BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E39 Facelift Halogen to Xenon HELLA OEM retrofit

31K views 72 replies 14 participants last post by  tmvE39/E53/Z32 
#1 · (Edited)
I got these headlights from ebay and I I want to retrofit my Facelift Halogen 2001
They are xenon OEM hella from 2003 530i

last night in installed them on 2003 530i car with xenon
( simple swap just to be sure that all is in working condition ) before Halogen swap

2 questions :
1 I need to do some light correction , right side it down left side is up
As far as i can see adjusters are not broken and auto leveling system is working
How you guys adjust your headlights ?
2. Xenon light is kind of purple . My OEM is white ... is it headlights or bulbs ?
just strange for me , i am kind of new to this staff
thanks

See less See more
#6 ·
Lights look like they are in good shape. Hopefully your adjusters aren't broken. If not, adjustment is very simple with the white turnstyle adjusters up top. Good luck~!

#7 · (Edited)
yap you right
no they are not broken , no movement at all
Last night i played a bit and adjusted them ( up down movement ) , thanks to bluebee
I need to try left right adjustment as well

Guy told me they are off from 540i and this why they have purple color

If you ask me i like white color more ... which bulbs I need to look for ?

#9 ·
Purple color means the bulbs are not creating the chemical reactions that produces the light. Inside an HID lamp, there's this chemical called halide. WHen voltage is applied between the two electrodes inside the lamp, a chemical reaction takes place because this element is negatively charged and will react to the positive charge. It's this reaction that produces the light.

#23 ·
thanks guys
just point me where I can buy best OEM white bulbs ( Philips ? ) and i will be happy

can somebody post a picture where auto level server is connected ?
Again, what bulbs do you have now?
Pictures?
You probably do not need to replace the bulbs.
You are probably only comparing the halogen light temp. to the HID D2S light temp.

To buy OEM HID bulbs, reference the EAC link I posted above, or look on HID Concept, or on Ebay.
http://www.hidconcept.com/Bulbs-Philips4K.html

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ph...2s+bulb&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1311

#24 ·
#25 ·
#26 ·
Since when does it matter where light bulbs are made from? And these have as good a warranty as any. I don't mind buying German when it make sense, but for light bulbs? :dunno: In any case, I'm just providing my experience to the OP but feel free to choose what works best for you.

#35 ·
Yeah the first time is kinda quirky but once you see how the bulbs are in there it's incredibly easy to swap them out. Did you find a good price on the bulbs?

#37 ·
Damn now that's cheap! Awesome deal man :thumbup:

#39 ·
True, but that seller swears they are the real deal. Not that it means anything mind you but he appears to be a reputable seller. I wouldn't pay $300 for these but I would pay $30 for them. Let us know how the compare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.