BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Installing aftermarket in dash navigation system

12K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Tom_558 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm a new owner of a 2011 X3 without the navi. I really don't like the window or dash mounts so I'm trying to find out if it's possible to have an "in dash navigation unit" installed. I've heard of people having this done on models 2010 and older, but i cant seem to get advice on 2011 or newer models. Any help or suggestions that anyone can provide are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hi Vortex4800, thanks for your response. I was afraid that would be the only option :-(

I also found online someone who would sell their navi from their X3 (model 2011 & newer), but I don't know if it would work for me because the BMW dealership said the idrive screen on my model is smaller than the navi/i drive screen. Also the person selling it has maps for Europe installed. Do you happen to know if I could get it updated with US maps, and would it work? And if the screen being bigger would cause a problem?

Thanks again. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello!! I'm on the same page as you but I'm going OEM all the way... Haven't found any information about how to make this happen on the F25, just read some guys that successfully did it

You could buy a "retrofit kit" from Patryk at Bimmer Tech or purchase it on ebay.. It includes the CIC (Navi), the CID (wider 8.8" HD screen) and the usb for the glove box to upload music to the HD Drive of the unit...

Yesterday I tried to do this CIC/Navigation retrofit on my car with no success, so I tried to use the HD screen with the non-navigation unit and it didn't work properly.. But I did not tried to use the Navi with the smaller screen, I could try this and tell you if it works.. However the screen installation is really straight forward and could be done in no more than 15 minutes so my advice would be to get the HD screen as well, it looks beautiful and it's around $200 usd on ebay if purchased separately

And yes, you could get it updated with US maps, but you need an FSC activation code and programming for your unit, as each unit is linked with the VIN number of the vehicle, so you have 2 options:

a) Go to this link and learn everything there is to know about E-sys, building the proper cable and how to do all it by yourself.. You could even do a lot of cool mods like enabling Video in Motion, folding mirrors, etc etc -- Cheaper Option
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619819

b) Hire someone like Patryk that has all the knowledge and he will make it happen for you, he even sells the "Package Deal" including all the hardware and software coding needed -- Expensive Option
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/
I have read a lot of great experiences with Patryk and I'm confident that you'll be in good hands with him... However, for me the price difference was around 700 usd + an estimate of 500 usd on taxes, so a total of $1,200 usd pretty much made my mind, so I went for the harder/cheaper route

Finally I just wanted to give you a heads up that I've encountered an issue when trying to fit the Navigation unit on the dashboard, it does not fit with the Equipment Mount that my car came with, on this diagram it's the number 3 part and my P/N is 51459193777, there are 2 other options for this part: 51459193778 and 51459193776. I've yet to figure out which one works for me
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=WY31&mospid=52632&btnr=51_8190&hg=51&fg=30

You could go to the thread I've started about this and see the pictures I've included over there.. If we add efforts maybe we could get this figured out sooner.. I have already posted a DIY guide to do this swap
Here's the link http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=624682

#5 ·
Installing in dash navi on 2011 X3

Hi RO-CK, thanks so much for your detailed reply. You gave me a lot of good info. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me on what you have found out so far. I'll look into these websites. I have to say you seem pretty tech savy, unfortunately I may have to go the Patryk route because with my luck I might screw something up.

Please let me know if you're able to use the navi with the smaller screen. Thanks again!

#6 ·
Hi RO-CK, thanks so much for your detailed reply. You gave me a lot of good info. I really appreciate you taking the time to educate me on what you have found out so far. I'll look into these websites. I have to say you seem pretty tech savy, unfortunately I may have to go the Patryk route because with my luck I might screw something up.

Please let me know if you're able to use the navi with the smaller screen. Thanks again!
I don't think it's unfortunate to go the "Patryk's route".. If you can afford it, then by all means do so, I think it's the best way to go, he will probably do in 2 hours what I did on a whole weekend and took me a month of research, you'll save yourself a lot of time.

Will let you know if the smaller screen works with the CIC unit as soon as I can

#7 ·
Installing in dash Navi

Hi RO-CK, do you know if Patryk responds pretty quickly? I noticed he doesn't have a US phone number, but I see that his closest shop to me is in Ft. Lauderdale, FL, which is about 3.5 hrs from where I live (based on the website you sent me). I sent him an email, and I'm just wondering how long it will take him to respond. Also, I didn't see any Navi's on his list of available items (on website). Where did you purchase your CIC unit? Also, did Patryk confirm that it can be done (installing the 8.8in screen & replacing the 6.5in one)?

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. Even if its possible, I'll have to get a quote from him because I may not be able to afford it. Did he give you a quote for everything, (parts and installation)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.