?

#2 ·
Seems to me that the paint on all cars is weaker due to water-based paint vs. the solvent types (more eco-friendly). My E39's hood is decently pock-marked in several places on the hood. The paint still cleans up beautifully but the hood is a bit of a mess....

Since my 545i is leased, I'm not going to worry too much about the paint other than to keep it clean and waxed regularly...no clear bra for this car.

#3 ·
Ågent99 said:
Seems to me that the paint on all cars is weaker due to water-based paint vs. the solvent types (more eco-friendly). My E39's hood is decently pock-marked in several places on the hood. The paint still cleans up beautifully but the hood is a bit of a mess....

Since my 545i is leased, I'm not going to worry too much about the paint other than to keep it clean and waxed regularly...no clear bra for this car.
Hummmmmm, my E39 was a 1999 and the paint was great.

Now... each time I wash my E60, I seem to find a new (minor) scratch here and there.... :mad: and I am very anal about everything with this car.

These minor scratches can probably be taken out easily each time I have it detailed, so I'm not too freaked out about it... just curious if anyone else had noticed it.

I love black, but if this is what the future looks like.... it will probably be my last.

#5 ·
BMW (and most other companies) uses water based paints now for environmental reasons, which are softer than solvent based paints previously used.

I was pleasantly surprised at the durability of my E60 paint, compared to the paint on the last few Carreras I've owned. Same is true for windshields--I read a lot of folks complaining about windshield chips, but--again--I've had much better luck on my 545i than on the past few Carreras I've owned.

#6 ·
Spartacus_33 said:
Anyone notice that the paint seems to be much easier to scratch on the E60s? This is my 3rd black bimmer..... and the other 2 seemed to have a much harder paint.

My detailer strongly recommends the clear bra on the darker colored E60s because he thinks the paint is softer than previous models too.

Comments?
If you're keeping the car, I'd strongly consider the clear bra.

From what I've read, it seems to be an excellent product.

However, I wonder if after 10 years it will be clear or yellow??

#7 ·
alpinewhite325i said:
If you're keeping the car, I'd strongly consider the clear bra.

From what I've read, it seems to be an excellent product.

However, I wonder if after 10 years it will be clear or yellow??
They are guaranteed for 5 years not to yellow/bubble/crack/peal... blah blah blah... I rarely keep a car that long, so should be fine.

#8 ·
Spartacus_33 said:
They are guaranteed for 5 years not to yellow/bubble/crack/peal... blah blah blah... I rarely keep a car that long, so should be fine.
I saw an E46 M3 this weekend (on the "dais" at a porsche dealership, no less) in Alpine White with a clear bra. It looked terrible. The clear bras may work better on darker colors, but there was a sharp delineation where the plastic ended, and the plastic as a whole was a completely different color than the paint.

-MrB

#9 ·
mrbelk said:
I saw an E46 M3 this weekend (on the "dais" at a porsche dealership, no less) in Alpine White with a clear bra. It looked terrible. The clear bras may work better on darker colors, but there was a sharp delineation where the plastic ended, and the plastic as a whole was a completely different color than the paint.

-MrB
MrB,

Are the peaches ready to pick yet? :rofl:

#10 ·
Spartacus_33 said:
MrB,

Are the peaches ready to pick yet? :rofl:
Don't know. I don't really like peaches. ;)

-MrB

#12 ·
Spartacus_33 said:

Comments?
Aside from a slightly uncomfortable driver's seat, the paint is my biggest gripe with my E46, I've got only 45k on a five-year old car, yet the hood is stone chip city.

Mine's Jet Black, too.

Ed

#13 ·
EdCT said:
Aside from a slightly uncomfortable driver's seat, the paint is my biggest gripe with my E46, I've got only 45k on a five-year old car, yet the hood is stone chip city.

Mine's Jet Black, too.

Ed
Hummmmmmmmm, guess the paint really has changed. My E39 had 80K on it, (was 6 years old) and I had maybe 4 minor rock chips on my hood.

#14 ·
Just took the Dingolfing plant tour. In reviewing the Dingolfing plant info...the paint shop is now water-less...they are using a power-coat technology and baking it on. Go to the Dingolfing plant site and take the virtual tour for details.

It is correct that the organic paint was replaced by water soluble paint technology...but the water based paints themselves have been replaced.

#15 ·
EdCT said:

Mine's Jet Black, too.

Ed
My 1999 E39 in Black with 71k miles has chips-a-plenty on the hood, bumper, mirrors, etc.

#16 ·
Spartacus_33 said:
If you rarely keep a car 5 years I have to wonder what the point of the clear bra is. I lease my cars through my office so every 3 years it's a new one so I never get the clear bra. If I was keeping it longer I probably would.

#17 ·
stream said:
BMW (and most other companies) uses water based paints now for environmental reasons, which are softer than solvent based paints previously used.
My previous car, a '93 318i, used some of the first water-borne paints which were too hard. The hood was covered with small rock nicks in the center of Pfennig/dime-sized disks where the clear coat had shattered. It was not a pretty sight.

#18 ·
remington said:
If you rarely keep a car 5 years I have to wonder what the point of the clear bra is. I lease my cars through my office so every 3 years it's a new one so I never get the clear bra. If I was keeping it longer I probably would.
That would be called "protecting my investment".........

#19 ·
My take on the whole clearbra thing: It extends the time for a front-end repaint.

Yes, the clearbra works and protects what it covers. However, the unprotected areas beyond the clearbra will still suffer...they just don't suffer as much as the protected areas HAD the clearbra not been installed.

So, in the end, you will have chips in the areas beyond the protection but it will take longer for those to accumulate to the point where you'd consider a repaint. Instead of repainting in 3 years with no protection, you repaint in 5 years with the protection.

Of course, this is all subjective and I just made up the numbers but I think you get my labored point. :)

#20 ·
Ågent99 said:
My take on the whole clearbra thing: It extends the time for a front-end repaint.

Yes, the clearbra works and protects what it covers. However, the unprotected areas beyond the clearbra will still suffer...they just don't suffer as much as the protected areas HAD the clearbra not been installed.

So, in the end, you will have chips in the areas beyond the protection but it will take longer for those to accumulate to the point where you'd consider a repaint. Instead of repainting in 3 years with no protection, you repaint in 5 years with the protection.

Of course, this is all subjective and I just made up the numbers but I think you get my labored point. :)
True........ just talked to my sister yesterday. She bought my 1999 E39 a few months ago and recently "pinched" a rock with her tire and it "rolled" up the side of the door leaving 4 chips! :mad:

#21 ·
Don't know if you would call it soft or hard paint.I just came back from a road trip to Fla. from N.J. 3000+ miles using I95 most of the time.If you guys know I95 its probably one of the worst interstate highways in the country as far as road condition and debris on the road way.When I got back home I did a complete detail job and didn't find ONE chip on the paint,(you could call it lucky),I took the same trip in my 99 323i and 01 330ci and came back loaded with chips in the paint.The point being what ever BMW is doing to there paint its a big improvement.
cheers
vern

#22 ·
vern said:
Don't know if you would call it soft or hard paint.I just came back from a road trip to Fla. from N.J. 3000+ miles using I95 most of the time.If you guys know I95 its probably one of the worst interstate highways in the country as far as road condition and debris on the road way.When I got back home I did a complete detail job and didn't find ONE chip on the paint,(you could call it lucky),I took the same trip in my 99 323i and 01 330ci and came back loaded with chips in the paint.The point being what ever BMW is doing to there paint its a big improvement.
cheers
vern
Vern,

My initial comment was how I am noticing this car accumulates (minor) scratches and swirls much more easily that my others. I am soooo anal with washing/drying etc....
- I wash front to back on the hood, roof and trunk.
- I wash vertically on the front, sides and back.
- I only use cotton microfiber towels
- blah blah blah

All of my other bimmers were Jet Black as well. This may well be my last black one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.